Bored (Drilled Piles) in Khon Kaen, Udorn, Kalasin Area

GarryP

I am having a house built in Kalasin and was planning on using driven piles, but from my experience with the neighbour (a senior policeman who is full of his own self importance) when building the land retaining wall, driven piles are out of the question. As such, it is either going with footings or bored piles for my single storey house. Perhaps I am being overly worried/cautious but I believe that even though it would be more costly, bored piles would be the best option. Has anyone had any experience with bored piles and if so which company would you recommend. Someone posted on this subject a shortwhile ago, but despite my best attempts I have not been able to find the post.

Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.    

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I am having a house built in Kalasin and was planning on using driven piles, but from my experience with the neighbour (a senior policeman who is full of his own self importance) when building the land retaining wall, driven piles are out of the question. As such, it is either going with footings or bored piles for my single storey house. Perhaps I am being overly worried/cautious but I believe that even though it would be more costly, bored piles would be the best option.

The first action should actually be to contact the local government offices that are involved, the OrBorTor. They will know the soil substructure and recommended support structure. 

In our case piles of any kind would have been redundant and a soil weight bearing test substantiated this. 

Naturally you can drill piles and any pile drilling companies will agree with your choice.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The first action should actually be to contact the local government offices that are involved, the OrBorTor. They will know the soil substructure and recommended support structure. 

In our case piles of any kind would have been redundant and a soil weight bearing test substantiated this. 

Naturally you can drill piles and any pile drilling companies will agree with your choice.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll call them this afternoon. Embarrassed that I did not think of this myself.  My (poor) excuse is that I am in Bangkok and the house will be built in Kalasin. 

51 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll call them this afternoon. Embarrassed that I did not think of this myself.  My (poor) excuse is that I am in Bangkok and the house will be built in Kalasin. 

It is a common misconception that piles are required for building, specially for anyone who watches any kind of construction in Bangkok or other river delta areas where piles are required since you can go through 30 metres or more of ooze and still not reach load bearing depth.  Here with less than 1 metre footings there is plenty of support, but nearby something more substantial is needed.

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is a common misconception that piles are required for building, specially for anyone who watches any kind of construction in Bangkok or other river delta areas where piles are required since you can go through 30 metres or more of ooze and still not reach load bearing depth.  Here with less than 1 metre footings there is plenty of support, but nearby something more substantial is needed.

Forgot that today is a government holiday so no one answered my call to the Tessaban. The land we are building on was filled with additional earth two years ago. A local civil engineer said that if we go with footings below the fill depth and road level, we should be fine with just footings. However, that was just mentioned in passing quite a while ago. We'll give the Tessaban another call on Monday.  

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Forgot that today is a government holiday so no one answered my call to the Tessaban. The land we are building on was filled with additional earth two years ago. A local civil engineer said that if we go with footings below the fill depth and road level, we should be fine with just footings. However, that was just mentioned in passing quite a while ago. We'll give the Tessaban another call on Monday.  

That is probably going to be the answer from the local government civil engineers as well.

In our case the fill was in for over 9 years and the university engineering department did a soil bearing test so we were able to use the fill in our footings as it was sufficiently compacted.

A general guide is that if the fill level has not dropped to a little under 70%  of its original hight you need to dig through the fill and into what was the original soil level.

Also if you dig too deep do not put earth back in, aggregates and sand if compacted are OK

• Like 2