Average Life Span Of Thai People

JimmyTheMook

I read in an article somewhere , and the outcome was that in average is 10 year less then in the West .

Probably healthcare , also the men like to drink in very large amounts , I guess that is not very life stretching .But anyway here in our village or many many elderly folks ,maybe cause it is the countryside, the air is much better then in the city . I don't know why I do not see so many elderly in the city . They are there , the heat comes to mind , do not want to go out to many I guess ,can you blame them .......

"The average life expectancy at birth is 70 years (66.3 years for men and 73.8 years for women) (2003 figures) which is good for the region. Infant mortality rates have improved dramatically over the past 30 years, from 74 deaths per 1,000 live births in 1970, to 23 in 2003".

From http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagena...d=1019041600639

The wifes grandmother is 104 years old, still walking around (with a cane) chewing her beetlenut.

Who's bettlenut, her's or her husbands :o

Sorry couldn't resist.

BTW my Thai in laws, the Grandmother is 90 something and still kicking strong.

There's a great grandma in Lipa Noi, Samui, who is about 100. She stays in her old wooden hut; refuses to move into the modern family house. But all the fam visit her daily, and bring her food. The lady does her own cleaning. Real independent that one. Would have loved to hear her stories.

They are long lived down here in Ranong. I know quite a few who are well into their 80's. My wife's brother in law's mother is almost 90. She is always walking between the family houses between our Mu Ban and the next one. She must walk 15 mile a day. :o

Edited by Mosha

Life expectancy for farang men is much higher than for Thai men. Farang men often stuff their sickly bloated bodies with modern medications for diabetes, heart disease, etc. well into their eighties. Fortunately or unfortunately, men in Thailand are catching up with the farang with each passing year.

I've seen a few old people in BKK, sometimes it is hard to judge though due to the black hair dye. It really stops you in your tracks when you seen someone with grey/white hair.

My friends boyfriends grandma is still alive and kicking, he has a fabulous photograph of her up to her neck in a hole she dug. When he asked why, he was told she had got bored and decided to dig a hole. She is in her mid 90's but noone knows for sure.

Wifes grandmother is 94~ and still partly walks (albeight with support lately).

The average age-table there is kinda disconcerning, seems like on average I should outline my wife with 5 years...was counting on the other way around. :o

Gimme a "G", gimme an "O", gimme another "O, gimme another "G", gimme an "L".........

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/healthcare(2).asp

Good chart.

I do not see that many eldery folks in Thailand, reason I was asking.

The ratio of elderly to young has little to do with life expectancy and more to do with birthrate. In the west the birth rate is low and populations are dwindling the result is an aging population - this of course is coming to crisis point with the baby-boomers as there are more and more people not working and the amount of young people to pay taxes to support them is getting less and less.

Gimme a "G", gimme an "O", gimme another "O, gimme another "G", gimme an "L".........

Good chart.

The ratio of elderly to young has little to do with life expectancy and more to do with birthrate. In the west the birth rate is low and populations are dwindling the result is an aging population - this of course is coming to crisis point with the baby-boomers as there are more and more people not working and the amount of young people to pay taxes to support them is getting less and less.

Ages in Thailand of the elderly are not always reliable as many weren't registered at birth, some even registered on a more auspicious day or date and few celebrated birthdays.

As I said before most developing countries have a high percentage of young people because factors like of a huge drop in infant mortality rate.

When you talk of life expectancy, I presume you mean the mortality rate. If you ask a Thai person how long they would "expect" to live they would say about the same as you. Many old cultures people can live longer than in modern developed cultures but unfortunately lack of simple health care (antibiotics, emergency surgery etc.) means that a lot of people die of things we in the west regard as curable or low risk, this brings about a lowering of the average mortality rate but does not impact on how old you could become if you manage to avoid these pitfalls. In theory with a better diet and healthier lifestyle there may be many people in Thailand and surrounding countries well into their nineties or even 100s.

The average age-table there is kinda disconcerning, seems like on average I should outline my wife with 5 years...was counting on the other way around. :o

Nah ... if you are in Thailand she'll outlive you!

Good chart.

The only elderly in Thailand are farangs on retirement visas. All the Thais have been laid to rest.

Are you guys kidding? I see elderly people everywhere but indoors! They are not likely to go walking the streets late at night like farang.

They travel by cars and not public transport but then again I do see alot of older guys missing buses as they are not quite fast enough to get on.

My ex's Mother past away only weeks ago & she was 88 I think. But then again she lived in Phetchburi where the air is a bit cleaner.

AFAIK the major reason for the gap between men and women is the death rate from motorcycle accidents in their 20s; which also causes a gender dsitribution imbalance to swing from more men than women under 20 to more women than men over about 30.

Take these out, take out the deaths from a few major diseases and I think you'll find not too huge a gap between the west and Thailand if at all.

Meaning...if you can avoid a few key diseases and don't ride a bike, and are Thai, then you can probably expect a life as long as and quite likely longer than the farangs, particularly the ones eating bad western food.

AFAIK the major reason for the gap between men and women is the death rate from motorcycle accidents in their 20s; which also causes a gender dsitribution imbalance to swing from more men than women under 20 to more women than men over about 30.

Take these out, take out the deaths from a few major diseases and I think you'll find not too huge a gap between the west and Thailand if at all.

Meaning...if you can avoid a few key diseases and don't ride a bike, and are Thai, then you can probably expect a life as long as and quite likely longer than the farangs, particularly the ones eating bad western food.

Yes, I think this is the best analysis. As an aside, I went to a funeral upcountry to Ang Thong last year and met a lady who I was told was over 110, but nobody knew exactly how old. She was frozen in a "frog-like" position as her legs had quit working years ago. Brain as sharp as a tack.

Nah ... if you are in Thailand she'll outlive you!

Zing! :D

You can't count on anything being how you'd like it TAWP.

I divorced one and outlived two before I reached sixty.

Like the 90 year old man asking his doctor if it was wise to marry a 20 year old woman and being told by the doc it could well prove fatal.

The old man replies "If she dies, she dies, that's life, innit".

Edited by qwertz