Bangkok: New governor announces crackdown on illegal parking next month after "Traffy Fondue" study

webfact

1 minute ago, SuwadeeS said:

The last crackdown on motorcycles on the sidewalk with a promissed reward was a big lie as well.

I never got 1 Baht.

Perhaps you were too slow and someone reported the offenders before you did.  It was never claimed that everyone who reported offences would be rewarded, for you to suggest that it was is the big lie.

It’s a great idea. But there are so many parking violators and vehicles.  It’s going to be not an easy task to enforce. 
At least the new governor is trying.  I give him credit for that. 

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

During lockdown, with hardly any traffic, the police were all over this, wiring the wheels of every car they could find on our soi.

Now the traffic is horrendous, cars are parking where the hell they like, seriously restricting the traffic flow.......and not a single policeman to be seen.

I wonder if during the lockdown, police tea money was limited and other sources had to be found?????

Highly provable 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lujanit said:

The BMA can't even switch on installed traffic lights that would help with the flow of traffic.  How are they going to police the tens of thousands of illegally parked cars, trucks, taxis etc on a daily basis.  Just word salad.

Buggers put the boot in mine last weekend I’m driving rain. Worse he put note of offence in open plastic bag under wiper open side up, papers fell apart on removal.
Was not amused 

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

During lockdown, with hardly any traffic, the police were all over this, wiring the wheels of every car they could find on our soi.

Now the traffic is horrendous, cars are parking where the hell they like, seriously restricting the traffic flow.......and not a single policeman to be seen.

I wonder if during the lockdown, police tea money was limited and other sources had to be found?????

Please please start with Sukhumvit soi's 3 and 4,  not only do the illegally parked cars taxis and motorbikes cause terrible congestion they also create dangerous situations. Should be easy enough there is a police box complete with multi CCTV cameras on the corner of Sukhumvit Rd and the Soi 3 & 4 intersection.    

• Like 1

It's hot, it's wet. No policeman wants to solve Bangkok's parking problems.  Never met anyone who knows it's illegal to park closer than 30 feet from the corner of a junction. 

A topic of discussion over the years has been the high number of cul de sacs in Bangkok. These make it impossible to escape main road jams by nipping through a soi. As the hub of illegal, collapsing buildings and flaming bars, the guv'nor should consider taking opportunities to knock them down to build shortcut roads.

As for multistorey carparks, there's some near BTS stations but very few. The BMA could make a bit of cash by investing in them or licensing private companies to build them.

6 hours ago, kennw said:

Please please start with Sukhumvit soi's 3 and 4,  not only do the illegally parked cars taxis and motorbikes cause terrible congestion they also create dangerous situations. Should be easy enough there is a police box complete with multi CCTV cameras on the corner of Sukhumvit Rd and the Soi 3 & 4 intersection.    

With soi 3 being so wide, I see they now double park all the way down.

9 hours ago, Guderian said:

...but what is the switch in your car that puts both indicators going at the same time for then? It's obviously a park-anywhere switch so that you can let others know you're exercising your right as a free Thai citizen to do as you bleeding well like! Someone once told me that it was a hazard warning indicator, but that's obviously nonsense or else every car in the country would have it going all the time.

I thought that was a drive against the flow of traffic on a 4 lane switch 

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The top men and traffic experts were also discussing the implimentation of something called the ITMS - Intelligence Traffic Management System, according to the media. 

How about some car-parks?

Multi story places going up everywhere with no parking facilities to match the number of occupants or customers?

City planning is zero.

Always amused that whenever a car here is illegally parked and blocking traffic flow, it's booted so it will continue blocking traffic. Where I come from, the offending car would be towed, problem solved. Tow truck drivers make good money towing these cars, so there's no shortage of willing drivers for this task. It'd makes sense to implement it here, but...

Edited by prism
typo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Guderian said:

...but what is the switch in your car that puts both indicators going at the same time for then? It's obviously a park-anywhere switch so that you can let others know you're exercising your right as a free Thai citizen to do as you bleeding well like! Someone once told me that it was a hazard warning indicator, but that's obviously nonsense or else every car in the country would have it going all the time.

I thought it was an "I am going straight ahead......muck the rest of you" indicator.

On 8/18/2022 at 10:51 AM, webfact said:

"... something called the ITMS - Intelligence Traffic Management System... "

Yup, it is 'something'. Although non of them know what the hell it is. It's just a collection of alphabets brandished around to cover up the ineptness and hoodwinking the rest into thinking 'something' is being done.

19 hours ago, swm59nj said:

It’s a great idea. But there are so many parking violators and vehicles.  It’s going to be not an easy task to enforce. 
At least the new governor is trying.  I give him credit for that. 

WHY give him credit......when there are many places where vehicles should NOT park.....

The POLICE should be doing their jobs properly.......and book any vehicle NOT complying to laws/rules that already exist!!!!!