6 Hours To Kill Between Airports

meme

I have not yet been to survarnabhumi airport.

I arrive and then have 6 hours to kill before departing from DM to fly down south.

I will have a lot of luggage with me as I am moving.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do in Survarnbhumi or DM(is everything still open there?)

I was thinking about getting a massage but assume that the price would be pretty expensive.

Also I need to buy a Sim card, I have a phone but my Sim is expired.

Also a map of survarnabhumi would be nice.

Thanks.

I would think that six hours barely gives you time to land, get your baggage, get to the other airport, check in, etc. It's like my educated but untravelled son asked me last month, "We have four hours to spend in the Newark airport; is there plenty of time to sight see in New York City?"

Meme..curious.....will they transfer your luggage for you? what airline are you flying domestic leg? not same as int'l is it? thats a big bummer if u have lots of luggage then.

Pblondie might be right....takes atleast an hour to taxi between one airport to the other.....not sure how much ahead they let you check in on domestic flights though...perhaps you should find out...for int'l i know its 5 hrs ahead....if u get to DM early but cant check your bags in yet then thats even more annoying!

things to do -- apart from the massage I cant think of anything else INSIDE the airport.

good luck...welcome back to thailand...and all the best for the wedding :o

Meme..curious.....will they transfer your luggage for you? what airline are you flying domestic leg? not same as int'l is it? thats a big bummer if u have lots of luggage then.

Pblondie might be right....takes atleast an hour to taxi between one airport to the other.....not sure how much ahead they let you check in on domestic flights though...perhaps you should find out...for int'l i know its 5 hrs ahead....if u get to DM early but cant check your bags in yet then thats even more annoying!

things to do -- apart from the massage I cant think of anything else INSIDE the airport.

good luck...welcome back to thailand...and all the best for the wedding :o

Thanks MiG!! :D

I am coming from Korea on Thai air and then taking a Nok air flight to Trang.

Doubt they will transfer my luggage. Yeah I ususally check in an hour before my flights for nok air. I know in Trang they do not open the counter until an hour before the flight. I have factored in distance from one airport to the other. But have no idea how long it will take me to clear immigration, get my bags and sort myself out as I have never been to survarnabhumi. Was not thinking I would have time to leave the airports.But think I will definitely have some extra time to kill but perhaps I can just soak it all up as I am so happy to be back!!

We also have a 7 hour transit between arrival 0620 ex LHR -1320 dep CEI

Which restaurants would you recommend ?

How much does the massage cost ?

Is there anything that would interest children aged 8 & 11 ?

:o

If I were you I'd cut a deal with your taxi driver for the day, and just leave your non valuable luggage in the taxi. Make sure to write down his details and not pay him until the end except for tolls. You could then run around town as you pleased as you have plenty of time to enjoy anything you want. on your details, you could be in Silom or Sukh by 8AM or so.

We also have a 7 hour transit between arrival 0620 ex LHR -1320 dep CEI

Which restaurants would you recommend ?

How much does the massage cost ?

Is there anything that would interest children aged 8 & 11 ?

:o

If I were you I'd cut a deal with your taxi driver for the day, and just leave your non valuable luggage in the taxi. Make sure to write down his details and not pay him until the end except for tolls. You could then run around town as you pleased as you have plenty of time to enjoy anything you want. on your details, you could be in Silom or Sukh by 8AM or so.

Dear Chinthee,

Thank you

However,as we are "transiting" ,it is easy to leave this (safe) area & get back in?

Ideally,we would like to clear customs and Immigration in CEI .

Also ,I doubt if the girls will have got much sleep & they may prefer to stay in the airport ,this time.

:D Wiley

I may be mistaken, but since Thai owns Nok Air they may interline your luggage for you. That would remove a big headache. If so, you might end up with three hours or so to spare. One thing you could do in that case is grab a cab to the Future Park in Rangsit, which is a huge mall only about 10 or 15 minutes from Don Muang airport. Great people watching, lots of cafés and restaurants and interesting stores. Also air conditioned.

Go immediately to Don Muang from the new airport. At that time, see how much time you have. Traffic can be bad out there, even if you go to Future Park. If you go to Future Park, leave with plenty of time to spare.

I may be mistaken, but since Thai owns Nok Air they may interline your luggage for you. That would remove a big headache. If so, you might end up with three hours or so to spare. One thing you could do in that case is grab a cab to the Future Park in Rangsit, which is a huge mall only about 10 or 15 minutes from Don Muang airport. Great people watching, lots of cafés and restaurants and interesting stores. Also air conditioned.

There is no way the luggage will be interlined. First, the OP is coming in on an international flight, then departing on a domestic flight for which there is no international arrivals at the final destination. Even if both flights were on THAI, and out of the same airport, they still wouldn't allow the luggage to be checked through because you MUST clear customs at BKK. Secondly, the connection is between two separate airports, so I doubt even THAI will allow luggage to be checked through on domestic-to-domestic flights than span two separate airports. They aren't setup to be hauling luggage between two airports.

