Accupril withdrawn from sale.

adv008

Good morning. 

I have been taking Accupril 5mg twice a day for a few years. This is for heart failure and my condition has not altered in the past 7 years. I order online from a Bangkok pharmacy. When I went to re order I was told this medicine had been withdrawn.  And that is correct it has been withdrawn by Pfizer because of a manufacturing problem. No information is available to say if it will be for sale again. 

My question is can anyone help with other options which I could use. I have used ramipril before in the UK but found it quite expensive here. I get a full test done once a year and my kidney function is fine at the moment. I am trying to find any other brand names I could use and buy online as I live in Chiang rai. Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks.

I was on Ramipril 10mg per day. When I moved to Thailand I sought an alternative because of the price. A doctor advised me that Anapril 20mg is an equivalent medication. I buy it here in Chiang Rai at the Pharmacy on the main road in town just up from the Wiang Inn and directly opposite Greenwing Honda. The cost is 120 Baht for 100 tablets.

Anapril20mg_ยาลดความดัน.jpg

Edited by ImageDude

Enalapril, as  mentioned by poster above, is in same group of medication (ACE inhibitor) and very inexpensive, readily available in many local brands.

In terms of dose equivalence, it is not the same so be careful on that.  Comparable enalapril dose would be 1/2 that of quinapril (accupril etc). So if you were on 10 mg , the equivalent dose of enalapril would be 5 mg etc etc.

Always wise to confirm a switch with your doctor, but if quinapril suited you likely enalapril will do as well.

• Thanks 1