Chronic back pain ....any hope?

I have almost zero experience with any drug proscribed or not.

I sometimes get a lower back pain that just feels like a strip of muscle has lost 80% of its strength and could "go" at any moment. Had this on and off for years. Have found yoga helps.

But a sudden onset again and I wonder if cannabis could help.

anyone had similar experience?

Really don't want to get high or drowsy. If that's the case I will probably soldier on without.

Addictive? 

always fear it might be a "for the rest of my life" thing. So for planning purposes how much a month?

any help really appreciated.

• Like 1

All would depend why having the pain ?  Muscular (only) ?  or sciatic, which you may have pain down your leg, to certain degrees.

Any diagnosis ?  I've had back pain, discomfort for shy of 50 yrs.  Herniated discs as a youngin'.

Surgery at 41 yrs old, to avoid further surgery, retired at 46.  If I behave myself now, no prob.

Not understanding your description (lost 80% of its strength and could "go" at any moment).

Could simply be a disc problem, that you are aggravating, and why it's on & off.  Which would actually be a good thing, as very manageable.  Since it's presently 'on & off'

Doubt if ganga would help, with any true back issue, though just relax you, and temp fix, no more or less than a couple Long Island Ice Teas, or 1 if made properly.

Need a diagnosis, if not already had one.  If disc problem, then NSAIDs & muscle relaxers to ease up the discomfort and allow for some mobility.  Stretching & exercise plan when able to, strengthen the muscles supporting the back.  NO full sit up, stomach crunches work fine.  Anyone suggests full sit up, go elsewhere.

Chime back in after a diagnosis.

• Like 1

I've been in a similar situation to you @Grecian over the years, including, at one time having to crawl to the bathroom to use the loo. Like you I eschew all types of medication, herbal or modern synthetic. I prefer to use exercise and have also practiced yoga.

But I've now found a better way. Start by watching the 97 sec video here.

If that catches your interest move on to this website on pain It's by the same guy. I've been practicing Qigong for 10 years now and I  keep fit, healthy and pain free and I never need to visit a doctor.

And guess what. You can learn the basics of this method for around 7 GBP if you buy his new book. Let me know what you think.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I've been in a similar situation to you @Grecian over the years, including, at one time having to crawl to the bathroom to use the loo. Like you I eschew all types of medication, herbal or modern synthetic. I prefer to use exercise and have also practiced yoga.

But I've now found a better way. Start by watching the 97 sec video here.

If that catches your interest move on to this website on pain It's by the same guy. I've been practicing Qigong for 10 years now and I  keep fit, healthy and pain free and I never need to visit a doctor.

And guess what. You can learn the basics of this method for around 7 GBP if you buy his new book. Let me know what you think.

Thanks so much for your excellent reply. 

Could you teach yourself from the book alone?

I am very open to this idea. 

11 hours ago, Grecian said:

Thanks so much for your excellent reply. 

Could you teach yourself from the book alone?

I am very open to this idea. 

Before I say anymore, a confession. I borrowed this from a book review on Amazon.

'What's great about it is that it gives you an excellent foundation practice that you can then continue to expand with other qigong forms you learn elsewhere. The author has a massive amount of knowledge and experience and, through this book, teaches you what you really need to know and tells you what isn't actually necessary that you may learn elsewhere'.

There are 3 key skills to learning this branch of Qigong, all of which are taught in the book and the accompanying videos, plus a few physical exercises. As the reviewer above says, 'you can then continue to expand with other qigong forms'.

So yes, you can learn from the book and the videos and then follow up on line as you feel fit. There is a massive amount of information in the Flowing Zen web site alone.

An indication of how good this book is, is that despite having practiced Qigong myself for 10 years, I've read it 3 times already and I still keep learning from it.

I'd suggest you go visit Amazon and read some of the book reviews there.

Take care. Have a nice (enlightening) day. ????

It can do. I wouldn't necessarily believe all the hype but it can help. I have had lower back and neck issues  for a while, worn discs basically. Those problems do seem to go away when I take marijuana. I prefer edibles to smoking. You could try the different CBD oils and drinks etc or the THC oils that are 0.2 THC that stuff won't get you high. It's worth a try If it works for you good if not you haven't really lost anything. Just so you know the official medical use is a daily dosage kind of thing it doesn't mean you're high 24/7.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...
On 6/21/2022 at 3:54 PM, Chris.B said:

Try Cannabis water from Lotus. Comes in different flavours. You need to drink the bottle for it to be effective.

it is not effective for much it's far too dilute -  I did notice it is a diuretic though.

On 6/21/2022 at 5:02 PM, Grecian said:

But a sudden onset again and I wonder if cannabis could help.

For me, cannabis does nothing for muscle pain.

It's really good for joint pain though.

Poop ...... some idiot revived an old thread!

Edited by BritManToo

On 6/21/2022 at 5:02 PM, Grecian said:

any help really appreciated.

please message me. i make a cream that i would like you to try free of charge. works wonders for a lot of people. maybe it can help you. 

It never ceases to amaze me, people posting on ASEAN seeking uninformed opinions on a medical condition. Get a diagnosis from a qualified medical practitioner.

IME the first step in resolving a problem is understanding what the problem is, options for solutions come later.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had terrible back pain in my 30s and tried everything including several different chiropractors, but nothing worked. The only thing that really worked for me was doing hyperextensions on a weight bench that I designed for myself specifically for that purpose, which seemed to strengthen the back muscle.  Over the years I have also developed a yoga routine that really works the back and I am sure that helps too. Back pain totally sucks. I wish you the best. 

• Like 1