Biden says U.S. sending medium-range rocket systems to Ukraine

onthedarkside

Screenshot_4.jpg.17ecf78ee2dd475ab38cac81971d84f7.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration says it will send Ukraine a small number of high-tech, medium-range rocket systems, a critical weapon that Ukrainian leaders have been begging for as they struggle to stall Russian progress in the Donbas region.

The rocket systems are part of a new $700 million tranche of security assistance for Ukraine from the U.S. that will include helicopters, Javelin anti-tank weapon systems, tactical vehicles, spare parts and more, two senior administration officials said Tuesday. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity to preview the weapons package that will be formally unveiled on Wednesday.

(more)

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-technology-government-and-politics-d3265158d6fff41594d247340fa4d53a

AP2.jpg.a1dc2d7e6fe3e775673e4730ae75573f.jpg

• Sad 1

West promises Ukraine more, better arms to fend off Russia

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — The U.S. and Germany pledged to send Ukraine some of the most advanced weapons yet for shooting down aircraft and knocking out artillery as Russian forces waging a grinding offensive in the east Wednesday closed in on capturing a key city.

Germany said Wednesday it will supply Ukraine with modern anti-aircraft missiles and radar systems, and the U.S. planned to unveil a new weapons package later in the day that includes high-tech, medium-range rocket systems.

The U.S. is trying to strike a balance by helping Ukraine battle ferocious Russian artillery barrages while not providing weapons that could allow Ukraine to hit targets deep inside Russia and trigger an escalation of the war.

(more)

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-kyiv-technology-4f8e7d017b5fd67d80fb42d23b27b3c1

AP2.jpg.1fde0e542b9217e6c525bd3dc139f84c.jpg

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Biden is justifiably gaining great popularity and respect as a leader in the west because of his leadership with helping Ukraine. But unfortunately for him, in the West of the U.S. (and elsewhere) his poll numbers are in the toilet. Normally success in war leadership helps incumbent presidents politically but not this time (domestic problems). This missile decision is a reasonable compromise although I wouldn't blame Ukraine for wanting to bomb Moscow after what genocidal war criminal Putin has done to them. 

Biden and the USA have been quite anonymous in the Russian/Ukrainian conflict .

All I can recall is Biden making an attempt at a speech, whilst reading from the auto cue aboutut something like "The Russians might win, but they wont win the spirt of the Ukrainians, " or something like that .

IMO, Biden should have sent Kamala Harris to meet with the Russians , say in Singapore or somewhere neutral and tried to find a peaceful solution , rather than just sending rockets and money 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You are correct. Trump would never have let this happen.

He would have tied the Ukraine up in a pretty bow and given it, with its 40 odd million people to Russia on a gilt plate.

Lets try and focus on the present, rather than talking about the past .

(Yes, I know, it wasn't you who started talking about Trump, it was someone else)

Just now, Lacessit said:

I seem to remember Chamberlain tried to find a peaceful solution with Hitler, we all know how that panned out.

IMO the best way to deal with dictators is to send them home with a bloody nose.

It's time for the forces of Good to meet the forces of Evil on the global battlegrounds and for the righteous to prevail - let the chips fall where they may - to usher in a  new world order - God willing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I seem to remember Chamberlain tried to find a peaceful solution with Hitler, we all know how that panned out.

IMO the best way to deal with dictators is to send them home with a bloody nose.

So, you are in favour of World War three and you think that the Biden and the USA should lead the Western World into a war with Russia and defeat Putin, like what happened in World War two ?

• Like 1

Ha! Jingthing, never miss a chance to make it a political debate eh?

As for the war itself, it is very difficult to form an opinion. Has Pres. Putin done what he wanted to do in Ukraine? That is, to take over certain parts and not others. With reports from various outlets it would seem that he made a mess of it with what would appear to be indiscriminate bombing etc killing many. Or was that intentional so as to anger other nations about the carnage and provoke the 'western allies' into a full scale war? I don't actually know but I would think the US is not the only country that could supply long range missiles and it would seem that none have done so...yet. 

Edited by TKDfella
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So, you are in favour of World War three and you think that the Biden and the USA should lead the Western World into a war with Russia and defeat Putin, like what happened in World War two ?

There are plenty of metaphors about what happens if you ignore the schoolyard bully as apposed to standing up to the schoolyard bully.

There is risk involved.  You may get your butt beat.  But then, often you find out exactly what the schoolyard bully is made out of and the success of beating the bully makes the schoolyard as safe haven instead of a place of constant fear. 

Perhaps it's time to stand up and fight for all that is Good and righteous.

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Putin has no intention of taking over Europe though , its actually NATO/E.U. that wants to expand their influence into the Eastern Block by aligning themselves with Ukraine , at the expense of Russia 

Did you speak to Putin about this or is this just your opinion dressed up as fact?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I'm in favor of letting the sanctions work, and supporting the Ukrainians. Both tacks are winning.

The only person who can start WW 3 is Putin, and he knows once he starts using nukes, Russia would be annihilated along with everyone else.

I suspect he also knows now his military is not up to snuff against the combined NATO countries in terms of morale, organization, and technology.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, connda said:

There are plenty of metaphors about what happens if you ignore the schoolyard bully as apposed to standing up to the schoolyard bully.

There is risk involved.  You may get your butt beat.  But then, often you find out exactly what the schoolyard bully is made out of and the success of beating the bully makes the schoolyard as safe haven instead of a place of constant fear. 

Perhaps it's time to stand up and fight for all that is Good and righteous.

I do admire your stance about standing up to bullys and fighting back against them . Standing up and fighting against evil dictators and fighting for what is good and righteous .

That is the spirit that won previous wars against evil  .

We need to stand up and fight against them .

The World needs brave Men like you . 

When do you intend flying back to Europe  and joining the army to fight the Russians ? 

Will you be joining the Ukrainian Army ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Putin has no intention of taking over Europe though , its actually NATO/E.U. that wants to expand their influence into the Eastern Block by aligning themselves with Ukraine , at the expense of Russia 

I suggest you check back on what Putin has said repeatedly, he wants to restore the USSR to its former glory. IIRC, the USSR extended all the way to a partitioned Germany.

• Like 2