Pool renovation (grout due to extremly low pH destroyed 100%)

zappalot

After our incapable management destroyed the swimming pool grout and some concrete (water is leaking through to the floor below the pool now and it is confirmed by a civil engineer that all damage is caused by low pH of around 4 for many years) the also not so smart committee decided to renovate the pool. They just plan to empty it, remove the algae that has grown between the tiles and regrout it with some cheap new grout. Problem solved?

Just from visual examination it can be seen that even behind the tiles there is some air or dissolved grout/concrete.

I would opt for some expoxy based grout but who wants to listen to some stupid farang?

38 minutes ago, zappalot said:

I would opt for some expoxy based grout but who wants to listen to some stupid farang?

I'd put forward the exact plans they already have in place and be seen to be fully supportive of them.......that should make them think again and consider other options.

• Haha 1

Epoxy grout is over kill.

If the water balance is kept in place there will be no issue.

No one cares about water balance in this country!

90% Tric-Chlor is the culprit. Best have a salt chlorinator installed!

I have dealt with hundreds of commercial pools here & I get a blank stare when I question about this issue. (17 yrs)

I would also think some drum testing of the existing tiles needs to be done to see if any will need to be re-glued!

Some domestic pools we have redone needed nearly 1/3 of the tiles needed re-setting!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

Epoxy grout is over kill.

If the water balance is kept in place there will be no issue.

No one cares about water balance in this country!

90% Tric-Chlor is the culprit. Best have a salt chlorinator installed!

I have dealt with hundreds of commercial pools here & I get a blank stare when I question about this issue. (17 yrs)

I would also think some drum testing of the existing tiles needs to be done to see if any will need to be re-glued!

Some domestic pools we have redone needed nearly 1/3 of the tiles needed re-setting!

Agree with you but despite a civil engineer confirmed to the management that their low pH (caused by the 90% TCCA) is the problem they still refuse any responsibilitie. Useless to present scientific facts. They do not understand this. So it is not about if they care, they do not understand any science...

How to perform a drum testing? Knock on the tiles and see if it sounds hollow?

• Like 1

Just now, zappalot said:

Agree with you but despite a civil engineer confirmed to the management that their low pH (caused by the 90% TCCA) is the problem they still refuse any responsibilitie. Useless to present scientific facts. They do not understand this. So it is not about if they care, they do not understand any science...

How to perform a drum testing? Knock on the tiles and see if it sounds hollow?

Yep. Use a rubber handle or a rubber mallot. If it sound hollow take it of & reset!

• Like 1

As previously stated maintainance manegment companies have absolutly no idea about balanced water, It would seem to me that as labour is cheap here compared with the west a regout solves everything .Our 12x 25 m pool in our moobaan has similar problems lasted for 15 years then a regrout now it is part of the budget cycle cost 88k

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, unheard said:

How can they get the right idea if the proper pool tests are simply not available for purchase?

They are available. This is what I can supply! 

PM for details.

Test Kit_1013x768.jpg