Overseas car licence to operate a rental car, tourist visa

3 hours ago, mrfill said:

That is contrary to what the UK government states.

"To drive a car or ride a motorcycle in Thailand, under Thai law you must have the correct licence and appropriate insurance for the category of vehicle you’re using. You will need to apply for a Thai driving licence or, if you already hold a UK licence, an International Driving Permit. If you drive a car or ride a motorcycle in Thailand without a valid licence, this may invalidate your travel insurance if you have an accident or injury."

from https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/safety-and-security

A list of countries and IDP requirements can be found here

UK travel advice ???? if you are in Thailand that is BS.

A UK full photocard type driving licence has all details of what you can drive in English.

It does not need an IDP to get a Thai DL from a DLT office.

With a full UK DL you can drive up to 90 days in Thailand.

OP has a Oz DL not same as UK DL.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Of course they wouldn't give your mate an M/C license. If the home license doesn't cover a M/C then there is no choice other than take the test.

And an IDP wouldn't make any difference at all because neither would that cover a M/C. IDPs only cover the same vehicles that your home license does.

You miss the point his DL in Oz included car, motorcyle etc but he didn"t have a IDP its something to do with you need a DL for the Oz state you live in.

If you go to live in another Oz state you need to get a new DL issued by that state.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

You miss the point his DL in Oz included car, motorcyle etc but he didn"t have a IDP its something to do with you need a DL for the Oz state you live in.

If you go to live in another Oz state you need to get a new DL issued by that state.

I do not think that I missed the point at all. This was the most significant portion of your post

''my Oz mate could not get a Thai DL for a motorcycle in Sukhothai DLT with his OZ DL because it didn't state Motorcycle on his OZ DL.''

And that is spot on right, IDP or no IDP.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I do not think that I missed the point at all. This was the most significant portion of your post

''my Oz mate could not get a Thai DL for a motorcycle in Sukhothai DLT with his OZ DL because it didn't state Motorcycle on his OZ DL.''

And that is spot on right, IDP or no IDP.

Yeah my bad apologies I was trying to explain as the OP is from Oz some DLT's don't treat Home DL's the same as I experienced with an Oz buddy I knew.

A home photocard full DL from UK with Motorbike and car on it all in English no problem. 

• Like 1