Linux / Windows Virus

Richard-BKK

One dream is gone I was thinking I cannot get infected by a MS Windows virus running Linux, but when you have Wine or Crossover Office Linux installed it can happen. Still the problem is hardly a problem, as Fedora 7 SELINUX doesn't allow unauthorized executable file changes , so all it take was a reboot, and some removing some scripts.

Anyway I started to look around for my first Antivirus software for Linux, and I found Avast! (http://www.avast.com/) it looks for Linux and Windows viruses and is free for the first year (second year the user has to re-register)

It makes me feel a bit more secure that I can check for viruses on my Linux computers, as they also contain lots of MS Windows files and programs

I did some tests a while ago, running win32 virus on Debian with Wine. Most of them couldn't even write to Wine's registry and were desperately trying to send emails, without any luck. The only noticable problem was they can slightly slow down your system because as they can't do anything they are stuck in endless loops that may consume a bit of CPU and RAM.

I found the OP and replies interesting. It seems that the best solution is to avoid Windows altogether. I'm doing my part to save humanity.

I should add that I live not too far from where the Redmond Virus is created.

Edited by Gumballl