Nightmare dealing with ANZ bank from Thailand.

Trying to get through and actually talk to someone who knows what they are doing is an absolute nightmare. You are put on hold for 10 or 15 minutes, then you get a call centre in India who then transfers you to another number, where you are put on hold again. This is not a one-off, this happens nearly every time I try and call. I tried filling out a complaint form, but the box where you put a phone number will only accept five numbers, so you can't complete the form. I'm going to transfer all my money to Thailand, I can't go through the stress of dealing with ANZ any more.

Edited by giddyup

Acute shortages of staff and changing attitudes are the catalyst of many banks making it difficult to contact plus the added security now days from all sort of sophisticated scammers and crooks makes it even harder...

4 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Acute shortages of staff and changing attitudes are the catalyst of many banks making it difficult to contact plus the added security now days from all sort of sophisticated scammers and crooks makes it even harder...

ANZ are probably no worse than many others, even trying to contact local banks here can be difficult, but at least you can resolve matters with a visit, something that isn't possible with overseas banks. I'm 80 now and have no intention of ever returning to Australia, so all my money might as well be here. It will also prevent any difficulties with my will when I cark it.

A year ago I had to contact my bank (CBA) in Oz, I called on my mobile, waited 50 minutes to get someone to talk to, chewed up a whole bunch of my phone credit. Anyway the operator told me next time contact them via FB. So that's what I do now and get excellent service. I recently had to get a new card. I sent CBA a PM via FB, 5 minutes later I was discussing my situation with someone. Then they phoned me, checked me out with security questions, and my new card was posted to me in Thailand.

So see if you can find ANZ on FB.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, giddyup said:

ANZ are probably no worse than many others, even trying to contact local banks here can be difficult, but at least you can resolve matters with a visit, something that isn't possible with overseas banks. I'm 80 now and have no intention of ever returning to Australia, so all my money might as well be here. It will also prevent any difficulties with my will when I cark it.

It is getting more difficult for folks who don't go back regularly to deal with the banks. The increased KYC requirements often require a copy of ID signed by an authorised person (like JP) which may cost time and money to obtain here. My advice is if going back make certified copies, there is a JP pretty much in every library, only little bit of time needed.

One may also need Aussie phone number, easy to get ongoing prepaid number to receive SMS authentication.

When talking with the banks I use Skype credit, it is way cheaper - an hour of talk could be as low as $3-4. Last time I spent on the phone with Ubank nearly an hour.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, most of the banks have chat via their banking apps nowadays. Have you tried similar with ANZ ?

The ANZ app says "not available in your country", so you see why it's so difficult to actually talk to someone from ANZ, instead you have to deal with call centes who don't give a damn.