Data hotspot from sim to laptop.

truthfix

Hi All

And yes I’ve looked a lot but hit a wall with this.

I’m relocating to an apartment but doesn’t have WiFi. So I’m thinking the best opportunity is to get unlimited data on phone that I can bounce across to the laptop. 

Issue is… I can’t seem to get a set monthly charge for an unlimited data package.

I currently have an AIS sim and add data monthly for gmaps etc outdoors.

Can anybody advise about a monthly unlimited data cost?

Many thanks!

I use a 12 SIM card and works well For me cost about 1400 b a year and I stream movie from   my phone to laptop to TV.  Some even have free calls included for people on same network .... Shop around lazada get cheaper 

16616011856411238373111526258607.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have an AIS sim with unlimited data. I hotspot my laptop to it and use 80+ GBs/month - all works fine. From the AIS app you can select numerous monthly prepaid plans. Also they have a 6 month plan for BHT1400 which is much more cost effective than monthly!

AIS1.jpg

Edited by oliverphoenix2
upload better image
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oliverphoenix2 said:

I have an AIS sim with unlimited data. I hotspot my laptop to it and use 80+ GBs/month - all works fine. From the AIS app you can select numerous monthly prepaid plans. Also they have a 6 month plan for BHT1400 which is much more cost effective than monthly!

AIS1.jpg

Thanks that’s a great deal! I work a lot with video… Do you ever have issues with streaming on 4Mbps?

On 8/27/2022 at 11:52 PM, truthfix said:

Thanks that’s a great deal! I work a lot with video… Do you ever have issues with streaming on 4Mbps?

I have the 3500 baht for 6Mbps. I get stuttering once in a while, usually on Saturday afternoon or Sunday noonish. I use the 'Mobile Hotspot & tethering' on my Samsung A23. Very satisfied, usually have Netflix on Roku and Chrome on Laptop running many hours a day.

There are many faster cheaper options but I didn't know that back in April.

I do suggest you look at the bars on your phone WiFi while at the condo to see if you get a strong connection.

On 8/27/2022 at 5:16 PM, truthfix said:

I’m relocating to an apartment but doesn’t have WiFi. So I’m thinking the best opportunity is to get unlimited data on phone that I can bounce across to the laptop. 

If you have a relatively new phone shouldn't be a problem. If not you should check phone capability before shopping.

My wife bought me one from lazada but couldn't set it up so called the service hotline, after a few settings were checked was told the phone wasn't up to that standard, sent the sim back for a refund.

Bought a lower spec and that works ok.

Have you downloaded the my AIS app on your phone. Check out the add on top packages Unlimited 4Mbs for 1 year 2500baht and Unlimited 6Mbs 3500baht. I have been using the 4Mbs for the last year no problems might upgrade to the 6 Mbs package next week when the current one expires.

12 hours ago, andygrr said:

Have you downloaded the my AIS app on your phone. Check out the add on top packages Unlimited 4Mbs for 1 year 2500baht and Unlimited 6Mbs 3500baht. I have been using the 4Mbs for the last year no problems might upgrade to the 6 Mbs package next week when the current one expires.

I have also been using the 4 Mbps for the last year (in Phuket) - occasionally hangs a little when streaming high resolution stuff. A few days ago the package expired and I tested a short 6 Mbps package and the speed is exactly the same for both in my location - around 3 Mbps on a number of different speedtest websites, (except Ookla which always gives way faster results for some reason - 50+ Mbps).

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2022 at 8:01 PM, oliverphoenix2 said:

I have also been using the 4 Mbps for the last year (in Phuket) - occasionally hangs a little when streaming high resolution stuff. A few days ago the package expired and I tested a short 6 Mbps package and the speed is exactly the same for both in my location - around 3 Mbps on a number of different speedtest websites, (except Ookla which always gives way faster results for some reason - 50+ Mbps).

Can I ask, as I have AIS 6mbps unlimited, I assumed 6 is the streaming rate capacity and unlimited is simply that? Reason for asking is it’s been working like a charm but today I cannot hotspot to laptop. I dloaded a 100mb file last night. 

I don’t know if that is an issue but today I cannot get data on laptop! Have you ever experienced this or any ideas? Many Thanks!

First you have to find out which provider works best at your location. I just installed a SIM router and tested True Move, DTAC and AIS at my location. For packages you should look at Lazada. At the moment I have a 30 Mbps unlimited data from AIS for 235 Baht a month. Works great at my location. 

On 10/9/2022 at 4:51 PM, Mickeymaus said:

First you have to find out which provider works best at your location. I just installed a SIM router and tested True Move, DTAC and AIS at my location. For packages you should look at Lazada. At the moment I have a 30 Mbps unlimited data from AIS for 235 Baht a month. Works great at my location. 

Mine was also working great at this location so it’s nothing to do with which works here but as my msg suggested after dloading a 100mb file, now I cannot hotspot. That’s the issue.????

23 minutes ago, truthfix said:

Mine was also working great at this location so it’s nothing to do with which works here but as my msg suggested after dloading a 100mb file, now I cannot hotspot. That’s the issue.????

It is important to find out which provider works best at your location. In regard of monthly packages I have an AIS 30 Mbps unlimited data for 235 Baht a month. You will not get such a package at AIS. You will have to buy it at Lazada. If you don't know how let me know it. There are many different packages from True. DTAC, AIS and whatever. You will get many of them only at Lazada or Shopee. Not at True, DTAC or AIS. 

Which package do you use now? 

1 hour ago, truthfix said:

Mine was also working great at this location so it’s nothing to do with which works here but after dloading a 100mb file, now I cannot hotspot. 

Are you using an iphone hotspot?  I used my iPhone for a month when I arrived in Thailand last year, and had MANY problems with the hotspot disappearing by itself, or sometimes failing to connect even though the password was correct.  It's a well known IOS "bug".

If so, try switching airplane mode on then off again, then check hotspot is still enabled in phone settings. That for me usually made the hotspot become available again for the laptop.

Can also try off/on wifi, or as a last resort switch the phone off then on again.  But in my experience the airplane mode usually fixed the problem (temporarily).

After a month I got a proper plug in 4G router which I've been using ever since - https://www.advice.co.th/product/4g-router-mifi-aircard/3g-4g-router

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 8:16 PM, ed79 said:

Are you using an iphone hotspot?  I used my iPhone for a month when I arrived in Thailand last year, and had MANY problems with the hotspot disappearing by itself, or sometimes failing to connect even though the password was correct.  It's a well known IOS "bug".

If so, try switching airplane mode on then off again, then check hotspot is still enabled in phone settings. That for me usually made the hotspot become available again for the laptop.

Can also try off/on wifi, or as a last resort switch the phone off then on again.  But in my experience the airplane mode usually fixed the problem (temporarily).

After a month I got a proper plug in 4G router which I've been using ever since - https://www.advice.co.th/product/4g-router-mifi-aircard/3g-4g-router

Thanks for the info and if this helps anybody… I found a YouTube video, as I was trying anything and everything and on Mac in network settings I changed the DNS setting numbers and now it works like a charm! :)