Makers of browser privacy extensions fear the end is near

topt

Headline from a Register article about proposed Google changes to Chrome builds -

https://www.theregister.com/2022/06/08/google_blocking_privacy_manifest/

It is a very long article but here is the final couple of paras -

Schmetz believes it's really important that people continue to have access to effective anti-tracking tools, particularly for blocking fingerprinting scripts.

"We definitely see a lot of fingerprinting going on," he said, noting that the ad industry has already moved beyond cookie-based tracking.

"Basically that these scripts are trying to create numbers that are unique to you and are being transferred in the requests. They are not being stored on your machine but are being predictably generated every time you visit a website. … It's very important to have tools that can block that because if you don't, you will be tracked right. There's no way to avoid it." ®

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clokwise said:

Over the years I've flipped between Firefox and Chrome as my "default" browser.

I switched to Brave some years ago (with Firefox as back up) and with the right settings very rarely see any ads - especially here on AN or TV as it was before. It's built on Chrome so I will be interested to see how this pans out next year.

and if Google still insists on tracking me,

They are never going to stop! You can see the same thing happening to Android supposedly in the interests of "security".......

Over the years I've flipped between Firefox and Chrome as my "default" browser. Often I use both at the same time. While both are fine, each have their pluses and minuses as well. But if I can no longer block ads, and if Google still insists on tracking me, I'm done with Chrome once and for all.

I use a combination of free Opera browser (with free VPN) and free Adblock + That works for me and I see few if any adds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clokwise said:

Over the years I've flipped between Firefox and Chrome as my "default" browser. Often I use both at the same time. While both are fine, each have their pluses and minuses as well. But if I can no longer block ads, and if Google still insists on tracking me, I'm done with Chrome once and for all.

try "Ungoogled Chromium"

Firefox does a good job blocking 3rd party cookies and fingerprinting, has respectable speeds, isn't chromium based so adds a little competition, allows ad blockers and extensions for things like youtube...so it's my main choice. It seems like every browser is collecting some information about you these days so it's really pick your poison.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, clokwise said:

I can't bear chrome and its ' agree to terms cookies' BS. I use Firefox  but there  are issues  with password and I use  DDG. My computer tries to force me to use Edge lol

8 hours ago, fdsa said:

Epic fail on the part of the marketing department - or so it seems if you read through the links you posted. 

Otherwise to me still the least worst option............

On 6/9/2022 at 1:21 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

If you don't want to be tracked that will be a lot of work and it will be expensive. And then there are still lots of people who will be able to track you. Better get used to it.

A good start would probably be using DuckDuckGo as search engine, access via VPN, and browser extensions (Firefox) Canvas Defender, Canvas Blocker, No Script, Privacy Badger, Privacy Possum and Ghostery. Plus a good Anti-Virus/Firewall solution.

If the NSA would be looking after me I would anyway be screwed otherwise. But for your everyday internet access this should do it. If anybody has a better idea I am all ears.

22 hours ago, fdsa said:

AFAIR these suck. Can't recall where I've read that, I think on CanvasBlocker github wiki.

My choice is uBlock Origin + uMatrix + CanvasBlocker + TamperMonkey / ViolentMonkey with a few custom scripts.

Also if you are a "power user" try this https://github.com/arkenfox/user.js

No Script does indeed prevent some sites from working correctly. Usually it is enough to temporarily enable the first bullet point. But uBlock Origin prevents the majority of sites from working - therefore disabled on my destop. You  must decide between Canvas Blocker and Canvas Defender.

And thank you for all the other suggestions. I will have a look at them.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this. Gonna try Canvas Blocker first.

For my general security, I run a few Linux virtual machines for various tasks (I have 32GB RAM) . One for just FaceBook, one for general surfing, an encrypted one for my banking and email, and one with a VPN for torrents, and whatever...

I also use Noscript, Ublock origin, Decentralize, Ghostery...

So with a canvas spoofer, my machines should appear completely different to each other.

AND my computer is back in the West at my mate's house. I access it through a Remote Desktop... so my info is never in Thailand on my local laptop.

Plus I do not use my phone for internet - just skype, and youtube. But I do use my phone to remote to my main computer. Never any info on my phone...

Lately I have been concerned about fingerprinting, so I am ging to install Canvas Blocker on all my virtual machines, and on my local laptop too.

cheers

On 8/15/2022 at 1:10 AM, wjmark said:

So with a canvas spoofer, my machines should appear completely different to each other.

unfortunately it is not enough, especially if you've cloned these machines and not installed each one from scratch. There are like a million fingerprints on the OS level and some of them are even used by the browsers to fingerprint users, for example "/etc/machine-id" on Linux.

On 8/15/2022 at 1:10 AM, wjmark said:

Lately I have been concerned about fingerprinting, so I am ging to install Canvas Blocker on all my virtual machines, and on my local laptop too.

google for "antidetect browser" - these are special heavily modified browsers with all fingerprinting functions removed and/or spoofed.

They were initially made by the russian hackers for the russian hackers but recently became popular among the general public for "legitimate" use e.g. spamming on Facebook or writing paid reviews on Tripadvisor :biggrin:

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1