Vista, Toshiba, Router,true Is So Horrible!

junkofdavid2

Okay, I don't know which of the 4 (in the topic title) is the problem

I've had many sleepless nights since Sunday night ever since I bought this new Toshiba laptop with pre installed Vista.

First, couldn't connect to internet.

After trying very hard to connect, I call up True Support and they say I have to change my modem to one of 3 models which are compatible for Vista.

I buy one of their recommended 3 in Pantip yesterday (Zyxel P660-T1) and spend so much time trying to get it to fix until I give up and call True again.

True technician comes and says that the modem I got (which was recommended by True over the phone) is not compatible with Vista

I go back to Pantip today and return it (luckily, they gave me back my money), and then I go back to True shop and refer me to some IT guy. He says I have to get yet another modem model available only near BTS Ari, and so I go there (Astra Co.).

At Astra Co., they give me a modem (Billion 5200S) and say it will work just fine with Vista.

I connect again tonight, and still the same error comes out. But this time, it "sorta" worked for a while on a few websites (like MSN) and then went dead again eventually.

I have no problems using my PC with XP with the same True connection.

Is it really that horrible to get a new toshiba/OS Vista/Modem??? :D

Am I doing something wrong? Please suggest, but remember I'm not a tech guy so please use "ordinary" language... :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

Might just be a dud internet connection, Vista will generally let you know if a piece of hardware isn't working and I suspect you wouldn't have been able to get on the internet at all if it was Vista.

Are you using a driver from a CD or letting Vista find a driver?

Might just be a dud internet connection, Vista will generally let you know if a piece of hardware isn't working and I suspect you wouldn't have been able to get on the internet at all if it was Vista.

Are you using a driver from a CD or letting Vista find a driver?

Just letting Vista find the driver.

The only CD which came with it was an instruction CD.

If it's a dud internet connection, why would my PC with XP be working fine? :o

So confused!

oh... the other strange thing is... when the True technician plugged in his own modem/router, it seemed to work (which is why he told me to buy another modem/router). However, the exact model he was using is not available anywhere anymore, and it looked big and expensive. :o

Hello David,

The advice was “never buy any Modem/Router from a True shop” I probably had to extend that also to the advice they give you.

To connect a modem bought from True shop regardless which brand name you need to use your computer to “dial” (PPPoE) the True ADSL connection. Normally a ADSL router is capable to do this them self, just by entering the setup.

As my previous advice the D-link DSL-2640T router has a setup wizard which makes it very easy to get online, you only need to know your user name and password.

The original Billion 5200S works without problems with Windows Vista, the only problem is that True changed the firmware. Which takes away about 50% of the functionality of the router, and making it basically not more then a simple Ethernet router.

Trying to install the Billion 5200S following the Billion manual will surely fail, your best chance to get online is to call True support and follow the steps they suggest.

Today,

I'll bring my laptop and Billion with me to the Billion shop, and if that doesn't work, to the True shop and have them make it work.

If it works fine on their ADSL lines and not on mine, then I'll at least know that maybe the problem is with my ADSL line right? :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

Hello David,

The advice was “never buy any Modem/Router from a True shop” I probably had to extend that also to the advice they give you.

To connect a modem bought from True shop regardless which brand name you need to use your computer to “dial” (PPPoE) the True ADSL connection. Normally a ADSL router is capable to do this them self, just by entering the setup.

As my previous advice the D-link DSL-2640T router has a setup wizard which makes it very easy to get online, you only need to know your user name and password.

The original Billion 5200S works without problems with Windows Vista, the only problem is that True changed the firmware. Which takes away about 50% of the functionality of the router, and making it basically not more then a simple Ethernet router.

Trying to install the Billion 5200S following the Billion manual will surely fail, your best chance to get online is to call True support and follow the steps they suggest.

Richard, i am looking a a new router / modem , a member sugest me LINKSys ADSL Modem Wireless Router ( WAG54G ) i download the pdf manual , it have 84 pages .... and going to see it ( modem ) the next few day

Do you think i will have problem to conect to my existing TRUE account with it ?

my USB modem TRUE give me 3-4 years ago ( TERA ) sometime crash and true make me feel stupid when i ring them , and I do not want to pass by them to buy a new modem ..

advice form you will be welcome .

thank

Hello Simcity,

Nothing wrong with a Linksys WAG54G router, personally I'm not the biggest fan of Linksys. But that is mostly based on personal feelings, others may love the user interface.

In the price range of 2000 Baht there are many different brand names available and the Linksys WAG54G is for me in the top five product range of choice.

Hello Simcity,

Nothing wrong with a Linksys WAG54G router, personally I'm not the biggest fan of Linksys. But that is mostly based on personal feelings, others may love the user interface.

In the price range of 2000 Baht there are many different brand names available and the Linksys WAG54G is for me in the top five product range of choice.

Richard , thank you for the reply .

it is hard to find ( LINKSYS ) , only one in the center i went today, and it was in a open box .. few Dlink there, as it is not urgent , i am looking at all aspect ! I saw you sugest the D-link DSL-2640T router , is that a LAN too and wireless ? easy to set up with TRUE ?

next week will look in pantip for my final choice. My Tera did not crash the last few day .... :o

Okay, I don't know which of the 4 (in the topic title) is the problem

I've had many sleepless nights since Sunday night ever since I bought this new Toshiba laptop with pre installed Vista.

First, couldn't connect to internet.

After trying very hard to connect, I call up True Support and they say I have to change my modem to one of 3 models which are compatible for Vista.

I buy one of their recommended 3 in Pantip yesterday (Zyxel P660-T1) and spend so much time trying to get it to fix until I give up and call True again.

True technician comes and says that the modem I got (which was recommended by True over the phone) is not compatible with Vista

I go back to Pantip today and return it (luckily, they gave me back my money), and then I go back to True shop and refer me to some IT guy. He says I have to get yet another modem model available only near BTS Ari, and so I go there (Astra Co.).

At Astra Co., they give me a modem (Billion 5200S) and say it will work just fine with Vista.

I connect again tonight, and still the same error comes out. But this time, it "sorta" worked for a while on a few websites (like MSN) and then went dead again eventually.

I have no problems using my PC with XP with the same True connection.

Is it really that horrible to get a new toshiba/OS Vista/Modem??? :D

Am I doing something wrong? Please suggest, but remember I'm not a tech guy so please use "ordinary" language... :o

junkofdavid2

sorry to hijack your post !

No prob Sim!

Anyway, I brought my laptop to the modem supplier and he sorta fixed it up for me.

Brought it back to my apartment and STILL ERROR, and my Network connections still say that my connection failed.

FUNNY THING IS... even if the indicator says that my PPPoE is "disconnected", MY INTERNET CONNECTION IS NOW WORKING FINE.

Why would the indicator say that I am not connected, when in fact I am connected and am surfing properly (as I am now)???

This is so strange!!!

So now, how do I:

1) Get rid of that internet connection error message, and

2) Get my laptop to know the truth, which is that I'm now surfing fine.

Another funny thing:

Internet is connected even without my typing my username and password... it's connected as soon as my computer's startup is complete.

WEIRD!!! :o

The D-link DSL-2640T is a 4-port Ethernet switch and router, Wireless Wi-Fi access point with an ADSL2+ compatible modem.

Compared to other ADSL routers in the same price class, the D-link DSL-2640T is one of the best selections. The price is a most shops at Panthip below 2000 Baht.

Are these usb or LAN modems?

You should always use a LAN modem for ADSL.

Then there are no drivers or OS considerations.

As long as your PC sees the LAN connection it will see the modem/router.