Appointment for driving licence renewal - Chonburi Nong Yai Branch

Chillypom

I believe it’s now necessary to make an appointment before attending office for drivers license renewal.

I’ve downloaded and registered on DLT SmartQue App. but unable to select Chonburi Nong Yai Branch.  It appears to be ‘greyed out’/not available for selection.

can anyone offer any advice on booking options and/or use of the App?

Many thanks in advance

44 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Does the agent go to the DLT and get the photo of the client taken as well?

Using an agent always recommended but it's not as "convenient" as in years past and the punter actually has to show up for the test and photo.

TikTok Agency in Jomtien will get all the documents in order, pick you up, reserve your spot in the queue, loan you a vehicle for a test and deliver you back to your room. 

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

Correct, that's my point, in this instance you've still got to turn up therefore what's the point in paying an agent.

Getting a DL is one of the easier things to do here IMO.

I prefer the convenience of paying for bespoke services, especially when the expense is negligable.

21 hours ago, Chillypom said:

I’ve downloaded and registered on DLT SmartQue App. but unable to select Chonburi Nong Yai Branch.  It appears to be ‘greyed out’/not available for selection.

can anyone offer any advice on booking options and/or use of the App?

Anyone?

51 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

I prefer the convenience of paying for bespoke services, especially when the expense is negligable.

in some instances yes but using an agent for this does not eliminate the need to attend DLT.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chillypom said:

Anyone?

I suspect that those talking about agents have no idea where you are. I didn't, had to google it, didn't realise that there was a DLT over there, only knew about Mueang, Laem Chabang and Pattaya.

I live near the 344/No 7 junction and use Mueang DLT. When I had to go last year my wife rang up and they said foreigners had to make appointment in person. We trotted along late morning to make the appointment and they said can you come back at 2pm. Not a problem, went and had something to eat, over and done with by 3.30.

Good luck.

Thanks Sandyf.  I actually quoted the wrong office from the DLTAmartQue App and I’m using the main DLT ChonburiProvincial Land Transport Office (Pattaya).

I was informed on visiting yesterday that the App. Does not work for this location, at least for those registering with a Passport rather than Thai ID.

so you have to visit in person to make a booking for licence renewal.

also remember to take you Passport as they won’t allow a booking to be made without it, even for existing licence holders, ????

20 minutes ago, Chillypom said:

Thanks Sandyf.  I actually quoted the wrong office from the DLTAmartQue App and I’m using the main DLT ChonburiProvincial Land Transport Office (Pattaya).

I was informed on visiting yesterday that the App. Does not work for this location, at least for those registering with a Passport rather than Thai ID.

so you have to visit in person to make a booking for licence renewal.

also remember to take you Passport as they won’t allow a booking to be made without it, even for existing licence holders, ????

When you make your appointment can you let us know how far out it is? I need to get mine renewed in a couple of months and would like to know how soon I should make the appointment.

I have read that you need to do an online video and exam. Did you do this in the DLTAmartQue?

I believe you also need a residence certificate and a medical certificate but can you confirm this?

22 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

When you make your appointment can you let us know how far out it is? I need to get mine renewed in a couple of months and would like to know how soon I should make the appointment.

I have read that you need to do an online video and exam. Did you do this in the DLTAmartQue?

Farangs CANNOT make an appointment through the DLTASmartque app....it`s for Thai`s only.......

Dpone MUCH homework on this in the past week.

You HAVE to go twice yourself.  No agent can prevent that.

I pay agents for many things.  This service they can only really help you with getting your med cert and residency cert.  That is it.  There is no other convenience.

Agents charge 5000 to 6000 for this.  In this case NOT worth it imo.  

However, I DID pay agent to go get my residency cert for the two licenses costing 900 baht.  
Why?  it saved me a lost half day at immigration.  They pick up and deliver after.  Well worth it.

med cert go to a clinic. 2 minutes and d100 baht. 
*hosptial wanted 550 plus half hour with a dr.  a high end clinic wanted 300 plus time with dr.

Go to first visit and schedule.  They will give you list of all documents you will need for 'real' visit.

BAD NEWS.  If you are renewing...it appears you must take a 5 hour training on second visit to get your license renewed.

Ironically, people getting first thai license (with valid license from home country) do not have to take it LOL.

21 minutes ago, petermik said:

Farangs CANNOT make an appointment through the DLTASmartque app....it`s for Thai`s only.......

Can. I made appointments online at 2 locations with a foreign passport.

Some locations don't allow foreigners to make appoints online.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Dpone MUCH homework on this in the past week.

You HAVE to go twice yourself.  No agent can prevent that.

