Thais renting a car in UK?

My Thai inlaws are going to the UK next year for their daughter's graduation ceremony. They want to know the possibility of hiring a car and driving from England to Switzerland and back. As Thai passport holders is this possible? Perhaps someone out there has experience of their own Thai family doing just that? Or point in the right direction to find out?

13 minutes ago, transam said:

They would have to do visa enquiries to get to Switzerland, and do they know they must drive on the right, which could be a real problem to deal with...

I did it in 1971.....????

Yeah it wore me out concentrating driving on the right with a righthand drive car.

I found is easier driving a left-hand drive car which we hired when working abroad. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Yeah it wore me out concentrating driving on the right with a righthand drive car.

I found is easier driving a left-hand drive car which we hired when working abroad. 

Yep, and I didn't stop in Switzerland, carried on into Italy, now that was road frightening....????

• Haha 1

Why not rent a car in the UK for the UK part.

Travel by train or ferry to a continental location and then rent a car there to travel on continental Europe.

For driving license if they have the 5 year license, they can easily obtain an IDP at the Thai DLT IDP issuing centers (Thai driving license + supporting IDP presented together at any car rental place and to any traffic policeman if stopped and asked to produce)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Why not rent a car in the UK for the UK part.

Travel by train or ferry to a continental location and then rent a car there to travel on continental Europe.

For driving license if they have the 5 year license, they can easily obtain an IDP at the Thai DLT IDP issuing centers (Thai driving license + supporting IDP presented together at any car rental place and to any traffic policeman if stopped and asked to produce)

If they have a 5-year Thai licence they don't need an IDP to rent a car in the UK. An IDP is just a translation of their Thai licence, which is already in English.  They may need one for Switzerland though,

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If they have a 5-year Thai licence they don't need an IDP to rent a car in the UK. An IDP is just a translation of their Thai licence, which is already in English.  They may need one for Switzerland though,

i always get one for driving abroad, wherever I need to drive. Anyway to obtain one is only about 30 mins at the dlt and costs 500 Baht.

A countries driving license regulations say something but when the car rental agencies see my Thai driving license they have nearly always asked for the accompanying IDP and mention that I should present both to a police officer in the event of it being requested.

Why carry an IDP? | International Driving Permit document

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

They want to know the possibility of hiring a car and driving from England to Switzerland and back

Taking a hire car out of UK is quite a hassle. Probably easier to take Eurostar to Lille or Lyon (unless they fancy spending some time in Paris).

https://www.enterprise.co.uk/en/car-hire/deals/EuropeanTravel.html

• Like 1

While a Thai 5 year license is accepted to drive legally, the hire company might require an IDP(given this only costs a few bah)t i would get it, the following is from the Avis rent a car site, which seems to indicate an international license is needed, there is no international license, but i think they mean international driving permit

You and any additional drivers must have held a driving licence for a year. Please bring your licence(s) to vehicle collection. Bring your INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENSEe or a notarised English translation if:

• You’re renting outside of Europe and your driving licence was issued in Europe.
  • Your licence was issued in a non-roman alphabet like Arabic, Greek, Russian, Hebrew or Japanese.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If they have a 5-year Thai licence they don't need an IDP to rent a car in the UK.

I've used a 5-year Thai license to rent cars on many occasions in UK, Italy, USA: never been asked for an IDP, but probably no harm in having one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

They are my feelings. It makes sense.