Using Contact Payment on BTS/MRT

I'll be making a trip to Bangkok next month, the first out my area since March 2020! I know that contact payments are the way to go now and I wondered if I can simply use my UK ATM or Visa card as I would in the UK - tap and go. Or do I have to register? And what about in stores?

Edited by Bangkok Barry

You mean "contactless" I'm sure ???? 

The MRT and Purple Line automatic gates will take your contactless Visa or Mastercard no problem but you won't get any "elder" discount which you could get by buying an MRT+ card (assuming you are over 60).

BTS don't have that facility yet, "coming soon", for now you will need to buy a Rabbit card (needs your passport) or single-ride tickets from the machines using cash.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

You mean "contactless" I'm sure ???? 

The MRT and Purple Line automatic gates will take your contactless Visa or Mastercard no problem but you won't get any "elder" discount which you could get by buying an MRT+ card (assuming you are over 60).

BTS don't have that facility yet, "coming soon", for now you will need to buy a Rabbit card (needs your passport) or single-ride tickets from the machines using cash.

Thanks. And yes, contactless, even though I contact my card with their machine or entry gate. But then, bad and wicked now mean good, whereas when I were a lad they meant the opposite, and ladies who acted were called actresses instead of adopting the male term of actor, thereby giving up their own identity when I think the aim was the opposite. It's hard to keep up. It's a confusing world.

• Haha 1