If I were you, I would definitely get to the airport I was departing from immediately. We don't live far from Suvanboom but in the days when DM was the only option we have missed flights even though we have left 3 hours to get to and check into the airport. Traffic is unpredictable to put it mildly. Don't take the risk of missing your onward flight. As far as what to do once you are at DM, Laksi isn't too far away nor as someone else pointed out is Future Park. However, call me cautious, I would stay in the airport and read a book.

As far as things for kids to do? All I can do is laugh I am afraid. take plenty of books and toys and games, it is a child entertainment free zone. But, it is an airport not a play area - although one would be nice

If I were you, I would definitely get to the airport I was departing from immediately. We don't live far from Suvanboom but in the days when DM was the only option we have missed flights even though we have left 3 hours to get to and check into the airport. Traffic is unpredictable to put it mildly. Don't take the risk of missing your onward flight. As far as what to do once you are at DM, Laksi isn't too far away nor as someone else pointed out is Future Park. However, call me cautious, I would stay in the airport and read a book.

As far as things for kids to do? All I can do is laugh I am afraid. take plenty of books and toys and games, it is a child entertainment free zone. But, it is an airport not a play area - although one would be nice

Thank You.

I agree,we will stay put.

Our flights are TG ex-Heathrow into Suvarnabhumi + TG ex Suvaranabhumi into Chiang Rai (only 1 domestic per day)

I thought that we could CIQ/Transit and clear Immigration/Customs in Chiang Rai as per the Thai Web Site ?

Can anyone confirm ?

http://www.thaiair.com/Travel_Destination_...flighttrans.htm

:o Wiley

Yes, it should be no problem to do a CIQ transit at Suvarnabhumi and clear immigration/customs in Chiang Rai. Just make sure you let them know that at Heathrow when you check-in so that your luggage goes all the way to Chiang Rai. If you don't tell them, or they mistakenly send your luggage just to BKK then you'll have to clear immigrations/customs in BKK.

[

Thank You.

I agree,we will stay put.

Our flights are TG ex-Heathrow into Suvarnabhumi + TG ex Suvaranabhumi into Chiang Rai (only 1 domestic per day)

I thought that we could CIQ/Transit and clear Immigration/Customs in Chiang Rai as per the Thai Web Site ?

Can anyone confirm ?

http://www.thaiair.com/Travel_Destination_...flighttrans.htm

You can certainly do this in Chiangmai. I think Chiang Rai is also classed as an international airport so it should be OK.

Yes, it should be no problem to do a CIQ transit at Suvarnabhumi and clear immigration/customs in Chiang Rai. Just make sure you let them know that at Heathrow when you check-in so that your luggage goes all the way to Chiang Rai. If you don't tell them, or they mistakenly send your luggage just to BKK then you'll have to clear immigrations/customs in BKK.

Many Thanks Soju+ Boksida.

I will relax with the kids & get a book,a green tea and smile!

Rgds

Edited by wileycoyote

Actually, killing time between flights, and between airports is something I'm a bit of an expert at. First, I would recommend heading over to DM Airport right away... there is a bus service airport to airport, not sure how often it goes.

Here are a few possibilities:

1. if you're wealthy, take the skybridge at DM over to the Amari Airport hotel, which has a low day rate, 8 hours max... sometimes if you show a Thai airways ticket, it's even cheaper. It's not that bad, and is real convenient. If you don't want to pay for the room, they may have a rate just to use the pool and fitness area.

2. there are many hookers that operate in/around the airports. they can get low rates at sleezy hotels in the area that sell rooms by the hour.

3. instead of taking the NOK air flight to Trang, you could probably get a bus going there before your flight arrives.

4. There is a shopping area, Central something, almost adjacent to the Sofitel Central Hotel, maybe 15 minutes or less from the airport... quite big... perhaps you could store your luggage there for a few hours, then get a taxi or shuttle to the airport.

5. near the DM airport is the Asia Airport Hotel, not too bad... adjacent to it is a pretty big IT/computer type mall with really cheap prices... there is also a McDonald's adjacent. In the old days, airline crews from cheap airlines used to stay there. I'm sure it's gone downhill since I stayed there, but was a decent deal... I believe they had free airport transfers... check their website. Maybe they have a day rate too... it's about 5 minutes from DM airport.

6. You could skip Trat altogether... I here it's filled with mosquitos... watch out for Dengue Fever, especially during the rainy season in that area. Instead, go to Pattaya, where you can do it all: beaches, hookers, shopping, pools, IT/computer centers, etc.

