Stitches Removed

Drew345

I got some stitches on my finger just before coming to Thailand and need to get them removed tomorrow or the next day. When I search "clinics" I get dental clinics, aesthetic clinics, etc., but don't see anything I would consider a health clinic. I'm in On Nut if that matters. Don't want to go to a international hospital, or certainly not to any emergency room. What would I search for for a local small surgery clinic, or something like that to remove stitches?

Actually medical service is normally done in the out patient departments of hospitals here.  Clinics are, as you have found, mostly specific procedures and general medical clinics mostly pill sellers but should be OK for stitch removals.  As for ER they are not usually more expensive than elsewhere and should be easy visit.  They are also the place for wound cleaning and such.  Or just visit any hospital front desk and explain - yes probably a couple hundred baht service fee included with doctor fee but all in can not imagine more than 2k and probably much less.   Seems to be many medical clinics in your area:

https://goo.gl/maps/rZBtqn1tWakUqADd8

• Like 1

pulling out stiches doesn't get any easier ...

... just pull from the 'knotted' end after cutting.

Little alcohol or peroxide, extra protect against infection.  Same thing you'll pay some clinic nurse to do.

• Like 2

Had a fall in my garden, went to the local Government Hospital emergency room..  all sorted cleaned and 12 stiches later on the top of my head = total cost 250 baht - new Dressings cost 75 - 150 baht per visit x 4 - .   Stiches out was 200 baht..

Last time I went to a international hospital here was 2004.....  get the same service at a fraction of the price at a Government Hospital........  being older and hopefully wiser last time went to a Clinic was 2014.......   of course there is a PLUS side = there maybe a person or 2 also waiting in front of you......  Government Hospital plan on a hour or 3 waiting time

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually medical service is normally done in the out patient departments of hospitals here.  Clinics are, as you have found, mostly specific procedures and general medical clinics mostly pill sellers but should be OK for stitch removals.  As for ER they are not usually more expensive than elsewhere and should be easy visit.  They are also the place for wound cleaning and such.  Or just visit any hospital front desk and explain - yes probably a couple hundred baht service fee included with doctor fee but all in can not imagine more than 2k and probably much less.   Seems to be many medical clinics in your area:

https://goo.gl/maps/rZBtqn1tWakUqADd8

As above.

Outpatient clinics in Thailand -  and especially in  Bangkok - are mainly located in hospitals. 

Sukhumvit hospital is probably closest to  you. 

• Like 1

Oh, I wish I could have found the Sukumwit Hospital sooner, it didn't show up when I searched for Hospitals. But I see it now.

Actually I ended up going to a "Public Health Center" at Ekkamai station exit 3, right next to Wat That Thong. It was about a 2 hour wait. 1 hour no aircon, then 1 hour inside aircon. Prie was 200 Bt. It wasn't a bad experience actually. I'm surprised they didn't just tell me to go to Sukumwit Hospital, seems to be right next door.
Anyway, stitches are out, all is good. Thank you all.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 8:47 AM, hotandsticky said:
On 8/21/2022 at 8:39 AM, Swimfan said:

Why not just take them out yourself 

DOH! If he wanted to that he wouldn't have asked the question.

There are several reasons why I would not take them out myself.

Maybe he [the Op] was not aware that this is something easily done ourselves. 

I’ve removed 15 stitches myself a few months back (from 3 different wounds) while holidaying in the UK (after receiving treatment in Thailand the week before). It was just easier taking the stitches out myself, with the help of my Wife that it was bothering with getting a Doctors appointment etc.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/21/2022 at 8:53 AM, bkk6060 said:

Did you search medical clinics? Several off Sukhumvit.

I just had some taken out in Pattaya for 600 b.

The hospital wanted 2,500.

Do you remember where was that? We are here in Pattaya now and looking for a place to remove some stitches 

1 minute ago, Arpoador said:

Do you remember where was that? We are here in Pattaya now and looking for a place to remove some stitches 

Oops there, year old thread