Balance of power in Bangkok shifts to liberals as national poll looms

webfact

image.jpeg

Vote tallies from the recent Bangkok Council elections show that support for the liberal camp is growing at the expense of the conservatives in the capital.

If the Election Commission endorses all winners of the May 22 poll, Pheu Thai will be the biggest party in the Bangkok Metropolitan Council (BMC), occupying 20 of its 50 councilor seats.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The progressive Move Forward Party will hold 14 seats, while Thai Sang Thai will have two. Put simply, the BMC will be dominated by the so-called pro-democracy camp. The BMC and Bangkok governor are to the city what Parliament and the prime minister are to the country.

Contesting the council elections for the conservative camp were the Democrat Party, who won nine seats, Raks Krungthep Group (3) and the Palang Pracharath Party (2).

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/balance-of-power-in-bangkok-shifts-to-liberals-as-national-poll-looms/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-06-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

I wander how many people here really vote about political opinion. Like this is liberal politics that that is conservative.

For me it looks like that family name does this person have? How is his/her father? How corrupt do I think is this or that person?

For me personally the first question would be: How competent and honest is this candidate? If then more than one candidate is left then I can start thinking about possible difference in what they promise they will do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wander how many people here really vote about political opinion. Like this is liberal politics that that is conservative.

For me it looks like that family name does this person have? How is his/her father? How corrupt do I think is this or that person?

For me personally the first question would be: How competent and honest is this candidate? If then more than one candidate is left then I can start thinking about possible difference in what they promise they will do.

The Liberal [whatever that is] faction of the same old traditional political machine. 

No such beast.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Mr. Thaksin; please pack your bags, your triumphant return is nigh.

Why would you need Thaksin to come back?  If the theme is progressive left-wing politics improving Thailand, surely stepping away from the old guard of corruption, cronyism and lack of freedom of speech would be the way to go?

47 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Why would you need Thaksin to come back?  If the theme is progressive left-wing politics improving Thailand, surely stepping away from the old guard of corruption, cronyism and lack of freedom of speech would be the way to go?

"Why would you need Thaksin to come back?"

You misunderstand, I don't need him to come back. In fact, when he was in power I wanted him gone, replaced in an election with someone better.

Someone like Tanathorn. Alas, the old elite will make sure that won't happen until there's been a seismic shift in the way Thailand is run.

"If the theme is progressive left-wing politics improving Thailand, surely stepping away from the old guard of corruption, cronyism and lack of freedom of speech would be the way to go?"

I don't think that's the theme of this thread although I very much agree that the only way forward for Thailand is getting rid of the old guard as a first step.

But I do find it LOL funny that Pheu Thai (and the Move Forward Party) absolutely crushed it in Bangkok, which is generally considered a bastion against Pheu Thai and it's brown-skinned unwashed uneducated and unrefined sea of supporters.

I bet there were a few Bangkok based Thaksin-hating farangs who choked on their croissants this morning when these results were published!????