Need Assistance Getting to and From Bangkok

Ebumbu

Hello expats. I need to travel from Phuket to Bangkok for major surgery. The problem is, I can barely walk at this point. I'm in pain. I'll be fine after surgery. Can anyone refer a Phuket business that would help pick me up, get me to the Phuket airport, get me a wheelchair, and wheel me to check-in and to my gate? I'll need to same service coming back, but I'll be walking on the return trip, more or less. I will probably be exhausted, so a wheelchair would be fine. It's a big ordeal, but I've been told that the best surgeon is in Bangkok. Any suggestions for assistance traveling are welcome. 

Thanks! 

I am not sure if you can fly, but that would take much less time and bumps all along the long road driving to Bangkok.

Surely you can get wheelchair boarding at the airport, and on arrival + book a private taxi in Phuket, as well on arrival in BKK, to pick you up. Maybe get a short paper from the doc in PKT to show at the airport to not discuss 20 minutes.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

A lot of the ambulances on phuket are owned and managed by charities or foundations, besides collecting injured people after road accidents they are used to move patients around from hospital to their house.

They should be able to meet your requirements, I don’t know if there is published price or if you make a donation to the charity, you will have to discuss it with them.

The large charity I know working in phuket is the Kusoldharm Foundation and their number in phuket town is 076-246301.

• Like 1

You must state you need wheelchair assistance when booking a plane ticket, they will have someone ready at check-in, with an airport wheel chair, they will take you through first, you will be first on the plane and last off with no queuing . At Suvarnabhumi they even wheeled me to a taxi. If you have your own wheelchair it must go in the hold. 

I was treated beyond good at swampy, I have no idea about Phuket Airport though.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, kelso4 said:

A lot of the ambulances on phuket are owned and managed by charities or foundations, besides collecting injured people after road accidents they are used to move patients around from hospital to their house.

They should be able to meet your requirements, I don’t know if there is published price or if you make a donation to the charity, you will have to discuss it with them.

The large charity I know working in phuket is the Kusoldharm Foundation and their number in phuket town is 076-246301.

Good idea. Thanks. Will try. 

11 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You must state you need wheelchair assistance when booking a plane ticket, they will have someone ready at check-in, with an airport wheel chair, they will take you through first, you will be first on the plane and last off with no queuing . At Suvarnabhumi they even wheeled me to a taxi. If you have your own wheelchair it must go in the hold. 

I was treated beyond good at swampy, I have no idea about Phuket Airport though.

Oh, will try that! Thanks. Tough period of time right now. 

They are generally  marvelous at the airports to help all sorts of health problems, broken legs, advanced age etc. Just find an ambulance or similar to get you right to check in. Same on way back. Your local doctor might have addresses. 
And yes, you must mention it to your airline so that they are prepared, front seat in plane near door. 

3 hours ago, geisha said:

They are generally  marvelous at the airports to help all sorts of health problems, broken legs, advanced age etc. Just find an ambulance or similar to get you right to check in. Same on way back. Your local doctor might have addresses. 
And yes, you must mention it to your airline so that they are prepared, front seat in plane near door. 

OK, so I do need an ambulance service and I can't rely on just booking with Agoda and specifying I need wheelchair assistance, right? Another poster here suggested I just: 

On 7/29/2022 at 4:48 AM, brianthainess said:

You must state you need wheelchair assistance when booking a plane ticket, they will have someone ready at check-in, with an airport wheel chair, they will take you through first, you will be first on the plane and last off with no queuing .

I'll figure it out. Would prefer to save on an ambulance. Where I come from, price would be sky high. Of course, TIT. We shall see. 

16 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

OK, so I do need an ambulance service and I can't rely on just booking with Agoda and specifying I need wheelchair assistance, right? Another poster here suggested I just: 

I'll figure it out. Would prefer to save on an ambulance. Where I come from, price would be sky high. Of course, TIT. We shall see. 

If your prepared to travel to Bangkok and pay for a Bangkok surgeon the cost of a Phuket ambulance should be minimal.

Anyway taxi to airport would probably be best, a porter at airport drop-off should easily be able to arrange a wheelchair to get you to check-in, the major point is to make sure when you book your ticket you advise them of the need for wheelchair support.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, foreverlomsak said:

If your prepared to travel to Bangkok and pay for a Bangkok surgeon the cost of a Phuket ambulance should be minimal.

Anyway taxi to airport would probably be best, a porter at airport drop-off should easily be able to arrange a wheelchair to get you to check-in, the major point is to make sure when you book your ticket you advise them of the need for wheelchair support.

Awesome. Regarding surgeon: price is the same at Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok or Phuket, as it turns out. They have a surgeon I trust in BKK. The local guy doesn't have his experience. Will follow your instructions.

11 hours ago, dirtybirty said:

if you can fly do it . i find the special assistance in thailand amazing top notch compared to the western world.  Bangkok airways are exceptional. you might need a fit to fly letter from Dr depending on your illness ect

Great. So I would directly call Bangkok Air with travel dates and details, right? That's clear. My issue is a hip, which is considered "elective surgery" even though I can't walk now. So, probably no problem getting assistance.