The Beaten, Raped, And Murdered Body Of Thai Teen Found On Japanese Ship

sriracha john

Missing girl's body found in cargo ship

The body of a missing 14-year-old girl found in a cargo ship en route from Chon Buri to Japan was returned to Thailand by Japanese authorities yesterday. The girl's mother reported her disappearance to police three weeks ago. Aswin Khwanmuang, police chief of Region 2, said Japanese police found the body of Rampai Yaoram, 14, aboard the Panama-registered Prince of Tokyo when the vessel anchored at a Japanese port. Her body arrived back in Bangkok yesterday on a Thai Airways flight organized by the Thai embassy in Japan. Pol Lt-Gen Aswin said an autopsy performed at the Forensic Institute found Rampai was beaten, raped and suffocated. Her mother, Mrs Sudamas, 36, said she would take her daughter's body back to their hometown in Sa Kaeo's Watthana Nakhon district for funeral rites. The Prince of Tokyo left Siam Silo port in Si Racha for Japan on June 1, Pol Lt-Gen Aswin said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/22Jun2007_news11.php

==============================

Beyond the myriad of possibilities of how she ended up onboard is the unspeakable horror she must have gone through.... :D

R.I.P., little one.... :o

SrirachaSunset.jpg

I am additionally moved by your last vision of Thailand being Sriracha...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim.

I do some work for a factory located near the mouth of the Chao Praya River and they have some big ships that dock there and unload. Some of the crew members are pretty rough characters and it's definitely not a place for a young girl.

Regardless of the circumstances that led to her being there, it's tragic for her family to suffer this loss and I am sure it wasn't intentional.

A Thai girl whose body was found in Japanese ship is raped : Thai police

An autopsy of a 14-year-old Thai girl whose body showed up on a Japanese ship revealed that she had been assaulted and raped, Thai police said.

"Her cause of death was suffocation, pressed by heavy objects and raped. She bore obvious signs of sexual assaults. She had several bruises at month, nose, ribs and sexual organ."

Semen that was found in her vagina was sent for DNA testing. "We found some food left in her stomach, showing that she died shortly after having some food,'' the doctor said.

Dr Pol Col Pratheep Wisarut told reporters that victim had been dead for a couple of weeks.

The freighter, the Prince of Tokyo, docked in Thailand's Sri Racha port on May 31. The girl was on board with her mother who had been employed to do temporary work on the ship while it was at the dock.

Police said the mother had lodged a complaint with the police after she was unable to find her daughter after work.

Seven days later on June 7, the victim's body was found on board. The freighter's captain alerted the employer of the victim's mother about the victim, said Police spokesman Pol Lt Gen Ronnarong Yangyuen.

Her body was sent back to Thailand on Wednesday and sent for autopsy at the Police Hospital.

Meanwhile the victim's mother; Sudmart, said that she was employed to collect pieces of wood on the ship and her daughter asked to accompany her onto it. When she could not find her daughter after finishing her work, she thought that her daughter already went home.

She decided to alert police as her daughter vanished and did not go home.

- The Nation

POOR KID , i hope they catch all the people and pass the death sentence on them , she must have suffered a hellish last few hours of her short life

R.I.P.

One can only hope it was only a "few" hours, but likely days of terrible abuse and torture. Truly a tragic story.

It's a truly horrible story. I only hope there is not more to it than meets the eye. I can't understand how the girl was on the ship to be with her mother, then the mother finished work and couldn't find the girl. Ships don't just leave quickly, like a car leaving a carpark. If the last place she was seen by her mother was on the ship, why didnt she report it to authorities who would then organise a search of the ship if it was still in dock and/or send a boat to the ship if it had left the dock?

There is something decidedly curious about this.

There is one conclusion one could come to - and it's something I've heard of before but have dismissed as a horrible urban legend - but I don't think it needs airing here.

It's a truly horrible story. I only hope there is not more to it than meets the eye. I can't understand how the girl was on the ship to be with her mother, then the mother finished work and couldn't find the girl. Ships don't just leave quickly, like a car leaving a carpark. If the last place she was seen by her mother was on the ship, why didnt she report it to authorities who would then organise a search of the ship if it was still in dock and/or send a boat to the ship if it had left the dock?

There is one conclusion one could come to - and it's something I've heard of before but have dismissed as a horrible urban legend - but I don't think it needs airing here.

I am sure there is far more than meets the eye to this horrendous tale.

