Local English Radio

N47HAN

• 3 weeks later...

There did actually use to be one,,, all be it very low key. 96fm in Phuket town,, unfortunately we got shut down, mainly due to bad sponsorship dealings. The building and everything is in place still,, all it needs is some inigination to get it up and running again.

Oh, and some music, and a D.J, :o

There did actually use to be one,,, all be it very low key. 96fm in Phuket town,, unfortunately we got shut down, mainly due to bad sponsorship dealings. The building and everything is in place still,, all it needs is some inigination to get it up and running again.

Choppy, you say "we" got shut down, where you involved in it ?

Starting tomorrow Tuesday 10 July, Radio Thailand FM90.5 will now repeat at 6pm and no longer live at 8.30am, the audio track of Andaman News TV program from TV Channel 11 VHF dial, both broadcast to Phuket, Phang Nga and Krabi, and later the video version maybe repeated on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 (& its asociated affliates) at 3.30, 7.30, & 11.00pm, + 01.30am.

There may be new radio programs & service soon in English on FM90.5.

Choppy, you say "we" got shut down, where you involved in it ?

Yes I was for a while, helping out a Thai friend.

At the time the government were clamping down on local radio stations, and we just so happened to have a power amplifier that went way beyond the set distance. When reduced to government range we found that there was little we could do in the way of attracting sponsers. Plus the fact that I had, and still have a very good oversea's job. The situation was all getting a bit risky.

Starting tomorrow Tuesday 10 July, Radio Thailand FM90.5 will now repeat at 6pm and no longer live at 8.30am, the audio track of Andaman News TV program from TV Channel 11 VHF dial, both broadcast to Phuket, Phang Nga and Krabi, and later the video version maybe repeated on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 (& its asociated affliates) at 3.30, 7.30, & 11.00pm, + 01.30am.

In all a very poor service on offer ! :o

Will look forward to the day we get a "real" radio station in Phuket, the island is crying out for one !

Will look forward to the day we get a "real" radio station in Phuket, the island is crying out for one !

Yes an all round poor affair,,,,,, An internet station would be the answer ?

Edited by choppychugger

Not good news. What is wrong with this island and the powers that be? And BKK has Virgin Radio.

I don't mind listening to the mindless dribble of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs's propaganda and all is good in Thailand broadcasts, but there has to be something better. I won't hold my breath.

Will you be willing to pay for that service or are you expecting someone to subsidize it for you? You know the old line about you get what you pay for?

If you are not happy with what's available, then get a satellite radio receiver and you can tune into something that is then satisfactory.

If a business could make a buck out of providing english radio service in Phuket it would do so. However, conventional radio is at the end of it's life cycle and is dying a slow death. It's 2007 and the market demographics have evolved.

We should also clarify that as far as we know, Radio Thailand FM90.5 in Phuket is renting out some airtime with producers coming from Bangkok and is going to soon broadcast new English language programs for these 3 local Andaman provinces, but continue to broadcast national and international news on the hour, including 1 hour news programs at 7am, 12 midday and 7pm. They will probably announce new local programs when they are ready, but are now testing facilities etc...

Meanwhile Andaman News on TV11 VHF dial will continue to be broadcast to 3 Andaman provinces at 8.30am. MiniVDOs continue to be posted on www.Thaisnews.com and occasional posts on here. Any suggestions for news reports and interview topics are always welcome. Email [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

From the Phuket Gazette:

All-English radio launches in Phuket

PHUKET CITY: Phuket now has its first all-English radio station, 90.5 Phuket Gold FM, broadcasting from the Radio Thailand office near Phuket Rajabhat University.

The launch was announced at a press conference at the China Inn restaurant in downtown Phuket City this morning.

90.5 Phuket Gold FM is managed jointly by Bangkok-based KOOL...EST Co Ltd and monthly lifestyle magazine Phuket Bulletin.

A press release distributed at the launch announced that programming would be positioned as a “touristainment radio”, also targeting the local expatriate community.

Music segments will feature Western music hits from the 1970s, 80s and 90s, along with local tourism industry news and national news by Radio Thailand.

