Entering Thailand on Visa Exemption

Hi, I'm a Brit travelling LON-BKK on 17/08. Does anyone have experience of entering Thailand on Visa Exemption in relation to boarding a flight (Etihad) in home country and being asked for proof of onward flight, same at immigration in Suvarnabhumi?

Not sure how much, if at all things have changed post covid

TIA

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Several reports of onward flight not being asked for.

One was also from someone that did require an onward flight as requested by airline.

You could try flying without onward flight and if there was issue with airline step away and book cheapest onward flight.

Obviously you would require internet.

You could also Google "onward flights" and buy a rent a ticket. 

Thanks for the answer.

Crazy thing is i tried to apply for a 60 day, single entry tourist visa online but the form is demanding Thai identity for the person who is inviting me. I will be staying in a hotel for the 1st seven days. I asked the hotel and they had never heard of that before, just proof of booking, which i uploaded. They sent me the manager's Thai identity card but wrote on it the date of the booking which is only for 7 days. After that i don't know where i'll be staying. The website was asking for a list of documents as long as your arm!

Anyway, that 'Onwards Flights' website looks good. says they can send a ticket in 4 hours. Most checkins open 3 hours before a flight. How does that work?

Cheers

Edited by BillStrangeOgre

3 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Anyway, that 'Onwards Flights' website looks good. says they can send a ticket in 4 hours. Most checkins open 3 hours before a flight. How does that work?

You buy an onward flight day or 2 prior to flight.

It's a real flight but not confirmed payment.

It works and there is a current thread on AseanNow about that.

The cost of the ticket is approx $15usd.

In my previous post where I suggested if you don't have an onward flight and have issue with airline ...step away from counter and book a REAL flight.

Example Bangkok to Saigon.

Currently approx 1500baht. 

Only one person's opinion I would buy "onward flight" from one of the companies on the net. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Hit n miss

Depends on staff

Think you will find it's more the airline.

I fly Jetstar and AirAsia both low cost airlines. 

Almost certainly would be asked for onward flight if flying visa exempt.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No.

Needs to be onward flight. 

Precovid I was on a visa " based on retirement" .  Now expired I will be coming back on visa waiver  and looking at 30 day + extension. I checked LON Royal Thai Embassy and got this :

• Proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (**otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained).

My intention is to have a ticket from  the Pedang Besar immigration at the railway station to Ipoh . Cost c.£9 just incase I am asked.  ( I may actually leave by car but that is another can of worms)
  •  DrJack54 please can you help in providing a link where it states flights only please . Thanks 
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dogbarker said:

DrJack54 please can you help in providing a link where it states flights only please .

The problem is getting the airline to accepts a bus or train ticket.

Immigration would accept one or a embassy when applying for a visa.

Do a search for onward ticket and you will find websites that offer a temporary ticket for about $15. 

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Dogbarker said:

can you help in providing a link where it states flights only please . Thanks

@Dogbarker The issue is with the airline.

To give you a boarding pass some will insist that you have an onward flight.

Upon arrival immigration at pp control almost certainly not ask for onward flight and for that matter not require you to show adequate funds..

• Like 2

Just arrived Swampy from NZ.  only needed to show passport and boarding pass for the flight l was on. First time back since covid halted travel. I was stunned how lmmigration attitude had changed towards tourists. No grumpy official giving You and Passport the 3rd degree.  It was a breeze, not having to show outbound flight, hotel booking, vax doc, lns etc etc. Yes l know not required, but now a much more pleasant experience after long haul flight. Even got a 'Very Big' smile and welcome from Lady officer.

Long may it last in the LO$   

• Like 2

I rent an apartment in Bangkok but haven't been there in 3 years.  I want to get a 60 day visa.  Should the building manager send me a copy of an up to date rent agreement, for the accommodation?  Must it cover the whole time I'm there?  If I didn't have the lease would a hotel reservation, for less than 60 days suffice?

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 2:45 AM, DrJack54 said:

@Dogbarker The issue is with the airline.

To give you a boarding pass some will insist that you have an onward flight.

Upon arrival immigration at pp control almost certainly not ask for onward flight and for that matter not require you to show adequate funds..

Yes, this has always been my experience in the past with Thai immigration

20 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Yes, this has always been my experience in the past with Thai immigration

On 8/6/2022 at 1:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

The problem is getting the airline to accepts a bus or train ticket.

Immigration would accept one or a embassy when applying for a visa.

Do a search for onward ticket and you will find websites that offer a temporary ticket for about $15. 

Thanks ubonjoe. I will be arriving from the UK on waiver with a confirmed  return ticket just after 3 months and a pre booked Air Asia confirmed flight to Malaysia to see family on day 29. Stay 11 days then return. I will have 59 days before my  main uk return ticket.  if I  enter on a waiver I do  have a return ticket but not within the lifetime of that waiver . I intend to get an extension to cover. But will the airline  / immigration accept this ?.. that is why I am looking to cover me .. or will that be acceptable ? To be honest I have never been asked in my many years of  travel to produce proof of exit or funds .But new passport no stamps so no records  and until covid was a visa based on retirement.. for several years after Multientry stopped from Hull.  Thanks as always ..

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 2:11 PM, Dogbarker said:

Thanks ubonjoe. I will be arriving from the UK on waiver with a confirmed  return ticket just after 3 months and a pre booked Air Asia confirmed flight to Malaysia to see family on day 29. Stay 11 days then return. I will have 59 days before my  main uk return ticket.  if I  enter on a waiver I do  have a return ticket but not within the lifetime of that waiver . I intend to get an extension to cover. But will the airline  / immigration accept this ?.. that is why I am looking to cover me .. or will that be acceptable ? To be honest I have never been asked in my many years of  travel to produce proof of exit or funds .But new passport no stamps so no records  and until covid was a visa based on retirement.. for several years after Multientry stopped from Hull.  Thanks as always ..

I arrived last week on a 30 day visa exempt with Etihad from London (via Abu Dhabi) and wasn't asked for anything to board the flight except ticket, passport and proof of vaccination. I had no proof of onward flight

Don't have recent experience but flying in from Europe with exempt next month and no plans on buying an onward ticket because as many of us do, we might do a land border crossing to Laos, Malaysia or wherever so a flight ticket should not be required. That was one of the main reasons I didn't bother applying for a TR visa cos they would need to see a paid onward flight which in my case is just a waste of money since I live in BKK. 

Once or twice I was asked for an onward ticket at departure and I just said I don't have one because I plan to continue travelling and perhaps exiting via land border and that was never a big problem.