He just wanted to go to Chunky Monkey, lol

If you know a Thai person who can't comprehend what it's like being a foreign tourist here, or even an expat sometimes, just show them this for some first hand POV.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Show this to a Thai person?

Are you serious?

21 minutes for that?

My lifetime is shortening 

They may find it insightful to get our perspective.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Must mean your perspective.   Certainly not mine.

Really?

You've never experienced this kind of thing?

Foreigners usually experience this as soon as they get off the plane at Suvarnabhumi and try to get a taxi driver to use his meter.

- Taxis in beach places?

- Tuk tuk rides?

- Boat rides?

- Massage?

- Drinking in a bar?

- Sukhumvit taxis at night?

- Tour guides?

- Restaurants at the beach?

You never experienced scams and squeezes at these places?

I mean, it's hard to do anything in tourist areas without this kind of squeezing more money out of you.

And even in villages. I've known the local farang having to buy food for the entire extended family when he goes to the supermarket, lol.

Edited by 2009

7 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Really?

You've never experienced this kind of thing?

Foreigners usually experience this as soon as they get off the plane at Suvarnabhumi and try to get a taxi driver to use his meter.

- Taxis in beach places?

- Tuk tuk rides?

- Boat rides?

- Massage?

- Drinking in a bar?

- Sukhumvit taxis at night?

- Tour guides?

- Restaurants at the beach?

You never experienced scams and squeezes at these places?

I mean, it's hard to do anything in tourist areas without this kind of squeezing more money out of you.

And even in villages. I've known the local farang having to buy food for the entire extended family when he goes to the supermarket, lol.

All taxi drivers use metres at the Airport  and have done for years. As for scams at restaurants and guides etc  I can only assume uou are are a very gullible or inexperienced  traveller. The Thailand you describe  bears zero resemblance  to the Thailand I know. Morocco, Kashmir, parts of India can be challenging but Thailand is the easiest, safest  most honest  place to travel  for people setting out. Some people from very structured western  societies think that being offered services is being hustled or being disrespected. It's not.  They need to return  home or learn something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

All taxi drivers use metres at the Airport  and have done for years.

Lol, please. Standard is to try to charge the tourist double.

The Thailand you describe  bears zero resemblance  to the Thailand I know. Morocco, Kashmir, parts of India

Well, I certainly experienced my fair share of scams in India and Nepal too, but most of SE Asia, including Thailand, is full of them as well.

I've been way off the beaten track, btw, and I've had (and seen) more troubles in Thailand.

I can only assume uou are are a very gullible or inexperienced  traveller.

I suppose it is gullible to believe when you are quite a price for a fare that it would be honored, rather than changing.

Just the other day, I saw a tourist at the Chao Praya River being ripped off. From what I could hear the guy had told him 300 and when he arrived he was being charged a lot more. The Thai guys were being really aggressive.

Some people from very structured western  societies think that being offered services is being hustled or being disrespected. It's not.

Yeah, like:

- "Buy me a drink"

-"Buy drink for my friend"

- "Give me a tip"

- "You have to pay more cos you big body"

- "I give you big plate of food cos you big man, pay special price"

And of course the double pricing on menus in restaurants, and massage parlours, and other attractions.

And when you go for a massage, but clearly she has no intention of actually massaging you. Lol

The tuk tuk tour scams.

• Like 1

All taxi drivers use metres at the Airport  and have done for years. As for scams at restaurants and guides etc  I can only assume uou are are a very gullible or inexperienced  traveller. The Thailand you describe  bears zero resemblance  to the Thailand I know. Morocco, Kashmir, parts of India can be challenging but Thailand is the easiest, safest  most honest  place to travel  for people setting out. Some people from very structured western  societies think that being offered services is being hustled or being disrespected. It's not.  They need to return  home or learn something.

I really like Thailand, warts n all.

But how some folks bury their heads in the sand (in denial) is really interesting ????

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 2009 said:

"You have to pay more cos you big body"

A few years ago I accompanied a friend to a laundry as he dropped off his clothes.    The lady inventoried them and then told him she'd have to charge him an extra 2 baht for each shirt due to their large size.

Without further discussion, he thanked her and proceeded to gather up his clothes and put them in his duffel bag.    He then headed off to find another laundry.

I asked him how many shirts he had.     Three he said.    So he stormed off to another laundry  with the goal of saving  a total of six baht because of his  "large body".

Since the whole incident took about a half an hour from start to finish, I'd estimate his time must be worth around 12 baht total an hour.    ????

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Well, I certainly experienced my fair share of scams in India and Nepal too, but most of SE Asia, including Thailand, is full of them as well.

I've been way off the beaten track, btw, and I've had (and seen) more troubles in Thailand.

I suppose it is gullible to believe when you are quite a price for a fare that it would be honored, rather than changing.

Just the other day, I saw a tourist at the Chao Praya River being ripped off. From what I could hear the guy had told him 300 and when he arrived he was being charged a lot more. The Thai guys were being really aggressive.

Yeah, like:

- "Buy me a drink"

- "Give me a tip"

And of course the double pricing on menus in restaurants, and massage parlours, and other attractions.

And when you go for a massage, but clearly she has no intention of actually massaging you. Lol

The tuk tuk tour scams.

The taxis at the airport always use metre with a 50 baht surcharge. You get an invoice  with a complaints telephone  number. If the OP doesn't  know this  then he has never  been to Thailand  or he can't follow the signs to the taxi  rank. Its that simple.

52 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Yeah, like:

- "Buy me a drink"

- "Give me a tip"

The tuk tuk tour scams.

I just find these complaints both exaggerated and childish.

I repeat - they bare no resemblance  to the Thailand I live in an travel in.

Some of the 'scams' you mention are price issues - it's up to you to negotiate  based ON WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD.

Some tuk tuk scams might  exist but as there are warning about tuk tuks and gems shops in every guide book only the gullible and greedy fall for it!

A massage where you don't get a massage!!!!

I'm sorry  but if a girl  refused to massage  you that's because  of your bad  behaviour or hygiene  issue.

You just seem an aggrieved  personality finding fault where there is none or very very unlucky OR a troll.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I just find these complaints both exaggerated and childish.

I repeat - they bare no resemblance  to the Thailand I live in an travel in.

Some of the 'scams' you mention are price issues - it's up to you to negotiate  based ON WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD.

Some tuk tuk scams might  exist but as there are warning about tuk tuks and gems shops in every guide book only the gullible and greedy fall for it!

A massage where you don't get a massage!!!!

I'm sorry  but if a girl  refused to massage  you that's because  of your bad  behaviour or hygiene  issue.

You just seem an aggrieved  personality finding fault where there is none or very very unlucky OR a troll.

I am talking about when you go for an actual massage but she doesn't have that in mind and she just spends most of the time trying to solicit extras (which is all she is interested in), when actually you just wanted a massage. Lol

But of course you don't get a massage. You get a lot of talk and a negotiation.

It's like this in 99% of the downtown massage places, even the normal looking ones. You can't blame an unsuspecting tourist for not knowing.

17 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I am talking about when you go for an actual massage but she doesn't have that in mind and she just spends most of the time trying to solicit extras (which is all she is interested in), when actually you just wanted a massage. Lol

But of course you don't get a massage. You get a lot of talk and a negotiation.

It's like this in 99% of the downtown massage places, even the normal looking ones. You can't blame an unsuspecting tourist for not knowing.

You are doing well, getting your posts and replies up. AN will be looking to upgrade your status.

• Confused 1