Outside Thailand when my work is terminated

As things stand now I will be back in the UK on the date that an offered (and unexpected) three-month extension to my employment contact after retirement expires. For ‘long story’ reasons, changing my family’s flights or persuading my employer to terminate earlier may cost me very dearly (100k baht up).

My understanding is that the requirement is that I go to go in person to Labour Department on the day my employment ends to cancel my work permit and (since it is the One Stop place) cancel my current visa extension valid to August 2023 at the same time, and replace it with a 7-day extension. If so, I see no solution to this other than to take the financial hit. 

My questions are:

Firstly, might my employer be allowed to return my work permit without my presence or might I be allowed to appear in person late, four weeks after my work permit is returned, and pay a fine, without affecting my ability to get another work permit.

Secondly, does anybody know if it would it be possible to request a change of the reason for my current visa extension to ‘based on marriage’ prior to submitting the paperwork for my next work permit extension in November? i.e., kind of decoupling my visa from my work permit. My current visa extension is until July 2023 and is based on employment. Or would that change mean I would require a new work permit, rather than an extension?

I would be requesting a visa/ visa extension based on marriage after my return from the UK anyway and have leave to use up, so the time for paperwork isn’t a consideration .

Re the work permit, I can't quote you the law or relevant regualtions, however:

- I've handed the WP to the HR lady 4 weeks after I finished work (I forgot), she didn't say anything and I'm aware that she did hand it in weeks later when she went to Din Daeng for a completely different reason.

- Same employer a couple of years later, I resigned and I asked the HR lady for a correct date to give her the WP book. Her respons, 'not important, forget about it'. I still have it 2 years later.

I have PR so I can't comment on the visa questions.

• Like 2

About 6 or 7 years ago I was consulting and the contract completed. I thought I’d have to hand in the WP and leave the country within 7 days... The employer told me not worry about the work permit, they just told me it doesn’t matter, let it run out. 

I took a month break in the UK.

The extension of Stay (based on working) expired a day after I returned. 

The officer initially attempted to stamp me in for one day !!

I objected, got a senior immigration officer involved and was stamped in as normal (under my Thai Elite Visa).

Thus: As I understand - IF you are overseas you can just let the Work Permit and Visa run out. 

When you return, return as normal (on a new visa or visa exempt). 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 5:53 PM, scorecard said:

Re the work permit, I can't quote you the law or relevant regualtions, however:

- I've handed the WP to the HR lady 4 weeks after I finished work (I forgot), she didn't say anything and I'm aware that she did hand it in weeks later when she went to Din Daeng for a completely different reason.

- Same employer a couple of years later, I resigned and I asked the HR lady for a correct date to give her the WP book. Her respons, 'not important, forget about it'. I still have it 2 years later.

I have PR so I can't comment on the visa questions.

A belated big thank you for that.  

On 8/15/2022 at 6:22 PM, richard_smith237 said:

About 6 or 7 years ago I was consulting and the contract completed. I thought I’d have to hand in the WP and leave the country within 7 days... The employer told me not worry about the work permit, they just told me it doesn’t matter, let it run out. 

I took a month break in the UK.

The extension of Stay (based on working) expired a day after I returned. 

The officer initially attempted to stamp me in for one day !!

I objected, got a senior immigration officer involved and was stamped in as normal (under my Thai Elite Visa).

Thus: As I understand - IF you are overseas you can just let the Work Permit and Visa run out. 

When you return, return as normal (on a new visa or visa exempt). 

Many thanks. This and the above are helpful as if there is hope I’ll keep my flights, try to work it out with HR and maybe even ask an officer about it when we go to renew the permit/ get a new permit in November. 

And sorry for being so slow to respond. It was a crazy week. Got my team back working in the office for the first time (first time ever for some!) and of course there is a positive test result by someone we all had contact with on day two of the return…. This excuse for @scorecard too - but it really was a busy week.

Edited by Nonthaburi Boy

41 minutes ago, Nonthaburi Boy said:

Many thanks. This and the above are helpful as if there is hope I’ll keep my flights, try to work it out with HR and maybe even ask an officer about it when we go to renew the permit/ get a new permit in November. 

And sorry for being so slow to respond. It was a crazy week. Got my team back working in the office for the first time (first time ever for some!) and of course there is a positive test result by someone we all had contact with on day two of the return…. This excuse for @scorecard too - but it really was a busy week.

No problem I know this situation well; 12 years as regional (all Asia) and Thailand director for an Internatioal Mangement Consultantancy, sudden flights and pressure par for the course.  (Real example; HK office calls "We made a proposal to a Gov't agency for an organizational audit, change recommendations and upgrade of design then then implementtion of several Management policies & processes and performance processes, about US$3M. They just called, they like our presentation and they want a further presentation/discussion this afternoon up to 8:00 pm to the ultimate minister involved. Presentation must be by a western consultant with a Ph.D. in organization theory and practice. Today is final day, cannot be extended.". So a scramble, partner meets me at Bkk airport with cabin bag - change of clothes, Travel agent gets a seat on mid afernoon flight. I arrive at boarding gate 5 minutes before boarding closed. HK Snr staff meet me at HK airport with the initial presentation copy and we conduct further discussion re of the questions etc asked at first presentation in the car. We drive direct to Gov't office. Second presentation/discussion finished at 7:30 pm. We wait in exec. lounge area, 7:45 called back into main room, minsiter tells us we got the contract.

Meanwhile I'm juggling calls to Jakarta, close to winning a sizeable conract but potential customer wants something adjusted and has added more scope and can I suggest some different words for xxxx xxxx, their owner doesn't like the original words, and more. Meanwhile staff in Bkk are struggling to complete an implemenation plan for a contract already won with a very big demanding Thai company.

Meanwhile I'm getting calls from my Thai son, he's at HS in Singapore and wants to discuss what subjects he should register for re next semester and has to be submitted today.

This is life.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1