Comedy Star Bernard Manning Dies

funfun

Comedy star Bernard Manning dies

Manning was a singer and compere before entering comedy

Manning obituary

Controversial comedian Bernard Manning has died aged 76 after being treated in hospital for a kidney condition.

He shot to fame in the 1970s on ITV programme The Comedians, having already developed a career in music as a vocalist and a compere.

His website branded him "one of the most outrageous and successful comedians of our time".

Manchester-based Manning denied being racist, once remarking: "I tell jokes. You never take a joke seriously."

However, in 2002, he was banned from performing in the Dorset seaside town of Weymouth, where councillors were worried that his act would breach laws on race.

Until his dying day, he didn't understand what all the fuss was about

Biographer Jonathan Margolis on Bernard Manning

He died in North Manchester General Hospital at 1510 BST on Monday.

Last month a tribute to him was paid at the recording of a proposed TV show entitled This Was Your Life, in front of an audience of 600 friends and fans.

He told them: "I'm going to be with you for a long time yet!"

BBC website

He sure was a funny bugger!

Totally agree with Russ - you'd never have heard him being PC.

Saw comedy for what it was and he had no time for those morons who were so far up their own backsides they didn't know he was simply taking the p*ss.

Bet the man upstairs is glad to have him home. RIP big man.

Yep. It was great to have someone still around that was being banned by purist Councils up and down the land. He will be missed. Especially by those fans that enjoyed watching some overweight battleaxe woman councillor saying why he was being banned from a council-owned venue!

Yep. It was great to have someone still around that was being banned by purist Councils up and down the land. He will be missed. Especially by those fans that enjoyed watching some overweight battleaxe woman councillor saying why he was being banned from a council-owned venue!

brings back memorys of my teens truely up there with tommy cooper -bob monkhouse ,now he is :o rip

RIP Bernard. Truly one of the funniest comedians ever in the history of comedy. Never sold out to the PC brigade either.

Ditto AjrnRuss

Thanks for the endless laughs Bernard

R.I.P :o

Edited by chavy