Question on US Federal Benefits Unit message/interview on Medicare application

My deadline for enrollment in Medicare A+B without penalty is Aug. 31. On July 20 I emailed the FBU in Manila requesting enrollment. I just received an email from them scheduling a telephone interview in September. The email said, “Your protective filing date is 07/20/2022.”

Does that mean they consider the date I sent the request to be the date that I enrolled, and I have thus already made the deadline for enrollment without penalty? The September interview date would be past the deadline.

Secondly, what happens at the phone interview? What do they ask? Do I need to prepare anything? Do they officially enroll you during the interview, or will there be further steps?

Lastly, any tips on how to phone FBU Manila? The line is constantly occupied, with no queuing system.

Thanks.

Google "your protective filing date" -- yes, what you thought seems to be correct.

The phone interview was very easy.  I don't recall if they called me, or sent me a number, but contact wasn't a problem.  Questions were basically about where I lived, when I wanted to sign up, and making sure I understood the system.  I was fine with starting to pay a few months sooner than was technically necessary, which seemed to strike them as odd.  

I set up a quarterly auto-pay system via my US bank (because I wasn't collecting SS yet).  Medicare has its own monthly debit system, but it was more paperwork to set up.  I also get a bill here in Bangkok from the Manila office that invariably arrives right around the due date, after I've already paid it via the US bank.  

Medicare has a website / account system, and their US help line is human and very helpful.   The only tricky part is that you have to remember that the rate may go up a bit each year (it gets published online).    But they'll allow one or two quarters' slack before you're penalized.  

Good luck, 

-- Retiree