Thailand freezes prices of 46 products for another year

snoop1130

3211C839-D587-43D2-90A3-219CAE552951.jpeg

The Central Committee on the Price of Goods and Services has decided to freeze the prices of 46 items, including instant noodles, vegetable oil, canned food and five services, until the end of June next year, according to Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit.

Price controls on these goods and services were due to expire at the end of this month.

The minister said today (Thursday) that price controls are necessary in the wake of a rise in the prices of food and numerous consumer products, due to a steady increase in energy prices.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-freezes-prices-of-46-products-for-another-year/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-06-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

"Among such products are corrugated, craft and printing paper, bicycle and car tires, motorcycles and trucks, water pumps, fertiliser, chicken, chicken eggs durian, powdered milk and milk products, wheat flour, pork, canned food, student uniforms, vegetable oil, medicines, cement, steel rods, iron sheets and structural steel, shampoo, sanitary paper, sanitary napkins, detergent, dish washing products, diapers, soap, farm trucks, pesticides, harvest machinery, animal feeds and more."

If these prices are to be frozen for another year, the implication is they are already frozen.

That being the case, how come fertiliser prices, for example, have more than doubled?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The list includes pork and chicken. But those prices have already increased by up to 100% in recent months.

Lotus chicken price is dancing around the 100 baht ....little up or down on it  ????..., but he bulk amount on ice tables is now much smaller as it  seems sales are reduced because this pricing 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, david555 said:

Lotus chicken price is dancing around the 100 baht ....little up or down on it  ????..., but he bulk amount on ice tables is now much smaller as it  seems sales are reduced because this pricing 

I regularly buy this: https://www.makroclick.com/th/products/123147-aro-frozen-chicken-breast-without-skin-2-kg/

Price now 219THB, last year I paid 149THB if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Excel said:

Inflation is a phenomena that everybody is aware of especially with Thai females. Once upon a time the average was 32A,  then they became 34 C but nowadays its anyone's guess ????

Depends on the Hospital, Surgeon and Price!

My GF has double inflation.....But she paid...Not me!

• Haha 1

Price controls should be applied very carefully; the law of unintended consequences will always kick in, even on relatively modest restrictions. I saw what rent control did to the housing stock in the Bay Area in the 80s, and it's still going on.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, blazes said:

I see no reference to wine, a commodity without which one's life is sadly reduced....

I agree.  Cheapest wine I could find today was 375(Australian), I was considering a bottle of Coppola Vineyards(California) red but at 1400 baht a bottle I had settle for the cheaper stuff.  A glass wine with anything makes for a great day.  

• Like 2

The Central Committee on the Price of Goods and Services  - I thought I was reading a piece about communist China.

Why can't any of our rulers understand that prices are determined by supply and demand, not government edict.  Their net zero agenda demonised the oil producers, so supply dried up and guess what.......prices started rising (long before the war in Ukraine, which they're all now desperately trying to blame to deflect attention from their own disastrous policies.).

All "freezing prices" will do is destroy supply and lead to shortages, so they'll eventually have to subsidise the producers to produce more. Economics 101, but still beyond our clueless world leaders.

• Like 2