The National Education Bill – Shaping The Future Of Thai Education

image.png

By Editor

The National Education Bill is set to enter the Parliament for further deliberation in September, sparking new hope for some but concern for others. 

The passage of this bill is likely to be concluded before the end of the year, and once it is enforced, it will affect not just students but also teachers and parents. Since education lies at the foundation of life, work and national prosperity, this bill will be responsible for shaping the future of everybody in Thailand.

Education Minister Treenuch Thienthong says the bill, if passed, will be a key turning point for Thailand’s educational sector as it focuses on students’ performance and ability to apply their knowledge to real-life situations. It also aims to develop quality teachers who can educate children for a successful future.

Tanawat Suwannapan, who represents the Kru Korsorn group of educators demanding to teach rather than focus on extracurricular activities, said he hopes the bill will ensure teachers can devote their attention and time to teaching and child-development activities. He hopes the new law will also allow teachers to function with efficiency and enjoy a better quality of life.

image.jpeg

“We want assurances,” he said, adding that he does not understand why teachers are expected to make sacrifices and not question anything. He said teachers are forced to accept the current system despite decades of talk about the need to promote critical/analytical thinking among children.

Recently, many groups of teachers have been complaining loudly about the fact that teachers are often so overwhelmed with other tasks that they have no time to teach. In some places, teachers are having to cook for their students and sometimes even stand guard. When some teachers refuse to do tasks that are not related to their job, they are labeled selfish or inconsiderate.

Their complaints, however, are not without merit. For instance, one teacher lamented online that his school principal was so desperate for awards that students and teachers are more busy preparing for contests than focusing on the curriculum or schoolwork.

Many teachers say they barely have time to actually teach, given that there are so many other responsibilities to handle, including paperwork and support for special events. For instance, every time an important figure visits their town, students and teachers are required to show up and welcome these guests of honor. They are also expected to attend local cultural events or festivals.

One young female teacher recently posted her resignation online, saying she preferred quitting because the current system does not let her teach.

image.jpeg

“Even when I do manage to find time to be present in class, I usually have not had time to prepare for the lesson,” she lamented.

Dr Kanok Wongtrangan, an educator, said the Education Ministry is aware that many good teachers have given up their jobs for such reasons. Yet, it has no plans to get to the root of this problem.

Amnart Witchayanuwat, a member of the House’s ad-hoc committee vetting the National Education Bill, said Article 14 (11) of the bill requires measures to stop teachers from being forced to carry out tasks, projects or activities that can prevent them from fulfilling their main duty. It also demands that students be given enough time to focus on their studies. Amnart was formerly secretary-general of the Office of Basic Education Commission.

“This article [of the bill] also specifies that chiefs of relevant authorities will be punished with disciplinary action if they fail to support proper educational services,” Amnart said, pointing out the benefits of the draft legislation.

Natthameth Dulkanit, an educational supervisor based in Bangkok, believes the bill is actually designed to ease teachers’ workload and not directly related to teaching. However, the problem does not end here.

“The next question is, who will take over those tasks from the teachers?” he asks. “Big schools may have enough funds to hire staff to tend to jobs like school-supplies management, but small ones do not have such luxury.”

Move Forward MP Kunthida Rungruengkiat, who is also a member of the ad-hoc committee overseeing the bill, said its content reflects distrust among parties concerned.

“If you pore over the content, you find many questionable details,” Kunthida said. “Apparently, the drafters are afraid that people will not comply with the law and have tried to plug all loopholes.”

For instance, this bill bans entrance exams for kindergartens but stipulates that all 7-year-olds be admitted to Pathom 1.  “What happens if some children at that age are still unable to read or write?” Kunthida asked.

In her view, the National Education Bill – which will eventually become the guiding law for the country’s educational sector – may not need to micromanage every aspect of teaching and education. Instead, she believes, it should just create a framework and leave the details to action plans or organic laws that can be amended more easily should any problem arise during implementation.

