I'm applying for an eVisa and here is a thing that I find weird...

So I'm in a middle of my visa request and I have noticed something weird.

It seems like you can now apply for a tourism visa and enter the country by land.

I always thought you had to present a flight ticket showing your arrival date and one showing your departure date.

What am I missing here ?

3 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

It seems like you can now apply for a tourism visa and enter the country by land.

I don't know the current laws and regulations.

But the fact that you can click on something in a (online) form doesn't mean much. It might be technically possible but is still not a valid option.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

When applying for a tourist visa in your home country on the e visa site you would have to show a flight to Thailand and one for leaving within 60 days.

That's what I thought too.

But then, why do you have an option like this one ?

1466347093_Screenshot2022-06-18161218.png.f3e9b4a25b3c3d94323788307d12c22e.png

If you choose "international airport", you'll have to fill in your flight's details.

But if you choose "border checkpoint", you'll have to enter the name of the checkpoint.

If an incoming flight is mandatory then this would mean the online visa service is tricking people into making mistakes. Seems unlikely...

I sent an email to my local Thai embassy. Will report their answer here.

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know the current laws and regulations.

But the fact that you can click on something in a (online) form doesn't mean much. It might be technically possible but is still not a valid option.

I feel you but the form is supposed to enable people to get an online visa without hassle. Offering an option that is not an option would defeat the purpose. I'm gonna ask my Thai embassy and will report here later on...

I found that applying for the Tourist visa online was quite a satisfying (if I can use that word) experience..  especially getting the visa approval less than 24 hours later.  It has sort've streamlined the service!

With the Tourist Visa application, they never asked for proof of address here in my home country. They used to always want a copy of my Drivers Licence.

Also, they never asked for proof of confirmed accomodation (in Thailand) which I had to do in the past.

I uploaded a copy of my plane ticket but I don't recall being asked which form of entry i.e. land, sea or air....  just a confirmed ticket.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

I have not seen that optioned mentioned before. I have not needed to used the e visa site.

I guess you could try to use the border check point option to see what they ask for.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

1466347093_Screenshot2022-06-18161218.png.f3e9b4a25b3c3d94323788307d12c22e.png

If you choose "international airport", you'll have to fill in your flight's details.

But if you choose "border checkpoint", you'll have to enter the name of the checkpoint.

If an incoming flight is mandatory then this would mean the online visa service is tricking people into making mistakes. Seems unlikely...

I feel you but the form is supposed to enable people to get an online visa without hassle. Offering an option that is not an option would defeat the purpose. I'm gonna ask my Thai embassy and will report here later on...

Back in the old days it wasn't necessary to have a flight booking before applying for a visa, something that was quite clearly stated on the old guidance notes.

The introduction of the e-visa brought about some changes, originally rolled out in China and then deployed to other countries. The system was very chaotic in the early days, freezing during the process was quite common, a friend of mine ended up having to post his to the embassy and then collect the visa from Hull. The pandemic appears to have taken some of the heat away with a lot less reported problems, my friend is dreading having to use it again later in the year.

It is highly likely going forward there will be updates on an ongoing basis, something that we will have to live with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

Many embassies have required flight bookings into and out of Thailand for a long time. It is not purely an artefact of the eVisa system. ?

I can only go on the embassies I have used, UK and HCMC. HCMC is not on evisa and my most recent ME Non O, 3 months before pandemic.

I go back to the UK every year and have often returned on a new visa, the last time was just before the evisa started, not that long ago.

Will do it again in a few weeks time, some "hands on" with the evisa.

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2022 at 9:23 PM, Baron Samedi said:

So what did the embassy say?

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 8:33 AM, sandyf said:

I can only go on the embassies I have used, UK and HCMC. HCMC is not on evisa and my most recent ME Non O, 3 months before pandemic.

But does HCMC still issue visas to nationals of other countries whose home country is on evisa?

My friend is considering going to HCMC to get a Tourist Visa. Their home country is eligible to apply for evisa, but they would not want to fly back to home country just to get visa in passport.

