Can we van have a new pinned topic. “Drivers licence procedures Chiang Mai 2022” Things have changed.

mikey88

What do you think.

It’s a nightmare at Transport Dept. trying to get ANY accurate information.

I have an international permit plus a valid Australian car licence…..for example….and my old Thai licence is expired more than one year.

My Visa agent…..for example…..tells me that a new 2 year licence can be gotten without having to do the written computer test…..?  

What is the exact procedure for people who now have an expired Thai licence (over one year expired)……because of being out of the country (because of Covid)..

Can anyone with the knowledge share….

Greatly appreciated…as always.

I am in the same boat as you except my Thai DL was a 5 year version

But like you being out for Covid caused mine to expire

I am not sure what the procedure will be but, If you think back as I do originally I had must my

US license & a international permit when I went for my first Thai license & did not need any written test

In fact because I had a US car & motorcycle license at that time they gave me Thai car & also a bike license

I think your agent is right because if you apply with a valid foreign license & international permit your only made to take the short reaction test & vision at the counter

Post what you find when you do yours ????

Edited by mania

Well….I tried again today.

No luck at all.

Disaster at the Chiang Mai Transport. A complete mess.

Thai Bureaucracy..!!

if you haven’t had a Thai licence before…..it appears you can’t get a new one without any test.

You just present your valid country of origin licence and your IDP……...BINGO.

But ….if you’ve had a licence before….like me….and stuck outside the country so that it expired…..But you also present your valid IDP plus your valid country of origin licence……sorry…..no good….you have to do the written test preceded by the online video…..????

On 7/11/2022 at 11:43 AM, Janney B said:

Agreed!! More clarity on this would be good.

Could some kind person with the knowledge and the time do a summary of what’s CURRENTLY required for all different scenarios….

Here’s hoping.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 5:17 AM, mania said:

I am in the same boat as you except my Thai DL was a 5 year version

But like you being out for Covid caused mine to expire

I am not sure what the procedure will be but, If you think back as I do originally I had must my

US license & a international permit when I went for my first Thai license & did not need any written test

In fact because I had a US car & motorcycle license at that time they gave me Thai car & also a bike license

I think your agent is right because if you apply with a valid foreign license & international permit your only made to take the short reaction test & vision at the counter

Post what you find when you do yours ????

It’s a mystery.  But what has happened to me is that my 5 year Thai licence has expired for over one year…..that seems to be a pivotal point…..

Then I had to log in and do an online video and answers questions ……and from that you get a code.

Then you get a medical certificate (joke) plus a Residents Certificate……

Then you take that to Transport.

Then they give you papers.

Then you go to a room for the written test.

Then they fingerprint ID you.  (Yesj

Then you log in with your fingerprint plus your code from the online video……(usually your passport number).

Then you answer 50 questions….

You get more than 5 wrong…..you Fail.

Some questions are reasonable……others are non sense word Salad…..the translation seems to have been auto generated…..
Some don’t pertain to driving at all…..They are about vehicle maintenance…..and are foolish and confusing…..eg…..”if problem with fan belt check with hand or with finger…….? “

(Answer for some reason is finger…)

Edited by mikey88

If renew inside 1 year after expire no written computer test needed.
More then 1 year, Need written computer test.

This is for renew my 5 years driving licens, That i was told in Chonburi not long ago.

All so when Applied for a queue, There is a option to watch a movie and answer a few questions.
It say on the site, That if one do that, One dont need to watch the nearly 1 hour move at 
Transport Dept.

Dont know if that correct, As my queue is 19 July.

I did try early to renew, But this year, I was told NO to yellow book as proof of my adresses, So i needed to get a address certification from Immigration.
So hope they are happy now ????

Kindly.

Edited by JJ Madcow
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, I did the online test. It's stupid easy. First they make you watch a one hour video and it has to be in the foreground - you can't open another tab - and they will pause periodically and ask you a question (unrelated to the video) to ensure you are still in the room and paying attention. Once you have "watched" the video, the exam comes up. It's a total of three random multiple-choice driving questions, unrelated to the video. In my case it randomly asked the same question twice! Anyhow, you only need to answer two out of the three questions correctly to pass. If you have any doubt about your answer, just type the exact text of the question into google and the answer will come up. Once you "pass" the exam you get a QR code to show when you do the license application. Then, when I was asked for the QR code, the examiner just glanced at it, did not scan it, and that was that. Got my license renewed.

13 hours ago, clokwise said:

FWIW, I did the online test. It's stupid easy. First they make you watch a one hour video and it has to be in the foreground - you can't open another tab - and they will pause periodically and ask you a question (unrelated to the video) to ensure you are still in the room and paying attention. Once you have "watched" the video, the exam comes up. It's a total of three random multiple-choice driving questions, unrelated to the video. In my case it randomly asked the same question twice! Anyhow, you only need to answer two out of the three questions correctly to pass. If you have any doubt about your answer, just type the exact text of the question into google and the answer will come up. Once you "pass" the exam you get a QR code to show when you do the license application. Then, when I was asked for the QR code, the examiner just glanced at it, did not scan it, and that was that. Got my license renewed.

But how long was your old licence expired…?

mine was expired over one year.

I did that video ….but then I had to go to Transport and do a 50 question computer test.

Get 6 wrong and you fail.