Postage Duties On Personal Parcel From Aus

redcaretta

Hi All,

First post on the forum here... not new to reading though...

I'm looking for some advice here, I'm currently living on Koh Phangan and have just purchased a second hand video camera with underwater housing from a private seller in Queensland, Aus. Not eBay or anything, just a private sale.

I now have the problem of getting it here as I am reading all kinds of horror import duties stories.

What's the deal? Is it 30% of the value? If so I'm in trouble as I will be insuring it for AUD$2500 in case it never turns up and I can claim back what I spent. If it is 30% I will be up for duties in the region of AUD$700 :o

Is there anyway around the customs duties? Can I have it sent as an international registered parcel through the post and will it come straght to me on KPG or will I hve to collect it in BKK? It weighs about 15kg all up in it's packaging.

How about if I send it via courier?

Can anyone help please???

Thanks in advance

Redcaretta

I'm looking for some advice here, I'm currently living on Koh Phangan and have just purchased a second hand video camera with underwater housing from a private seller in Queensland, Aus. Not eBay or anything, just a private sale.

This is going to be complicated because:

1) the value of the goods

2) the size of the package

You are legally required to pay duty on the inport of the goods, irrespective of whether they are new or secondhand. I sent myself a box of books and personal effects from Australia when I went back there last trip. It was in an Australia Post carton and I had to pay full duty on everything even though they already belonged to me and I had paid the duty in Australia (GST) when I bought them. I had no option to pay up or lose the goods. The original calculation they made was to assume that Australian and American Dollars are the same value (I wish) and then converted to Baht at the US rate (yikes).

I also had to hire a customs clearance officer to do the paperwork for me which is of course another rip off.

I have since had packages sent to me by post and not had to pay duty - it is a hit and miss affair. However on the occassions I sent things or were sent things by courier I have had to pay EVERY time. An item such as a cameral housing should be insured and they will have on the paperwork its value. UPS and Fedex or whoever you use will calculate the tax based on this amount and add it to your bill when you get the goods. You will have to pay it before they hand over the package so there is no getting around that problem.

You may find it better and cheaper to wait until you next go back to Oz and bring the housing back with you as carry on luggage. Tell the airline you are wanting to bring it on board, you may have to take it to the airport the previous day or several hours earlier to help them organise the item. Sometimes they just want to see the size and if it can be hand loaded as a fragile item in baggage. I brought over my guitars this way. One came as hand luggage the rest were hand stowed in the hold. I had to pay a $100 for the excess but it got here safe and secure plus I missed out on the duty. Do the right thing and declare it as it will exceed the maximum amount allowed in as duty exempt but you have an almost zero chance of having to pay anything on it.

just my thoughts and having done it several times it has worked out better for me to do it this way.

CB

Thanks CB,

Just as I thought :o

I am busy sending out emails to anyone I know back home to see if anyone is heading out this way anytime soon. The soonest is in 6 weeks time so may have to just sit and wait...

I certianly don't want to get stung on import for 30% of $2500 and then have it calculated into US$!!! eesh!!

Thanks again...

Cheers

Redcaretta

I have since had packages sent to me by post and not had to pay duty - it is a hit and miss affair. However on the occassions I sent things or were sent things by courier I have had to pay EVERY time. An item such as a cameral housing should be insured and they will have on the paperwork its value. UPS and Fedex or whoever you use will calculate the tax based on this amount and add it to your bill when you get the goods. You will have to pay it before they hand over the package so there is no getting around that problem.

Sorry CB, forgot to ask, what was the import duty, was it 30% of the value or the value + shipping? Was it 30% or a higher or lower cost?

Thanks

Redcaretta :o

Hi,

Thanks for help so far, I got the following response from UPS Thailand;

Regarding to your enquiry, we would like to inform you that this kind of commodity is subjected to import duty rate of 3% and VAT 7%. base on CIF price. (CIF = Cost, Insurance, Freight)

Can some one tell me if I'm write with the following :o

The items are personal and used and purchased a long time ago but are worth around AUD$2500 together so will be insured for that amount which costs about AUD$60 and shipping will cost me about AUD$260. So is this right;

CIF

C = 2500.00

I = 60.00

F = 260.00

------------

------------

So import based on the CIF being AUD$2820.00, 10% (3% + 7% VAT) duty would be AUD$282.00. Is that correct?

I look forward to some advice...

Thanks

Redcaretta

Send it by one of the main carriers, such as Fedex, UPS etc.

Make sure the value clearly on the label of the package.

p.s. I have a lot of broken item's sent to me, so I make sure I clearly state that the item is broken and has no commercial value... :o

Hope that helps!

Hi,

Thanks for help so far, I got the following response from UPS Thailand;

Regarding to your enquiry, we would like to inform you that this kind of commodity is subjected to import duty rate of 3% and VAT 7%. base on CIF price. (CIF = Cost, Insurance, Freight)

Can some one tell me if I'm write with the following :o

The items are personal and used and purchased a long time ago but are worth around AUD$2500 together so will be insured for that amount which costs about AUD$60 and shipping will cost me about AUD$260. So is this right;

CIF

C = 2500.00

I = 60.00

F = 260.00

------------

------------

So import based on the CIF being AUD$2820.00, 10% (3% + 7% VAT) duty would be AUD$282.00. Is that correct?

I look forward to some advice...

Thanks

Redcaretta

Not quite right.

(($2820) + (2820 x 3%)) x 10% ie you pay VAT on the customs duty.