Stevia ("sweet Leaf")

webworldly

Greetings....does anyone know where the following sweetener (used as a substitute for sugar) can be purchased? Best if in Phuket....but for starters anyone anywhere (Bangkok maybe?) would help.

The sweetener is known as "Stevia" in the USA....and it seems that in Thailand it is known as "satiwia, หญ้าหวาน (ya wan, or sweet grass in Bangkok)"

CHEERS!

D

TV has a lot of expert information on beer bars, Thai woman, and love problems but not so sure on this subject ?? :o I have looked many times but have never been able to find Stevia in the stores in Thailand but would guess it is available somewhere. I usually bring enough Stevia with me from the US to last me for my 3 month trips to Thailand. If you do not get an answer here, you might have some luck posting in the 'Western foods in Thailand' subforum. Good luck as I would also like to know the answer to your question.

Hi I bought some in the Hmong Village up in Doi Suthep the other day. Not sure if this helps.

Hey Happy7......you bet that helps! Thank you. Two questions if you're still around on this thread. First, is the place you describe in Bangkok or somewhere else? Second, what form was the stuff in....whole leaf with stem, just leaf, powder, or liquid?

Hmmm....and I'm curious....what do you like to use it for?

CHEERS!

D

In Bangkok.

1) Poomthai Shop: Yaa waan 380 Bht/ Kg You can buy Stevia either from the shop or e-shopping

Tel 02-7335778

Email: [email protected]

67/43 Soi Nawamin46 , Nawamin Rd., Klongkum ,Buengkum Bangkok 10240

67/43 ซ.นวมินทร์46 ถ.นวมินทร์ แขวงคลองกุ่ม

เขตบึงกุ่ม กรุงเทพฯ 10240

It is Thai language site

http://www.phoomtai.com/index.htm

Map

http://www.phoomtai.com/Mapjpg.htm

Online shopping

http://www.phoomtai.com/Payment.htm

2) Pure Lite™ (from Idyll Life Co., Ltd.) , stevia glycosides extracted

http://www.idylllife.com/

Idyll Life Co., Ltd.

76 Pahurat Rd.

Banmoh, Bangkok

10200, Thailand

Telephone: (662) 233-7130

Fax: (662) 224-8623

Hi I bought some in the Hmong Village up in Doi Suthep the other day. Not sure if this helps.

Hey Happy7......you bet that helps! Thank you. Two questions if you're still around on this thread. First, is the place you describe in Bangkok or somewhere else? Second, what form was the stuff in....whole leaf with stem, just leaf, powder, or liquid?

CHEERS!

D

Hi Webworldly

In Chiang Mai actually. It was in the dry leaf form. Haven't started using it yet, but I heard it was a good substitute for sugar and good for diabetics as it doesn't increase your blood sugar level (so I've been told) - so I thought I'd like to see what it's like - not that I'm a diabetic, but I'm interested in herbs in general.

What do you use it for?

AY

BambinA....your thorough information helps more than I could have hoped. I am eager to complete the order and be in Stevia heaven! Thank you so much for taking the time not just to respond....but to post the links, the store address, and the phone number. Awesome!!

Happy7....just like you, I plan to use it as a non-blood sugar raising sweetener. It's been a few days since your post....have you taken the plunge and tried it yet? How'z it?

CHEERS!

D

CHEERS!

D

--------------------------------

Did you try GNC. I thought they had a pretty good product line the few times I was there but like here a little on the expensive side. Not sure if they had Stevia or not.

If you can get the liquid it's definitely a better product and will never spoil.

You can make your own extract from soaking one ounce of leaf in a pint of 20% alcohol 40 proof for 14 days then strain it out with a cheese cloth or thin cotton shirt. Wring or sqeeze the cloth with the herb in it to get out as much as possible.

Store it in a dark colored glass bottle.

Good Health,

Pepe'

CHEERS!

D

--------------------------------

Did you try GNC. I thought they had a pretty good product line the few times I was there but like here a little on the expensive side. Not sure if they had Stevia or not.

If you can get the liquid it's definitely a better product and will never spoil.

You can make your own extract from soaking one ounce of leaf in a pint of 20% alcohol 40 proof for 14 days then strain it out with a cheese cloth or thin cotton shirt. Wring or sqeeze the cloth with the herb in it to get out as much as possible.

Store it in a dark colored glass bottle.

Good Health,

Pepe'

Thank you, Pepe. My local GNC is hyper expensive. I'd really prefer to find someone who sells either the leaves, powder, or liquid without GNC's markup. And with the help I received in this thread.....I think I'm on my way!

I appreciate the tip on the home done extraction process. Very interesting. :-)

CHEERS!

D

BambinA....your thorough information helps more than I could have hoped. I am eager to complete the order and be in Stevia heaven! Thank you so much for taking the time not just to respond....but to post the links, the store address, and the phone number. Awesome!!

Happy7....just like you, I plan to use it as a non-blood sugar raising sweetener. It's been a few days since your post....have you taken the plunge and tried it yet? How'z it?

CHEERS!

D

Hi

Finally tried it this morning - the dried leaf is very sweet (I tried a bit) - also used about 4 leaves in a cup of hot water (just to see what it tastes like) - quite sweet with grassy smell! (no wonder Thais call it "Sweet Grass"!), added a Lipton tea bag - ended up being quite nice & refreshing! I think it would be nice in a mixture of herbal teas. Not sure how you would use it in coffee though... May be the Pure Lite stuff might be easier to use.

I wonder how Pepe' 's extract/tincture can be used?? ...might taste quite good with the alcohol! :o

• 4 years later...