Meme....yes someone mentioned thai may transfer your bags to Nok for you...check with them...best deal would be ask them to check the bags straight through to Trang for you. if they insist that they cant, then ask them to provide you with the shuttle. (i know they had these running, but no idea how frequent and at what hours)

anyhow once u get to DM and have some time to spare u can perhaps go to Jae Leng Market which is about 5-10mins from the airport....its a huge shop of cosmetics/toileteries and supermarket type place with imported products from places like japan, hong kong etc....but u just returning from korea...am not sure if this will be of any interest...but atleast its different to whats inside the airport...and is near enough for u to get to and from and will not risk missing your flight :D

all this provided u can manage to check in all your luggage a few hours before...perhaps thats something else to push the THAI people to organise with NOK for u....just to be on safe side :o

even if we think its not standard practice...its worth to ask them....sometime they do make an effort to accommodate requests :D

good luck...and congrats :D

Meme....yes someone mentioned thai may transfer your bags to Nok for you...check with them...best deal would be ask them to check the bags straight through to Trang for you. if they insist that they cant, then ask them to provide you with the shuttle. (i know they had these running, but no idea how frequent and at what hours)

anyhow once u get to DM and have some time to spare u can perhaps go to Jae Leng Market which is about 5-10mins from the airport....its a huge shop of cosmetics/toileteries and supermarket type place with imported products from places like japan, hong kong etc....but u just returning from korea...am not sure if this will be of any interest...but atleast its different to whats inside the airport...and is near enough for u to get to and from and will not risk missing your flight :D

all this provided u can manage to check in all your luggage a few hours before...perhaps thats something else to push the THAI people to organise with NOK for u....just to be on safe side :o

even if we think its not standard practice...its worth to ask them....sometime they do make an effort to accommodate requests :D

good luck...and congrats :D

You are right, I should ask..just in case, but I feel like in Korea they will have no idea. But maybe I can ask someone once I arrive.

Thanks again MiG!! So excited to be moving back! Counting the days!! 9 more to go!!! :D

Actually, killing time between flights, and between airports is something I'm a bit of an expert at. First, I would recommend heading over to DM Airport right away... there is a bus service airport to airport, not sure how often it goes.

Here are a few possibilities:

1. if you're wealthy, take the skybridge at DM over to the Amari Airport hotel, which has a low day rate, 8 hours max... sometimes if you show a Thai airways ticket, it's even cheaper. It's not that bad, and is real convenient. If you don't want to pay for the room, they may have a rate just to use the pool and fitness area.

2. there are many hookers that operate in/around the airports. they can get low rates at sleezy hotels in the area that sell rooms by the hour.

3. instead of taking the NOK air flight to Trang, you could probably get a bus going there before your flight arrives.

Trang is a good 10 hours by bus and my boyfriend doesn't like me taking the bus as he says it's to dangerous with all the yaba the drives do to take stay awake. Plus I just want to get there as soon as possible.

4. There is a shopping area, Central something, almost adjacent to the Sofitel Central Hotel, maybe 15 minutes or less from the airport... quite big... perhaps you could store your luggage there for a few hours, then get a taxi or shuttle to the airport.

5. near the DM airport is the Asia Airport Hotel, not too bad... adjacent to it is a pretty big IT/computer type mall with really cheap prices... there is also a McDonald's adjacent. In the old days, airline crews from cheap airlines used to stay there. I'm sure it's gone downhill since I stayed there, but was a decent deal... I believe they had free airport transfers... check their website. Maybe they have a day rate too... it's about 5 minutes from DM airport.

6. You could skip Trat altogether... I here it's filled with mosquitos... watch out for Dengue Fever, especially during the rainy season in that area. Instead, go to Pattaya, where you can do it all: beaches, hookers, shopping, pools, IT/computer centers, etc.

Can't really skip Trang (which is what I think you mean when you say Trat) as it is my home now and as a female about to get married I am not really looking for any hookers...But thank you for the advice :o

As near as I can find out, Nok Air doesn't do any interlining of baggage, so scratch my earlier suggestion.

As for Trang, it's a really interesting place. The city is an old Hokkien Chinese mercantile town and there are a lot of old shop houses with covered arcades. They have this big coffee culture there, and I had some of the best breakfast dim sum I've ever had (cheap too) at a popular place a bit out of the centre of town. I found it to be a friendly laid back kind of town. Not many tourists, except those passing through on the way to the islands, so it's cheap and friendly for those farang who do stay for a while.

As near as I can find out, Nok Air doesn't do any interlining of baggage, so scratch my earlier suggestion.

As for Trang, it's a really interesting place. The city is an old Hokkien Chinese mercantile town and there are a lot of old shop houses with covered arcades. They have this big coffee culture there, and I had some of the best breakfast dim sum I've ever had (cheap too) at a popular place a bit out of the centre of town. I found it to be a friendly laid back kind of town. Not many tourists, except those passing through on the way to the islands, so it's cheap and friendly for those farang who do stay for a while.

Yes Trang is a great place, it's my home now and I love it!