"Happy" 4th of July! Americans -- how are you feeling about the home country on this Independence Day?

A country in the throes of an epidemic.  The mass idiocy epidemic.  Gives me the creeps whenever I see one of these.

School Official Removes American Flags from Student's Truck

Big truck.  Big flag.  Small brain.  Oh, and probably a gun somewhere.  For those of you who have been out of the country for years, there's a lot of these on the road. The word patriot has been redefined.

And then there are the sh_t heels in gov't and media who are provoking all this. 

And you'll want a nice decal for the tailgate

Pin on Neat stuff

But chin up, a lot of people who have friends/relatives caught up in this are saying they are sick and tired of "this politics stuff."  Sometimes it's as easy as changing the channel on television or keeping off of social media.  Maybe there will be de-programming groups for them, like there were for the Moonies some years ago.

Keep the faith.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wannascuba said:

Happy 4th of July to All. No political comments necessary. Just celebrate with your Family, Friends and Loved ones. Appreciate the little things and what we have to be blessed for!

Cheers,

^^^This^^^ ????

I used to have a tradition (in jest, of course) that every 4th I'd have to say something good about the US and something bad about the UK.

With BoJo and MMarkel I figure you guys across the pond deserve a break.

A good thing about the US: Charmin Ultra-Soft toilet paper available in nearly every supermarket.

47 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Although I'm not a bona fide American, maybe I should not comment? Happy fourth of July.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/shooting-reported-4th-july-parade-chicago-suburb-highland/story?id=86186529

Well my feeling is that the 4th of July can be a time for Americans to reflect about how they feel about being American in the current time in history and only Americans can do that. Refer to the video.

I have a personal family connection to Highland Park IL a very American midwestern small town suburb and yes it was apt to post that as it happened at their 4th of July parade and I doubt many people are particularly surprised.

Edited by Jingthing

Years back I worked for a British-owned company in the U.S.  Occasionally a Brit would come to work on a short-term project.  One such guy was happy to have the 4th of July off.  He called it "Good Riddance Day".  Still brings a smile to my face.

I do get a bit upset the way things have been going in the last 15 years or so.  After 3 1/2 years in Thailand, I came back to the US.  That was 42 years ago.  I thought people here were a little batty after living in Thailand, but got along fine for about 25 years.

George McGovern's nomination acceptance speech:

“It is the time for this land to become again a witness to the world for what is just and noble in human affairs. It is time to live more with faith and less with fear, with an abiding confidence that can sweep away the strongest barriers between us and teach us that we are truly brothers and sisters.”

I don't see that is going to happen!

Referring to the video things keep getting stupider and stupider.

A sign of the times.

I think the original message was apt to these times but of course they were forced to walk it back.

Florida city apologizes for saying 'a lot of people probably don't want to celebrate our nation right now' (nbcnews.com)

Florida city apologizes for saying 'a lot of people probably don't want to celebrate our nation'

The city of Orlando said it "regrets the negative impact" of a statement that questioned if July Fourth celebrations were appropriate "when there is so much division, hate and unrest."

They are very different holidays.

I noticed some of the pushback (honor the military) to the Orlando letter seemed to imply that the 4th of July is more or less the same thing as Memorial Day. 

The 4th of July isn't even about victory against the British.

At the time of the Declaration of Independence that victory was a long shot. 

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jimgilly said:

From "land of the free, home of the brave" to "land of the not-so-free, home of the sheeple". 

The country has self-destructed and past the point of no return.  If it survives 3 more years I'll be surprised.

It will survive but it will be very different than what we were taught was the ideal in civics class (if you had civics class).