Listeners can expect to hear songs by such artists as Eric Clapton, Elton John and The Eagles, the press conference was told.

Speaking at the launch were MR Rujayapa Abhakorn, Managing Director of Bangkok-based KOOL...EST, Phuket Bulletin Managing Director Chaiyot Pinpradab and Radio Thailand acting Director Weerapong Waitayawongsakul.

While other radio stations on the island have had limited segments in English, 90.5 Phuket Gold FM will be the island’s first all-English radio service, broadcasting daily from 8 am until midnight.

Listeners in parts of Krabi and Phang Nga will also be able to receive broadcasts.

The service will start with a music-only format, with other features to be added gradually over the next two months.

The station will have an expatriate program director with more than 10 years of experience. All DJs will be native English speakers.

The new format replaces the Thai-language “Aloha FM” service, which previously operated the station under a two-year contract with Radio Thailand.

From the Phuket Gazette:

Listeners can expect to hear songs by such artists as Eric Clapton, Elton John and The Eagles, the press conference was told.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL THEM BEFORE ITS TO LATE?

WE DONT WANT TO HEAR HOTEL CALIFORNIA! noOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :o

its a great song and all but ................

From the Phuket Gazette:

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL THEM BEFORE ITS TO LATE?

WE DONT WANT TO HEAR HOTEL CALIFORNIA! noOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D

its a great song and all but ................

Ah well!! lets see then! its getting better! :o

It has been all English for 2 weeks now. The only complaint I have is that the same songs play over and over again. Sometimes twice-three times an hour.

There is also zero coordination between the DJs and the control room. But better than nothing. I will re-subscribe to my satellite radio, though.

I have no idea of timings but 89 FM has a few English programmes and, being a bit of an aging rocker, I was very impressed with some of the music played, I think last Saturday: Pink Floyd, Bad Company, Scorpions (different track to usual) and more.

But at the wrong times it's the usual Thai fare.

MiniVDO: Phuket will have a full English language radio station that will cater to tourists and expatriates in the region.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=214330

90.5 Phuket Gold FM, covering Phang Nga and Krabi as well, will be the only English language radio station in the region, playing hits from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. This station will be a joint venture with Mom Rajawong or M.R. Rujayapha Abhakorn, Managing Director of 90.5 Phuket Gold FM and KOOL…EST Co., Ltd., the bi-lingual magazine ‘Phuket Bulletin’ with Managing Director and Editor in chief Mr. Chaiyos Binpradap, and Radio Thailand of Phuket with Mr. Veerapong Witayounsakul, acting director of Radio Thailand Phuket completing the circle. The station will help promote tourism in the region, serving as a place for news and entertainment for tourists and expatriates alike,” as its Managing Director explains:

90.5 Phuket Gold FM will be officially up and running on the 9th of September 2007, while programs are expected to be on the air waves as early as August, while our ‘Andaman News’ TV news program will continue to have its audio track repeated on the same frequency 90.5 FM at 6pm weekdays.

-------

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) 8.30am + FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, both broadcast from Phuket City to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe later on Phuket Cable TV Channel 1, Monday 23 July 2007 & www.Thaisnews.com {Our news text and mini-videos can be freely copied, but give credit to Andaman News TV11 Phuket or contact [email protected]}

The point of a local radio station is local information between a series of programmed content and world music? Correct me if am wrong!

I do believe there are enough Phuket locals (and visitors) who would welcome a local English-language Phuket radio station to sustain a viable market. :o

I've tried listening to it a few times while driving and, no offense to anyone trying to make the project work, but i find it kind of boring and too much like elevator music. It may have been just those times that I've tuned in, but it seems that I consistently hit that type of music when I tune in.

I'd love a little more variety some classic rock or some top 40 stuff. (what I would like to hear)

Right now I'm not picking up what they're puttin' down.

Another idea for programing would be some happy beach music, for a beautiful Island.

The point of a local radio station is local information between a series of programmed content and world music? Correct me if am wrong!

I do believe there are enough Phuket locals (and visitors) who would welcome a local English-language Phuket radio station to sustain a viable market. :o

i dont see what the problem is....just record the music...watch tv for news....phuket gazette website for news if you want to read it...