90 day report required by 26th July; new extension of stay required 19th August

I live in Hua Hin. We have two immigration offices: a small satellite office in a shopping mall on the main road in town; and the main immigration office which is on the outskirts, about 10 kms from the town centre. The satellite office deals with 90 date reports; the main office grants the extensions of stays.

I have an extension of stay (retirement) on an OA non immigration visa. A brief history:

(a) OA visa started 29th August 2018 from London;

(b) OA continued a second year in 2019;

(c) 1st extension of stay (retirement) granted 19th August 2020;

Immigration also granted new 90 days at same time.

(d) 2nd extension of stay granted 19th August 2021

Immigration also granted new 90 days at same time.

This year, I will be going to the main Immigration office for my 3rd extension of stay on 19th August. I prefer sticking to the exact same date each year so I don’t forget the need for renewal.

This year, my latest 90 day report is due on 26th July. As I understand it, the report must be made within 15 calendar days before, or within 7 calendars days after, the 90-day period expires. To make sure there are no problems, such as forgetting it, I always go to Immigration well before the due date.

So today, 20th July, I went into the satellite Immigration office. I pointed out that the current extension of stay expires on 19th August, and so she can’t give a new 90 date beyond 19th August. The main Immigration office can issue a new 90 day date when they issue the new extension of stay.

She then said that she could deal with my request today, but it would be better to do it on 26th July. Her English was not very clear, made worse because she was wearing a face mask (I was wearing one too). I know she was trying to be helpful but I did not understand her explanation. She also kept mentioning something about 45 days which was not clear either.

Excluding today (20th), 19th August is in 30 days’ time. Excluding 26th July, 19th August will be 24 days afterwards. 

All I was asking for was for her to note that I had done my 90 days report as required within the current time limit, and for her to cover me until 19th August on the basis that the main Immigration office will grant a new extension of stay together with a new date for the 90 day report.

Can someone kindly explain what I have misunderstood. I know that she was trying to be helpful but her explanation was not clear.

Extensions of stay and 90 day reports are independent of each other. If the period to file the 90 day report falls within the 30 day window for doing an annual extension then they can be done at the same time...otherwise two trips are required. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, silver sea said:

I pointed out that the current extension of stay expires on 19th August, and so she can’t give a new 90 date beyond 19th August.

Incorrect: My extension expired in May, made my corresponding 90 day report in March with a new reporting date of June 14. 

When you pointed out what you thought was helpful she probably got confused...

• Thanks 1

Similar thing happened to me a few months ago.

90 day report due April, extension (retirement) due 18th June.

Completed 90 day report online in April, approved but print out showed next 90 day report due 18th June!!

Did the extension in May and then the 90 days online early June.

90 days approved, next due September.

So, even online could not get past the extension expiry date.

Something new or just IO here?  Chiang Mai.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ginkas said:

So, even online could not get past the extension expiry date.

As said your 90 day reporting and your extension dates are not linked.

My extension expires next month and I did a online report that was approved on the 7th of this month and my next one is due in October.

• Thanks 1

As others have posted, yearly extension and 90d report are not linked. If they happen to be within the same 30d/15d window, Immigration can well do both on the same day.

Also note that the 90d is valid for 90 days from the day it is approved.

The extension starts from the day the current one expires, regardless of which day it is approved.

If you can do online 90d, I believe they remind you anyway for the next one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Incorrect: My extension expired in May, made my corresponding 90 day report in March with a new reporting date of June 14. 

When you pointed out what you thought was helpful she probably got confused...

Correct, they are indecent of each other, 90 days will be due 90 days after your report day and not tied to your extension. What she was trying to explain to you is that you can do your extension up to 45 days early than expiration. Also there is no sense waiting until near your extension is due as it will continue to be valid with the same expiration day (following year) from initial issue. The only reason it will be cut shorter is if you have an expiring passport. I just found this out (I also use HH IMM) as I renewed my Type O on 30 May, normally my EXP is 15 June, but since my passport expires on 9 June next year the officer only gave through 8 June of 2023. By the way to transfer your visa to new passport is a simple form and 500 baht fee.

• Thanks 1