NE Thailand: Gran and granddaughter murdered - assaulted and strangled in vicious attack

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on what they referred to as a dreadful murder of a grandmother and her 19 year old granddaughter at a house under construction in Wapi Pathum district of Maha Sarakham province, north eastern Thailand.

Their heads were bashed in with a blunt object. The younger woman's neck had apparently been strangled with an electrical cord. The assailant stole two phones but left a gold ring.

Whether the motive was theft or sexual assault is not yet clear. 

It happened in the Wai sub-district where Nakha police went at 9 am last night along with medics.

The house had windows but no front or back door. On the second floor was Thongkhoon, 75, on a mat in a sarong. She had head injuries.

Next to her was Thassanee, 19, on a mattress dressed in t-shirt and shorts. There were signs of strangulation along with head injuries.

Bloodstains were found on a charging cord. 

Forensics were on the scene gathering fingerprints but were unable to tell as yet precisely what had happened. 

A friend of Thassanee or Yok, said they would go to study together every day but she was not home so she went to find her at her gran's house.

She fainted when she saw what had happened to her friend. 

A male friend said he spoke to her on the phone at 12.20 am and she said she was going to bed. She didn't answer calls in the morning so he sent her a text message saying to meet at college. That's when he found out she'd been murdered.

Pranee, 48, Yok's mother, said that at 6.30 am she called her daughter as it was getting late to get ready to go to Wapi Pathum Technical College. She went to her mother's house and found the bodies. 

Her daughter usually lived with her but had gone to her gran's to be a friend while her house was under construction. 

Nothing like this had ever happened in the area. She suspected planning - a dog had been poisoned three days ago.

Deputy chief of the Maha Sarakham police Pol Col Thawatchai Satyaphat said it was a horrendous crime and the provincial authorities were working with the local force.

Two young men in the village have been interviewed. The motive could be sexual or robbery.

All those involved in the construction of the house are being interviewed. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 8

I'm without words and losing hope in humanity. I blame the murderer(s), sure, but if you look at the macro picture, homo sapien is in flames. Maybe we always have been. This kind of event, and the many atrocities world-wide, beg the question: do we deserve the coming extinction that we are aware of, that we won't accept, that we won't do a damn thing to avert? Every non-human entity would shout a resounding, "YES!" I have pain in my life that seems unbearable often enough. Yet never anything like this, not even close. How do you survive it, I have no idea. Or maybe you don't. One of the saddest stories to come out of the recent Texas massacre was that of the husband of 24 years of the slain teacher and mother of four. He died the morning after she was killed of a heart attack, of a broken heart. Gosh, it makes me cry.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4