Could they get an evisa, go to Vietnam and return with that evisa?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, seeriipaap said:

But does HCMC still issue visas to nationals of other countries whose home country is on evisa?

Yes they will. 

8 minutes ago, seeriipaap said:

They are not using the e visa website at the embassy or official consulate in Vietnam.

Info is here on the consulatge website. https://hochiminh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/tourist-visa?page=5d80ab3315e39c2fe800a791&menu=5d80ab3215e39c2fe800a722

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, seeriipaap said:

When I got my ME Non O in HCMC the UK was already on the E-visa platform.

As far as I am aware there are only 2 asian countries on the E-visa platform, China and South Korea.

14 hours ago, seeriipaap said:

You would have to explain that statement, it is anbiguous and contradictory. 

Both Vietnam and Thailand have an online E-visa system and you can only enter either country with an appropriate visa.

• Confused 1

On 6/19/2022 at 4:11 AM, BritTim said:

Many embassies have required flight bookings into and out of Thailand for a long time. It is not purely an artefact of the eVisa system. Requiring evidence of a flight into Thailand has always seemed particularly nonsensical to me. Who spends money paying for a visa with no intention of travelling there? If some nutcase wants to do so, why should the embassy particularly care?

I have just recently applied for a Non O based on marriage at London. One of the pages asks for the arrival date and the flight No but there was no requirement to show them anything regarding the booking

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

You would have to explain that statement, it is anbiguous and contradictory. 

The statement is clear enough to me... Can the poster apply for an e-visa for re-entry to Thailand whilst still in Thailand, then go to Vietnam and come back on the e-visa?

I don't know the answer, unfortunately but would be interested to find out for future reference.

[quote]

you can only enter either country with an appropriate visa.

[/quote]

Not true. Both countries have may have visa exempt options available; depending on the nationality of the traveller.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JayClay said:

The statement is clear enough to me... Can the poster apply for an e-visa for re-entry to Thailand whilst still in Thailand, then go to Vietnam and come back on the e-visa?

I don't know the answer, unfortunately but would be interested to find out for future reference.

[quote]

you can only enter either country with an appropriate visa.

[/quote]

Not true. Both countries have may have visa exempt options available; depending on the nationality of the traveller.

Both countries operate both visa exempt and e-visa so posters should make it quite clear to which they are referring. Brevity is one of the biggest problems on this forum.

As far as I am aware it is only possible to leave and re-enter Thailand on the designated E-visa multi entry types, eg tourist, long term(O-A /O-X).

The Multi-Entry option is not available for some of the Non O types on the E-visa platform, I have marriage and ME wasn't an option.

7 hours ago, JayClay said:

Yes. You can get the visa for Thailand before you leave. Then travel to any country and return to activate it. Vietnam has their own visa requirements of course, depending on passport/nationality.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sandyf said:

I have just recently applied for a Non O based on marriage at London. One of the pages asks for the arrival date and the flight No but there was no requirement to show them anything regarding the booking

I also noticed on my eVisa application form that it isn't specifically mentioned that you have to show a confirmed booking out of Thailand.

Is this flight confirmation out of Thailand only necessary to show to the airline company with whom you're departing to Thailand?

(That also would save me 1 cheap rent ticket.)

7 hours ago, jil said:

I also noticed on my eVisa application form that it isn't specifically mentioned that you have to show a confirmed booking out of Thailand.

Is this flight confirmation out of Thailand only necessary to show to the airline company with whom you're departing to Thailand?

(That also would save me 1 cheap rent ticket.)

If you're travelling with a visa there's no need to have an onward/return ticket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Question.    Some of the supporting documents I have like my Thai Marriage Certificate and BKK Condo Deeds are written it Thai (obviously) but in the guidance webpage located here  it states Documents in foreign languages must be translated into English and the translation must be certified  by the relevant embassy in London am I OK to send documents written in Thai or should I send translations please?