Green book transfer, owner not in Thailand

sallecc

I searched this topic, but couldn't find anything... I was thinking to buy my friend's old scooter, but she has left Thailand and might not come back anytime soon, green book is here (I helped her to update this year's registration / insurance)... Is it possible to do green book ownership transfer, if owner is not present? I asked few people, they said yes, because 'anything is possible in Thailand'... ? ????

11 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

she can give someone authority (probably i misspelled it, sorry) a lawyer can do it via online signature. I think it will cost you around 5000 - 8000K for the lawyer and all paper work. Maybe little bit less.

Thanks... I was hoping that (PoA) was not necessary, as 5k is half of scooter cost ???? (old Yamaha Nuovo B10k, shopping bike)... Anyone think it could be done without PoA (Power of Attorney)? (wouldn't make sense, but as they say, anything is possible in LoS lol)

If you can still be in contact with her you need her to send to you a signed photocopy of the ID picture page of her passport and a signed photocopy of the passport page showing the Thai immigration stamp date of her leaving Thailand.

There 2 papers forms you can send to her which she can sign which you can get from the DLT office. 

Once you have the 4 papers you can take the scoot and the green book to the DLT and get it in your name. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All of the above but i did a similar thing and they asked for a valid visa.

If there i a chance she is coming back you would be better off to wait for that.

Using the scooter and having the green book will allow you to update tax and insurance each year as you already did.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jvs said:

If there i a chance she is coming back you would be better off to wait for that.

Using the scooter and having the green book will allow you to update tax and insurance each year as you already did.

The owners photocopy passport page showing date of exit from Thailand is what is needed not for any visa validation as I understand it. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The owners photocopy passport page showing date of exit from Thailand is what is needed not for any visa validation as I understand it. 

That may well be but that is not my experience,but different offices have different rules.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jvs said:

That may well be but that is not my experience,but different offices have different rules.

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Thanks, where was that DLT office? I'm in Phuket... You mean they required that owner's visa is still active, or they needed your visa to be other than tourist? (I'm on Covid extension now, later will do long term solution)

26 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Thanks, where was that DLT office? I'm in Phuket... You mean they required that owner's visa is still active, or they needed your visa to be other than tourist? (I'm on Covid extension now, later will do long term solution)

It's a fair call that not all DLT's do things the same.

So maybe go your local DLT and ask them what they need from you. 

What I laid out was what was wanted from our DLT to change a book owners name who lives in Oz.

57 minutes ago, sallecc said:

It was Cha-am office,yes the required visa still active.

We bypassed this by adjusting the date of signing,it was a bit of work but with a bit

of help it all worked out.(some one who knew some one in the office)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

She just needs to send you the signed paperwork, costs as much as a letter to Thailand costs.

Don't know why somebody would get a lawyer involved and throw a lot of money out of the window.

And how does she get a letter of residence from immigration..not here and no visa???

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If it's only worth 10k then maybe not bother and just wait until she returns, by then may be worth 0

Fully agree.

Why try such a complicated transfer for a bike of 10k estimated value?

You can drive, pay tax, do inspection.

The transfer would make sense only if you want to sell it again?

I have doubts about some of the above "easy/peasy" tips.

In Thailand seller and buyer either have to sign the transfer/sale document at DLT in person or otherwise the signature of the absent person has to be "notarized" at the district office (amphoe).

I would be concerned if some signature and ID photocopies in an ordinary letter are enough to transfer ownership.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If you can still be in contact with her you need her to send to you a signed photocopy of the ID picture page of her passport and a signed photocopy of the passport page showing the Thai immigration stamp date of her leaving Thailand.

There 2 papers forms you can send to her which she can sign which you can get from the DLT office. 

Once you have the 4 papers you can take the scoot and the green book to the DLT and get it in your name. 

Worth a try though I am surprised they took it that easy.

27 minutes ago, baansgr said:

And how does she get a letter of residence from immigration..not here and no visa???

Only required if OP wants to do the transfer in Chonburi, afaik no other province requires this from the seller. In case of Chonburi a copy of her passport showing the exit stamp will work instead. OP also didn't say if the owner is a foreigner or Thai, if Thai then not required anyway.

16 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

In Thailand seller and buyer either have to sign the transfer/sale document at DLT in person or otherwise the signature of the absent person has to be "notarized" at the district office (amphoe).

I have done quite a few transfers over the years in different provinces, this is definitely not the case.

Have you guys ever done any ownership transfer here in Thailand? Super easy. Theoretically all you need is the bike, the green book and a picture/copy of the owner's ID card or passport. Anybody could then complete the transfer documents in the owner's name and the DLT would transfer it (if the bike isn't stolen), don't ask me how I know....

• 9 months later...

On a related topic, is it required that one must wait for the transfer to be completed at the DLT  before the previous owner actually gives the bike to the new owner? I’ve sold three motorcycles over the years here and I never waited for the transfer to be completed before giving them the property that they already paid for.

I am in he process of buying a secondhand Triumph Trident from a Thai owner. He’s being a bit paranoid about handing the bike over to me even after I pay and he gives the green book to me. He wants to keep the bike (which is currently uninsured) until the transfer has been officially completed. Is this normal and does he have reason to worry about me taking possession of a bike that is still technically in his name until the transfer is complete? We are going to use a local bike shop to do the transfer because otherwise both of us and the bike have to go to the Chatuchak DLT, which I would be a big hassle.

The green book is being held by a major bank (due to a loan). I have to pay him first, so that he can pay off the bank and get the green book. I don’t have a problem with that, but as far as I’m concerned, as soon as that process is complete, the bike is mine. Is my stance contrary to Thai law?

JGA

About 15 minutes after I posted my message above, the seller of the Trident sent a message to me asking if I was going to take the bike home after paying for it. I guess he changed his mind without any prompting from me. I now have the bike, bill of sale, signed copy of the bank transfer, etc. I will get the green book from the bank sometime this week.

JGA

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1