Moving to UK with Thai wife and son

Hello, 

Two questions, 

1. I'm planning to move to the UK with Thai wife and baby (due in October), in about 10 months. Other than the £60K+ in bank my UK bank account for over 6 months, are there any other requirements I should be preparing now or any general information on the process? 

2. I am expecting a 1st child in October (in Bangkok), with my Thai spouse. I will of course want to obtain a UK passport for baby asap. Does anyone have a list of doc/requirements I need? - I am returning to the UK next week, and will get copies of my and my parents' birth certificates, but any other information would be extremely handy! 

Any help much appreciated!

Joe

On 7/25/2022 at 11:43 AM, Joejoejoejoe said:

I will of course want to obtain a UK passport for baby asap

There is extreme pendency at the British Emb, Bangkok.

TAT for passport is around 11 weeks +

There are two versions of Brith Certificate - Full (long) version and short Version.

Make sure you have the ‘full version’.

IF your child is born overseas - His children (your grandchildren) are not automatically granted British Citizenship as a right (but rejection would be uncommon). 

Reportedly Passport applications are taking a long time (12-16 weeks according to some reports), so allow plenty of time. 

As you are planning on Moving to the UK in Oct and as your child is due in Oct you have left a very short window (an impossible window some might say). It may be worth considering travelling to the UK some time earlier and having the child there, or planning to delay your return until 3-4 months after the Birth. 

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

Post giving incorrect "advice" and along with a  "measured" response removed.

I'd  be interested to know how my advice was incorrect.

My daughter was born in Bangkok. She has a British passport, now lives and works in UK. How does she not have British citizen rights?

Also, I didn't register her birth at the British embassy neither have I ever had to apply for anything other than her passport.

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

My daughter was born in Bangkok. She has a British passport, now lives and works in UK. How does she not have British citizen rights?

Also, I didn't register her birth at the British embassy neither have I ever had to apply for anything other than her passport.

The British Embassy stopped registering British kids at the Embassy .

Turns out all they were doing was writing a name in  book in BKK and doing nothing with it and charging 100 Quid for the privilege .

There was no purpose to it at all 

10 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:
1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

Post giving incorrect "advice" and along with a  "measured" response removed.

IF I’m not mistaken, the only automatic rights your daughter will be missing is the automatic rights of her children to automatically become British citizens IF they are born outside of the UK. 

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Turns out all they were doing was writing a name in  book in BKK and doing nothing with it and charging 100 Quid for the privilege .

My daughter was born in 2002. They were still registering at that point. I remember they were actually suggesting that kids must be registered.

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

My Son’s first British Passport was applied for 8 years ago, back then the application (for a childs 1st Passport) was made at the Consular office directly. 

I asked if I needed to register my sons Birth and was told I can if I want, but there is no point as there was no value in it and they were ‘doing away’ with that system anyway.

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF I’m not mistaken, the only automatic rights your daughter will be missing is the automatic rights of her children to automatically become British citizens IF they are born outside of the UK. 

I believe you are correct. Not exactly a reason to travel half way across the world to have a baby.

Nullified anyway as my daughter's boyfriend is British. ????????????

Edited by youreavinalaff

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Son’s first British Passport was applied for 8 years ago, back then the application (for a childs 1st Passport) was made at the Consular office directly. 

I asked if I needed to register my sons Birth and was told I can if I want, but there is no point as there was no value in it and they were ‘doing away’ with that system anyway.

Yes, I recall that a member of the public raised the issue in the Houses of Parliament (though his M.P) and after investigations , they realised that registering someone at the Embassy served no purpose at all and it was just a waste of everyone's time and cost 100 quid  and then they stopped doing it