UK: NO MORE HANGOVERS Hangover-busting pill leaves boozers ‘feeling fresh’ the next day

blackcab

A HANGOVER-busting pill leaves drinkers “feeling fresh” next day. It works by reducing alcohol absorbed by the body — but because some gets through, drinkers still enjoy a buzz.

Myrkl tablets cost £30 for 30 pills and are taken two at a time, an hour before drinking.

The journal Nutrition and Metabolic Insights reported that, in tests, subjects had 70 per cent less alcohol in their blood an hour after two vodkas — which may have helped the boozers in hit 2009 comedy The Hangover.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/19079983/hangover-pill-nhs-gp/

sunmasthead_mobile.png

Just what the world needs, an aid to allow people to drink more or too excess. 

Not that I believe it will work, but the problem with alcohol is the long term damage abuse it causes to the body and the behaviours of inebriated people, not a thick head the next day. 

While growing up in the Midwest (USA) during the 60s & 70s I went to school with two brothers who lived on the rural outskirts of our small town. Their father was the pharmacist at the only pharmacy in town.

One evening while playing foosball and pool at the local gameroom the brothers invited the entire group to their house as they had an empty house (mom and dad were gone for the weekend), a foosball table, and dad's liquor stash. (We were around 16-19 years old.)

Needless to say their house was not what I had expected. It sat down a long dark lane where the nearest house was a half mile or so away. Inside the place wasn't dirty but it was messy. That is, looking around there was mail tossed about everywhere. In the kitchen and bathroom there was medication everywhere. Bottles upon bottles of what seemed to be prescription drugs. I mean it looked more like the local pharmacy then someone's house. 

While others were watching and playing foosball a few of us started nosing through the mail scattered everywhere. There were letters from all around the world thanking him dearly for sending them medication. At the time I had no idea what medication was being referenced however a few years later I heard the father was sent to prison for sending folks latriel.

<Finally, on topic> While there that night one of the brothers offered us all some rather large tablets and said to take one after heaving drinking and before bedtime. He said that they would eliminate a hangover. As far as I  remember none of us accepted the offer, especially after seeing medication everywhere.

28 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Just what the world needs, an aid to allow people to drink more or too excess. 

Not that I believe it will work, but the problem with alcohol is the long term damage abuse it causes to the body and the behaviours of inebriated people as well as the people associated with the drunk, not a thick head the next day. 

I hope you don't mind that I amended your last sentence.

47 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Not that I believe it will work, but the problem with alcohol is the long term damage abuse it causes to the body 

This drug appears to almost solve that. It converts the alcohol before it is converted into acetic acid by the liver, avoiding most of the damage to the body. 

Of course, this won't prevent drunks from being complete pratts. 

4 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

This drug appears to almost solve that. It converts the alcohol before it is converted into acetic acid by the liver, avoiding most of the damage to the body. 

Hmm…we’ll see.

I’m no longer indulging these days so guess I’ll never see how  or if it works. 

1 hour ago, Gaccha said:

The metabolic product of ethanol that causes most of the damage within the body is actually acetaldehyde rather than acetic acid.

That aside, this 'drug' is actually a preparation of bacteria which the  subjects took for an entire week before drinking.   This introduces a population of bacteria into the gut that can metabolise some of the alcohol into carbon dioxide and water before it is absorbed into the body.

However the subjects in the study were only given 0.3 g alcohol per kg body weight, which is a tiny amount, equivalent to a 75kg man drinking a single pint of lager. Blood alcohol concentrations were therefore tiny even to start with, and dropped about 50-70%  in those pre-treated for one week with the bacteria.

To me this looks unlikely to have any effect on a major binge drinking session. If these bacteria can only metabolise about half the alcohol in a pint of beer they are unlikely to have any significant effect at all on someone who drinks enough to get a hangover. In effect they convert drinking say six pints of beer into drinking five and a half pints.  This could be three pints if the bacteria are able to sustain the same rate of conversion however fast you drink -but this does not appear to have been demonstrated in the publication.

Further studies necessary I think...

Ref to paper: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35769391/

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

I have no idea why anyone would pay money for a pill so they can spend more money on alcohol and not get drunk.  it seems like it might just be a good idea to pace yourself or drink less.   

• Like 1