Any AN members living in Myanmar?

simon43

After leaving Naypyitaw in late 2018, and a spell of living in Laos and Thailand while teaching online, I'm returning to live and work in Myanmar in a couple of weeks from now.  I'm exchanging the 'delights' of Pattaya for the uncertainty of living in Yangon, with growing civil unrest.  I decided to return to Myanmar because it is easier for me to do my (very small-scale), educational charity work for Myanmar students if I'm actually living in the country again. I think my efforts (although small) will be welcome by many students who are unable to attend school

I will be teaching at an international school, and will continue to teach online in the evening/weekends.  This joint income will certainly help to cover the cost of books for my charity work.  Alas, it's no longer safe for me to visit Shan State by motorbike - so book deliveries will be by bus postal service.

Who else is living in Myanmar right now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And now (just for a moment), not even me!  I was teaching in Yangon, but got struck down with pneumonia.  I'm resting in Samui, and hope to return to Myanmar as soon as I have fully recovered.  I passed my teaching job to another 'old hand' Myanmar teacher, so now I need to find a new job in Myanmar (which isn't always easy).

It's actually a bit of a crazy scenario.  I earn more money teaching online than I do teaching in-class at an international school.  But I'm keen to do both (in-class during the day and online in the evening/weekends).  I found the internet connectivity from Myanmar 'acceptable' for online classes, (not the fastest, not the slowest connection, but OK).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is like 'me and my diary' ????

Dear diary

Well, I'm fully recovered from my pneumonia and keen to get back to Myanmar.  I was offered no less than 5 jobs at international/private schools in Myanmar, 3 in Yangon, 1 in Naypyitaw and 1 in Mandalay.  I've accepted the job in Mandalay (I was a teacher in that city some 5 years ago).  I hope to relocate in about 2 weeks from now, as soon as I can get the visa.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 7:00 AM, simon43 said:

Right... so just me then? ????

Hi there! I thought I’d stop on by this ghost town just to see what all the excitement was about????. Well so-long, I wish you luck and try not to spend to much time talking to yourself ????

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, simon43 said:

I hope to relocate in about 2 weeks from now, as soon as I can get the visa.

I'm guessing your ham radio hobby will need to take a back seat. I can't imagine a fidgety military will readily understand a foreigner with a radio transmitter. 

Take care.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Stocky said:

I'm guessing your ham radio hobby will need to take a back seat. I can't imagine a fidgety military will readily understand a foreigner with a radio transmitter. 

Take care.

They actually told me that it's all cool and come on over with my transceiver!  But I guess this is a cunning plan on their part to throw me in jail, since they gave Aung San Suu Kyi 3 years jail term for possessing 3 walkie-talkies!  My rig will stay in Thailand for now ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Did you have an HIV test?

You're a bit young to get pneumonia without an underlying immune problem.

Yes, I had an HIV test (negative).  But I knew it was pneumonia because I know the 'feeling' in my own body. I have had this several times previously (the last time about 12 years ago got me into Bumrungrad for a week!).  My immune system is strong, but my lungs are not (aspergillosis for 25 years).  

Anyway, all good now and just waiting to see if the Myanmar immigration will give me an entry visa (they did about 4 weeks ago, so my new school employer has requested a business visa for me and now we are waiting...)

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 2:19 PM, simon43 said:

Yes, I had an HIV test (negative).  But I knew it was pneumonia because I know the 'feeling' in my own body. I have had this several times previously (the last time about 12 years ago got me into Bumrungrad for a week!).  My immune system is strong, but my lungs are not (aspergillosis for 25 years).  

Anyway, all good now and just waiting to see if the Myanmar immigration will give me an entry visa (they did about 4 weeks ago, so my new school employer has requested a business visa for me and now we are waiting...)

Fark - All business visas are suspended, as of about 1 week ago!  I'm cooling my heels in Bangers, so will need to teach the classes online if the visa doesn't appear before term starts on the 17th.  No problem, never mind, carry on, nothing to see...

• 3 months later...