I pay agents for many things.  This service they can only really help you with getting your med cert and residency cert.  That is it.  There is no other convenience.

Agents charge 5000 to 6000 for this.  In this case NOT worth it imo.  

However, I DID pay agent to go get my residency cert for the two licenses costing 900 baht.  
Why?  it saved me a lost half day at immigration.  They pick up and deliver after.  Well worth it.

med cert go to a clinic. 2 minutes and d100 baht. 
*hosptial wanted 550 plus half hour with a dr.  a high end clinic wanted 300 plus time with dr.

Go to first visit and schedule.  They will give you list of all documents you will need for 'real' visit.

BAD NEWS.  If you are renewing...it appears you must take a 5 hour training on second visit to get your license renewed.

Ironically, people getting first thai license (with valid license from home country) do not have to take it LOL.

For renewal of 5 year license (within 1 year after the expiry date on current license) its a one hour online video to watch, after which you save a copy on the phone or it can be accessed again in the app which you show to the dlt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dart12 said:

No.

I did renewal 2 weeks ago, did the online video ( 1 hour ) got license in one visit.

Not Pattaya but i've done it there in the past with one visit also.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:00 PM, userabcd said:

For renewal of 5 year license (within 1 year after the expiry date on current license) its a one hour online video to watch, after which you save a copy on the phone or it can be accessed again in the app which you show to the dlt.

I've not gone in and done it myself so I can't tell you.. I just know there is a sign there saying training needed.  This began after July this year.

Hope it doesn't last if true...what a waste of time for experienced drivers.

On 8/12/2022 at 12:56 PM, userabcd said:

Can. I made appointments online at 2 locations with a foreign passport.

Some locations don't allow foreigners to make appoints online.

link to app please? and thank you

Ok. So here’s my actual experience as of today 17/8/22 at Pattaya DLT office renewing my initial 2 year licences (motorbike and car) with 5 yr licences 

The DLT smart que App can be downloaded from Apple store or Playstore. It does allow foreigners to book on line FOR SOME DLT offices, unfortunately not for Pattaya.

licence renewal can be done up to 6 months before and 1 year after your current licence expires

you must visit the office to book an appointment to renew your licence.  I don’t now if an agent can do this without your attendance.

Booking table is now outside under a tent, a Covid control measure I’m assuming.  Grab a booking queue number and wait your turn!

They need to see your passport to determine eligibility and type of licence to be granted.  No passport, no booking.  I believe that short term visa holders are only issued a 2year! Rather then a 5 year licence extension.

Bookings are currently available within couple of days.

With your booking slip they will give you a list of all documentation required.

In my case;-

Residence certificate, one original plus one copy for the two licences. 300bht from imigration

Medical certificate, one original plus one copy for the two licences 100bht plus, depending on where you get it from.

Copy of passport information page and visa page( x2 for the two licences)

Copy for both sides of each current licence

My booking sheet had a line drawn through the requirement to complete the 1hr on-line training refresher.  I’d already completed it and received the completion QR code but was not asked for it.  An agent confirmed that it’s not required for 2yr to 5yr renewals 

You’ll need copies of your home country and/or? international driving permit if it’s your first Thai licence.

On the day, booking time is 30 minutes before the process starts so no point in arriving early.  Your paperwork will be checked, again at the outside booking desk and taken from you.  You also get a ‘ticket’ for the next stage of the process on the second floor of the building.

Once inside you’ll take the ‘name the traffic light colours’ and Emergency Stop braking test. The ‘depth perception’ test was not used for my group.

if you pass you’ll have your appear work returned and pay the necessary fee, all done on the second floor of the building. On payment you’ll be given a further numbered ticket for your place in the photograph queue.

Photographs are now taken outside.  You’ll be called up in groups by number.

Once taken your licence(s) will be produced and brought outside to you within about 10-15 minutes.

One final point.  It appears that licence expiry dates for renewed licences are set 5 years from your next birthday.  If your renewal is due close to your birthday you can probably score the equivalent of an extra year on your licence by waiting until after your birthday to renew.

ps.  I was told that agents are asking around 3,500bht to hold your hand.

Cheers

Edited by Chillypom

26 minutes ago, Chillypom said:

My booking sheet had a line drawn through the requirement to complete the 1hr on-line training refresher.  I’d already completed it and received the completion QR code but was not asked for it.  An agent confirmed that it’s not required for 2yr to 5yr renewals 

Thanks for all the info. To be clear you said you completed the 1 hour refresher. Was this done with the DLT smart que App? I just would rather complete the refresher and not need it than have to take it the day of my appointment.

Thanks again for all the info. It has been very helpful.

Edited by biervoormij
typo