Durian monthong not ripen

ilikethai

I visited Nong Khai and  bought 2 uncut monthong durians.   I wrapped them in newspapers and stored in airtight pots.  I was told by seller to cut between 3-4 days (he guaranteed me).  No odor after 4th day so I waited till 6th day, still no odor.  So I cut one of them open and to my surprise it was still unripened!!!  luckily I didn't cut out all the husk I just presliced the outside pulp sections and cut the top off.  On the 7th day the other was smelly and cut up and all ripened.  But it's the 12IMG_20220723_080932.thumb.jpg.a3dee65629f41b428d6d4d5876920c53.jpgth day and the unripened one still not ripened with no smell or of odor.  I paid close to 2,000 baht for these stinkers.  Did I get scammed? 

• Haha 1

It is illegal in Thailand to sell unripe Durian. Has been for a number of years and carries a 3 year prison sentence and a fine of up to 60,000 Baht. .

Edited by IvorBiggun2

On 7/30/2022 at 6:26 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

It is illegal in Thailand to sell unripe Durian. Has been for a number of years and carries a 3 year prison sentence and a fine of up to 60,000 Baht. .

Seriously?  I've never known that.  Should I go back to the seller and demand money back?  Or is he's gonna threaten me.  I feel the latter.  If coming from Udon, turn right at 3 way Thai Lao friendship bridge road, pass the convenient Mini Big C /Lotus shop, his durian stall is on the right.  It's a wife and husband stall in their late 20s or early 30's.

Edited by ilikethai

1 hour ago, ilikethai said:

they had big baskets full of unripened durians.  

How do you know they were "unripened"? I think you can only tell by opening them up?

One of the easiest ways to tell if a durian is ripe is to hold it to your ear and shake it.