Kunthida also voiced concern that “patriotism” is highlighted in many parts of the bill. Article 8, for instance, states that schools should ensure students recognise the importance of the nation, religion, monarchy, and constitutional monarchy. It also expects teachers to instill in them a sense of duty to the community, society and the country.

“What if social context changes and these aims become irrelevant?” she said.  The MP said she can’t help but feel that students and teachers working under this law will only be expected to obey orders.

The House of Representatives has approved the National Education Bill in principle, and it is now being reviewed by the House ad-hoc committee that includes Kunthida, Amnart, and several other MPs.

“Most committee members agree with 60 to 70 percent of the bill’s content,” Amnart said, adding that the remaining 30 to 40 percent may require some rewording or additions that ensure the educational service works efficiently for the benefit of learners and institutions.

However, even if the committee makes changes, there is a possibility that the House of Representatives may vote against these amendments.  “We will not have the final say,” he said.

Source: https://royalcoastreview.com/2022/07/the-national-education-bill-shaping-the-future-of-thai-education/

image.png

-- © Copyright Royal Coast Review 2022-07-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

First start to pay decent salaries to Thai teachers.. 5000 to 7.500 THB a month is too less for the workload.. Reduce students in classes and extra classes.. Today the Kings Birthday and I see kids going to special class. No time to make their mind free?? Stop with homework at primary schools and sent kids to the nearest school at their house, although that everyone want to be at famous schools. Take teachers from that famous school and put them in the schools with mixed classes now and with more kids from the neighbourhood they will have no mixed classes and also 25 kids in a class.And kids are sooner home and less traffic jam.. and many more things.. I was in school where kids in P 6 still counted on their fingers......Than there is really something really wrong. A excellent THai English teacher asked how come that P6 students don't know the ABC.. and the only answer I could give that that was the reason that I stopped with teaching after 18 years. And abolish the always pass law... Let kids get used to work for something....   

The whole education system stinks. My 6 year old did not go to school for nearly 2 years and now she never seems to be there - or there doing nothing.

She had been back about 5 weeks.

week 1 - 3 day week due to election

week 2 - I think 4 day week due to holiday/staff training

week 3 - 3 day week due to holiday/staff training

week 4 - 3 day week due to holiday/staff training

week 5 - will be 4 day  due to holiday/staff training

The school sends us photos.

She has stopped for 1 day doing monk flower gifts.

She has stopped for 1 day praising teacher on teacher day.

She has stopped for 1 day praising king on king day.

Never in my life have I known a education system like this mess.

All i ever see is colouring in and i doubt she'll get a job doing that

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

And that is why they are paid much more than you say. The starting wage for a government teacher is 15k a month.

Wish that was true I know schools here in Phetchaburi very well known they are looking for qualified teachers for 7.500 THB a month and own payment of 750 THB SSF. Yes they should earn 15k a month, but there are many schools were a teacher earns 10k a month.... As they always say... follow the money and you where is goes

55 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Wish that was true I know schools here in Phetchaburi very well known they are looking for qualified teachers for 7.500 THB a month and own payment of 750 THB SSF. Yes they should earn 15k a month, but there are many schools were a teacher earns 10k a month.... As they always say... follow the money and you where is goes

Government teachers NO. 

Government teachers are paid by the government, not the school. The 15k a month is the national starting salary.

Each school may employ further teachers directly and use school budgets to pay them. The salaries could likely be lower and one year contracts will be offered. Those teachers hired directly do not need to go through the teacher licence process, may have lower qualifications and may not have had any formal teacher training.

The same goes for private schools.

On 7/28/2022 at 1:25 PM, youreavinalaff said:

Mother, father, any family member. Local teacher who would also be off school.......I certainly would not stand by if my seven year old child could not read and write their mother tongue.

Not taking sides but both are correct but I lean a bit more on his side since I live with 100% Thais look like one. 

Just curious you live in Thailand if so is it in  Gated community any direct association with a pure government school? 

6 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Not taking sides but both are correct but I lean a bit more on his side since I live with 100% Thais look like one. 

Just curious you live in Thailand if so is it in  Gated community any direct association with a pure government school? 

No gated community. My hone is a traditional Isaan village.

