Highways Dept. set to spend nearly 30 M baht near PKK "U-Turn of Death"

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

A U-turn in Muang district of Prachuap Khiri Khan on the way to southern Thailand has been dubbed "The U-Turn of Death".

Road safety expert at the highways department Suphot Sermsap has been working on ways to improve the Ban Bung area where there are 15-16 accidents annually causing lots of death and injury.

Two children were thrown out of a pick-up and killed at the U-turn in February last year.

Now there are nearly 30 million baht plans for a new one 400 meters from the old one.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

The problem with the old one is that it is by an intersection and what with being on a fast, straight stretch accidents occur frequently.

Just sealing it off is not an option as the area is densely populated and people need a uey. 

Meetings have taken place with traffic police and other authorities as Suphot's plan for improvements take shape.

An artist's impression of the new plan was published by Siam Rath

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

In the UK there exist roundabouts on high speed highways. The only reason they still have so many U-turns as default is one of cost. Cost would include condescending to actually design the bllody things correctly using over 100 tears of experience in other countries. And to educate as to how to use them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sungod said:

Unfortunately when they make it one way, there is always some moron who insists on coming the wrong way saving a few metres, cant fix stupid.

...that and cars, even lorries, doubling up by jumping to the front of the queue.....frightening.

• Like 1

Or just put in traffic lights, ooh wait traffic lights and speeding lorries.

Just yesterday coming back from the City, waiting at the traffic light, light for us turned to green, and it was already 2-3 seconds green for us and when looking left I saw a truck at full speed went through the red lights without a hint of slowing down. Fortunately the Motor Bike drivers that were in front of us saw it also, else they would have been another SAD statistic of how unsafe Thai Roads are.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Sorry but it is never a good plan to have traffic allowed to drive perpendicularly across an open highway in front of oncoming traffice no matter what the exit route.

Yes I agree, but in Thailand that is they way they do it. Law of the Land as they call it!

I have never seen a U-turn (that I can recall) on Europe roads.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I wonder how long it will be before the market stalls occupy that bit of empty road.

Spot on as it will be not used for completing the u-turn anyway :whistling:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

All U-Turns in Thailand are "U-Turns Of Death."

There's another one at the University in Ubon. I was thinking it was that one until  I opened the story

Edited by findlay13

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The problem with the old one is that it is by an intersection and what with being on a fast, straight stretch accidents occur frequently.

How about putting down a few speed bumps for 100,000 baht instead of spending 30 million. Well, we know why. don't we...........

8 hours ago, MJCM said:

Yes I agree, but in Thailand that is they way they do it. Law of the Land as they call it!

I have never seen a U-turn (that I can recall) on Europe roads.

The U turn is a complete waste of money. On the route 1/32 north of Ayutthaya the U turns have been blocked of and overpasses have replaced them. All of them are well signposted and 2 lanes wide and so much safer.

The only drawback is that pedestrians still walk/run across 2 frontage lanes, 4 lanes of highspeed traffic just to get to the middle of the road. They then do the same on the other side of the road.

Just to avoid walking 100 metres to a pedestrian bridge and cross safely. The bridge even has a roof to keep the rain off.

The traffic on the main highway is travelling between 100 to 150 kph.

• Sad 1

There is already one of these u turns on the South side of Pak Tho , but as somebody posted , ladened trucks from a stand still take a while to get across , considering the speed cars are going on the Dual Carriageway. And as we know , trucks are not shy on pulling out.image.thumb.png.46de19a8755d1ea302fe7dbd9e727b9f.png

Edited by NE1