vietienne to botan / kunming anyone ?

mooping20Baht

hello, i've seen a short video of nowinlao guy to vang vieng, i'm curious if its possible to continue to kunming ?

maybe there is some covid restrictions , if the border is open to western travellers @ botan?

if not anything to see around botan , etc

China closed for entry from the train for passengers just now.

Was on train in last month.

Book tickets online in advance or through agencies in Vientiane 3 days minumum ahead of time...the stooooopid ticket booth in city centre shopping mall only accepts all these obscure app payments cards and no info in English at the booth at all.

What is most notable is no large station has its name in giant letters in English on it Only Chinese/Lao - then English on the smaller signs and digital displays of routes.

There is a 25 baht bus that goes to the train station direct from main bus station market that is synced to train times in Vientiane..they have destroyed the bus station with construction.

Bus number 28 I believe, to train station, then you can avoid the scammy tuktuk guys in Vientiane with their no brake pad tuktuks.

Buying tickets on the day at Vientiane station good luck, it's queued out the door nearly every day and most tickets gone same-day from Vient.

On the train you now see the most remote hamlets/villages nestled among steep mountains which you'd not see on the old road routes.

Train smooth as butter.

Since opening late December- prices and departure times moved around a bit.

Here are some Vang Vieng station photos...I had to get a minivan there to connect to the train next day...lot of people get off at VV so you can book same-day in VV going north.... I'm pretty sure they could have put the station nearer VV centre...good long-term biz for tuk tuks on all stations along the line....stations so far out in all cases.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2022 at 2:21 AM, AndyFoxy said:

Not sure but I think so. I’m in Hong Kong and when they finally open the border with China, me and the wife are hoping to go HK to Kunming by train, and then Kunming to Vientiane by train. 

would love to hear a trip report!