Not sure what the last bit of your question means but I will confirm that my daughter attended a school that is 100% government run.

3 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Not sure what the last bit of your question means but I will confirm that my daughter attended a school that is 100% government run.

3 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Thanks for answering!  I ask these questions so to constantly try to learn if what I've experience which has shape my general opinion on things are true. Your answer continues to lead me to believe  Pattaya and Bangkok isn't indicative of what Thailand is all about. 

It is nice and refreshing that a pure government school isn't what it is in Pattaya in particular that has lead me to be so negative in general it sad daily to see so many in my Thai village not going to school even before Covid.

My reference to gate community?  reason I've found that those who live in a gated community usually in general are in a higher standard of living, economics, that they not send their kids to a pure government school, rather pay money for something better. Those who do usually are in general in the dark as to what is happening in government schools.

23 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Thanks for answering!  I ask these questions so to constantly try to learn if what I've experience which has shape my general opinion on things are true. Your answer continues to lead me to believe  Pattaya and Bangkok isn't indicative of what Thailand is all about. 

It is nice and refreshing that a pure government school isn't what it is in Pattaya in particular that has lead me to be so negative in general it sad daily to see so many in my Thai village not going to school even before Covid.

My reference to gate community?  reason I've found that those who live in a gated community usually in general are in a higher standard of living, economics, that they not send their kids to a pure government school, rather pay money for something better. Those who do usually are in general in the dark as to what is happening in government schools.

Your use of the phrase " something better", when comparing government schools with private schools, is something I disagree with.

I was an Englush teacher in Thailand for over 20 years. In my experience a good government school is streets ahead of a good private school. I don't have any experience with International schools do couldn't comment on them.

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Your use of the phrase " something better", when comparing government schools with private schools, is something I disagree with.

I was an Englush teacher in Thailand for over 20 years. In my experience a good government school is streets ahead of a good private school. I don't have any experience with International schools do couldn't comment on them.

That is where we part,  here in Pattaya most likely not where you taught for twenty years I've not experience your standard. As far as I'm concern government schools are just a baby sitting. 

My son once I settle perm in Pattaya quickly lucky realized and pull him out of a government school paid " something better " concentrating on study instead of showing up in time to stand tall for their anthem. I pushed for over a year had him private tutor got him help in English from a friend who taught at Pattaya International school.  My goal was simple that he didn't have to use a calculator for 2 plus 2 = 4, after 10 years of government school he didn't end up like majority kids in our neighborhood still can't name off the ABC, go beyond " how are you I'm fine " I won't apologize for my views it is shape by what I see and experience nor will I try to shape yours from yours. 

Edited by thailand49

I wouldn't send my kid to a school in Thailand even if they paid me.

For the love of all things good, take your son to a country with a real education system.  If not, don't complain about him/her having a very, very, very, very, very difficult life.

I've spent enough time in "schools" to know to put school in quotes.  Private and public.  Private is better for safety, but worse food and less friendly teachers since the entire goal is to make the director money.  

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...
On 7/28/2022 at 11:33 AM, RichardColeman said:

The whole education system stinks. My 6 year old did not go to school for nearly 2 years and now she never seems to be there - or there doing nothing.

She had been back about 5 weeks.

week 1 - 3 day week due to election

week 2 - I think 4 day week due to holiday/staff training

week 3 - 3 day week due to holiday/staff training

week 4 - 3 day week due to holiday/staff training

week 5 - will be 4 day  due to holiday/staff training

The school sends us photos.

She has stopped for 1 day doing monk flower gifts.

She has stopped for 1 day praising teacher on teacher day.

She has stopped for 1 day praising king on king day.

Never in my life have I known a education system like this mess.

I even had to go around the various orders of this system. For example, you can now easily find a quality service for them to write your written work for you. Here for example I found here https://edubirdie.com/do-my-paper a very good site where there are experts in various fields in the writing of works for pupils and students. They came in handy for us. To even slightly level the complexities of the education system.

All i ever see is colouring in and i doubt she'll get a job doing that

Yes, I completely agree with you, our educational system is a horror.