But what bothers me is why it is not the Japanese authorities who are investigating this case and did not do an autopsy, then get DNA samples from every crew member when it was determined the victim was murdered and raped, thus presumably getting a speedy conclusion to the case.

It appears that the Captain acted correctly, by reporting the crime, but as there is no mention of the ship or the crew being impounded, the perp is now back on the high seas and free to abscond wherever. And as presumably the Thai authorities will not be spending vast amounts of tax payers money on solving the case as she is neither rich or famous, then one can fairly safely assume the case will not be solved anytime soon.

Thus, my question is, in the case of a foreign registered vessel (in this case Panamanian), should a crime that is committed on the high seas not be investigated and tried in the country where it is first reported??????? I know in UK, when poor African kids climb under the wheels of jets heading to Europe, and fallout frozen stiff into somebodies backgarden in suburban Surrey, at least they get a decent autopsy, inquest and burial, even if there is no crime committed. Why did Japan not take the initiative where there obviously is a crime committed?? :o

Edited by plachon

More importantly, why did the mother not alert authorities to this when she first discovered the girl missing? The ship would still have been in port. It was the last place she was seen.

Come on people . . . i think you know where I'm going with this.

More importantly, why did the mother not alert authorities to this when she first discovered the girl missing? The ship would still have been in port. It was the last place she was seen.

On the basis of the reports it looks like she did alert promptly.

I do however, have this worrying image of the stevedore {mother} trying to have a meaningful conversation whilst the ship is due to sail {on the tide?} and probably being asked questions such as 'Are you sure your daughter didn't wander off the ship?'

Edit Do agree that the process at the Japanese end seems odd, at least on the basis of what 's being reported

Regards

PS Bendix, I know but I don't think it's a speculation for here right now.

Edited by A_Traveller

She did, if you read the report Bendix.........."Police said the mother had lodged a complaint with the police after she was unable to find her daughter after work."

So may be you should be asking why did the police and port authorities not act sooner.?

But it still doesnt add up. Think of the logistics. She is with the girl on the boat. She finishes work. Where is the girl? Presumably still on the boat. I think we can assume the boat didnt scurry away the minute she got off it . .it could have been hours later.

So how does one explain the apparent contradiction between the report that she lodged a complaint with the police and the fact she was last seen on the boat?

I dunno . i reall dunno.

The ship docked in Sriracha on May 31 and left the following day on June 1.

I'm assuming that the tide dictates arrival and departure times?

Anyone know how long the ship was in port. Based in the BP article the vessel was loading and the mother was a stevedore involved in the process.

Note the BP report says the mother reported the girl missing the day before {30th}, guess this is usual BP sub-editor skills.

Regards

Bendix, you always come off as a person that lives in Thailand but maybe doesnt leave his room. I'm not trying to be offensive but it only takes me a short time out and about in Thailand to see that common sense, logic and proper procedure are rarely if ever encountered yet all your posts always ask "why this and why that" in refence to how people should do things to get proper results..... you'll spend your whole life here asking why. You ask good questions, but for some other country. Doing the logical proper thing here does not gaurantee any kind of logical proper result. I've personally reported a serious crime to the police and they threatened to deport me, I could ask why all year and I'll never get an answer. My point is, you don't have to see conspiracies in the process this worked out, to me it's common place and expected. If the police dragged their feet on responding to a missing child report, well, at least they didnt threaten the mother in the process! That's something right!? If things were always done in the cool calm logical common sense fashion you elude to this would be a totally different country.

I hope to god some sort of justice is done in this case, but I am afraid nothing will happen and it makes me sick.

Damian

Edited by DamianMavis

Bendix, you always come off as a person that lives in Thailand but maybe doesnt leave his room.

If things were always done in the cool calm logical common sense fashion you elude to this would be a totally different country.

I hope to god some sort of justice is done in this case, but I am afraid nothing will happen and it makes me sick.

usually people who claim no logic to Thailand are people who don't understand how things work. Everything is perfectly logical for the most part if you understand Thai culture, language and ways of doing things. It my seem completely illogical to the outsider, but it is quite logical to the insider. I admit many things don't make sense to me; here or most other places. But that is because I have never rented or watched the insider, as i don't like Russell Crowe.

In this case, knowing the situation of most sailor ports and having picked things up at SriRacha, I think what is being hinted at is that this is not the sort of place most parents would allow their kids to be running freely around in generally.

