Two nine year olds drown in lake being dredged to make it deeper - families express heartfelt regrets

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Nine year olds drown

Daily News reported that the Nong Hong police in Buriram in NE Thailand were called to Ban Nong Samed in Thai Sammakhi sub-district after two nine year old boys drowned in a lake. 

They were named only as Meo and Bombay. They were both supposed to be under the care of grandparents.

The lake was an old one but was being dredged to make it deeper by a state authority. 

Sanong, 57, a rescuer, said he heard screams for help from a backhoe driver and saw two boys aged 5 and 6 by the water's edge. They pointed to where their elder sibling had been playing in the water. 

They managed to find the boys but they were already dead.

It appeared they thought that the water was shallow like before. 

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

The backhoe driver Pheeraphat said he had seen four children playing and told them to clear off. He thought they had complied with his warning until he turned to see that only two were left. 

Meo's mother said that she and her husband worked in another province and left their children with a grandparent and there had never been a problem.

Meo was their great hope for the future as he was very good at school and looked after his younger siblings and his grandmother admirably. But they didn't know why he was swimming as he didn't like to do that.

Bombay's grandmother said he liked swimming and often sneaked off to swim despite her warnings.  

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 6

20 hours ago, webfact said:

But they didn't know why he was swimming as he didn't like to do that.

Bombay's grandmother said he liked swimming and often sneaked off to swim despite her warnings.

So which one is correct?

On 7/11/2022 at 3:48 AM, webfact said:

They were both supposed to be under the care of grandparents.

Always ‘under the care of Grandparents’…..

The dereliction of any responsibility by those who ‘should’ be responsible is utterly criminal.

When I watched my mother in law hand my 3 month old son a bread-bun (on which he’d choke as too young for solid food) I told my Wife we will never leave her parents to baby-sit…

They had no idea of the danger, I asked my wife how her & her brother survived childhood !!!