Visa for Laos required of i just want to do a border run?

Laos seems to be the only practical option (I'm in Chiang Mai) at the moment for a border run. When doing border runs in the past to Myanmar, i just needed my passport and 500 Baht - walk in and out in 5 minutes. Any extra complications like a Visa required to do this in Laos?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For entry to Laos you will need to get a visa on arrival that is available on the Lao side of the crossing. Cost is about $40 or the equivalent in Baht.

Having done this myself I would advise making sure you have $US for the Laos visa fee, if you pay in Baht you get a really bad exchange rate, I think it was about $3 to the bad the last time I did it at Non Khai.

(I know many less well-off expats are counting the pennies).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

I think for Brits it is still $35 or 1500 bht for the Laos visa.

Here is a report from the Laotian Times dated May 22:

https://laotiantimes.com/2022/05/25/laos-announces-updated-tourist-visa-fees/

A notice issued by the Consular Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, last week provides an update on the latest visa-on-arrival fees for tourists of different origins.

Visas provided on arrival for foreign nationals from all nationalities will be charged USD 40, except for Chinese and Vietnamese nationals, when applying for a tourist visa at an international checkpoint, according to the notice.

Chinese or Vietnamese citizens applying for a visa on arrival to Laos will be charged only USD 20.

I am unsure what they charge to pay in baht, but I believe the exchange rate is as horrible as ever if you choose to do so.

Edited by BritTim

11 minutes ago, transam said:

Could well be, I read this page...

https://visaguide.world/asia/laos-visa/

That site appears to be out of date. It still shows the old visa on arrival fees.

"The Laos visa fee is USD 30 to USD 45, depending on your nationality."

The news article posted states this.

"Visas provided on arrival for foreign nationals from all nationalities will be charged USD 40, except for Chinese and Vietnamese nationals, when applying for a tourist visa at an international checkpoint, according to the notice."

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That site appears to be out of date. It still shows the old visa on arrival fees.

"The Laos visa fee is USD 30 to USD 45, depending on your nationality."

The news article posted states this.

"Visas provided on arrival for foreign nationals from all nationalities will be charged USD 40, except for Chinese and Vietnamese nationals, when applying for a tourist visa at an international checkpoint, according to the notice."

Yeh, I saw that, oh well...........☹️

• Sad 1

Thailand is ADDING some 300 baht fee.......Laos isn't going to reduce any previous fees.  lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes way up......never down.    

It's a stinger, 1500.  And I think you pay 40 to leave, I forget.....something small.

but it can be done, and that's all that matter.   1500 over the course of a month is nothing.

2 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

Thailand is ADDING some 300 baht fee.......Laos isn't going to reduce any previous fees.  lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes way up......never down.    

It's a stinger, 1500.  And I think you pay 40 to leave, I forget.....something small.

but it can be done, and that's all that matter.   1500 over the course of a month is nothing.

No sure what you are writing about.

There is no fee for entry to a Thailand at this time. The 300 baht fee has been put on hold indefinitely.

And there is certainly no linkage between the 2 countries.

Laos changed the fees for visas on arrival. For most countries it is $40 US or the equivalent in Baht or KIp.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no fee for entry to a Thailand at this time. The 300 baht fee has been put on hold indefinitely.

Interesting.  BANGKOK: All foreigners entering Thailand are expected to pay the proposed 300-baht tourism fee.  That was on July 15th, so I guess they changed it......  Comparing countries paying a fee when you enter.  

Visas provided on arrival for foreign nationals from all nationalities will be charged USD 40, except for Chinese and Vietnamese nationals,

OK, that's for Laos.  40 USD seems more than when I went last time.  

My "linkage" is post-COVID.....I believe all countries will try to get more money, not less.  I'm not seeing the less part.  

17 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

That was on July 15th, so I guess they changed it......  Comparing countries paying a fee when you enter.  

The PM announced it was be put on hold indefinitely after that.

18 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

OK, that's for Laos.  40 USD seems more than when I went last time.  

It was $35 before for many countries.

You seem to be confusing fees for entry and the cost of a visa on arrival.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The PM announced it was be put on hold indefinitely after that.

It was $35 before for many countries.

You seem to be confusing fees for entry and the cost of a visa on arrival.

I agree, you are correct.   Entry and Visa to Laos, to me (I guess, not technically) is the same.  Can't enter without a visa.

No worries, I was incorrect.  It's a Saturday, relax with no stress.  

15 minutes ago, dcalaska said:

So, $50.00 online plus '' bank charge fee'' could be way more than $40 at the border with Visa on arrival. 

Last time I went to Laos they charged an extra fee for ''overtime''. I hate theses border scams.

Its 1 $ overtime fee . 

The its 20 Baht to use the turnstile to exit , then its 20 Baht for the bus ride . 

Its just a right hassle keep having to get change , change money , pay money here and there whilst trying to navigate yourself through the border 

Like when you need to change a 1000 Baht and get Lao Kip in change , just to pay 20 Baht for a turnstile 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
28 minutes ago, Sambo5000 said:

Just payed 1700 baht for laos visa vientian crossing

It is well worth ensuring you have a few US dollars in clean, undamaged notes. In this case, it would have saved you approximately 310 baht.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/22/2022 at 9:02 AM, hakancnx said:

Yes, you have to have a visa. Can buy at the border. Bring Us $ 40 in spotless bills. ( The cashier is very sensitive. )

And a photo. 

Right before crossing on left hand side bunch of businesses before you get border they have photo shops , used to get 10 for 100 b but I’m sure that’s changed , I also park my vehicle over there for free