BTW it seems rather shallow at Sri Racha given the coast line, and Laem Chabang is the one that is the deep water port. My own guess is that they might be loading either via barges or in the port itself; usually ships can do this quite fast; at this time of the year high tide is around midnight, with low tides during the day; so the ship probably sailed at night; perhaps very hard to see what was going on?

A real tragedy in any case.

Did you miss this, or do you have reading comprehension issues?

"Meanwhile the victim's mother; Sudmart, said that she was employed to collect pieces of wood on the ship and her daughter asked to accompany her onto it. When she could not find her daughter after finishing her work, she thought that her daughter already went home."

Edited by qualtrough

But what bothers me is why it is not the Japanese authorities who are investigating this case and did not do an autopsy, then get DNA samples from every crew member when it was determined the victim was murdered and raped, thus presumably getting a speedy conclusion to the case.

It appears that the Captain acted correctly, by reporting the crime, but as there is no mention of the ship or the crew being impounded, the perp is now back on the high seas and free to abscond wherever.

Just speculating here but what makes you believe one of the crew has done it? She might as well been raped/murdered by one of the other stevedores on board while the ship was still in Sri Racha.

It appears that the Captain acted correctly, by reporting the crime, but as there is no mention of the ship or the crew being impounded, the perp is now back on the high seas and free to abscond wherever.

Just speculating here but what makes you believe one of the crew has done it? She might as well been raped/murdered by one of the other stevedores on board while the ship was still in Sri Racha.

Not to give credit to Bendix, but I think (forgive me if wrong too lazy to read thru thread) that he is the one that suggested an autopsy would reveal time of death, etc.. This would go a long way to answering that. However, if you've ever been around a rotting corpse for up to a week I doubt it wouldn't be obvious to the entire crew. My vote is it was a death shortly prior to disembarkation.

Did you miss this, or do you have reading comprehension issues?

"Meanwhile the victim's mother; Sudmart, said that she was employed to collect pieces of wood on the ship and her daughter asked to accompany her onto it. When she could not find her daughter after finishing her work, she thought that her daughter already went home."

No. I didnt miss it.

Anyway, I think I'd better stop this line of thought. it aint going to a nice place. Let's see how it pans out and . . .. oh, never mind.

Edited by bendix

Bendix, you always come off as a person that lives in Thailand but maybe doesnt leave his room. I'm not trying to be offensive but it only takes me a short time out and about in Thailand to see that common sense, logic and proper procedure are rarely if ever encountered yet all your posts always ask "why this and why that" in refence to how people should do things to get proper results..... you'll spend your whole life here asking why. You ask good questions, but for some other country. Doing the logical proper thing here does not gaurantee any kind of logical proper result. I've personally reported a serious crime to the police and they threatened to deport me, I could ask why all year and I'll never get an answer. My point is, you don't have to see conspiracies in the process this worked out, to me it's common place and expected. If the police dragged their feet on responding to a missing child report, well, at least they didnt threaten the mother in the process! That's something right!? If things were always done in the cool calm logical common sense fashion you elude to this would be a totally different country.

Damian

Thanks for your insights. Very valuable.

Sadly, you have no idea to what I'm alluding. I hope you're right, and I'm wrong. I suspect I'm not.

No I do know what you are eluding to, I just think that its more along the lines of the police not doing their job and not the other insidious theory. But you could be right, it is a possibility but what you're thinking is less common than police dragging their feet here. The running joke my Thai friends use is "if you want the police to move fast and really go investigate something pronto, than tell them there is gambling on the premises. They will hustle over to confiscate all the "evidence"."

I was just pointing out that you always seem to advise people to do things like we do it in our home countries like you expect that to actually work and judge everyone else for not doing that.

Damian

It appears that the Captain acted correctly, by reporting the crime, but as there is no mention of the ship or the crew being impounded, the perp is now back on the high seas and free to abscond wherever. And as presumably the Thai authorities will not be spending vast amounts of tax payers money on solving the case as she is neither rich or famous, then one can fairly safely assume the case will not be solved anytime soon.

Thus, my question is, in the case of a foreign registered vessel (in this case Panamanian), should a crime that is committed on the high seas not be investigated and tried in the country where it is first reported??????? I know in UK, when poor African kids climb under the wheels of jets heading to Europe, and fallout frozen stiff into somebodies backgarden in suburban Surrey, at least they get a decent autopsy, inquest and burial, even if there is no crime committed. Why did Japan not take the initiative where there obviously is a crime committed?? :o

It is quite likley that the crew were not Japanese - in this day posbbly Eastern European, Philipinos,  or Indian