Pai to Mae Hong Son Bus

Matt74m

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, its still running from Arcade 2 bus station . Was three mini buses running per day , but they may have increased that  .

Leaves from the back of the bus station , near the 7/11

Pai to Mae Hong Song?

Edited by Bill97

You should be able to get a ticket at the Pai bus station.

Be warned - the road has 1824 bends, forget how many are on the CM-Pai road. That's why it is vans/minibuses only, the bigger buses can't get around the hairpin bends. Be prepared for at least one of the passengers in the van to be carsick.

• Like 2

I'm in Pai right now. Seems like more like 6 mini-buses a day going to and fro. I also see Pai-Mae Hong Song notices up at the bus station. You can find the van schedules (and even book it) easily online.

Was a tad let down by the very tame mini-bus ride. It's curvy, but not that curvy. Plenty of eating at the mid-way cafe stop going on. No one throwing up etc. I think this all harkens back to when Lonely Planet would slightly oversell the adventurousness of going to to places like Pai or Ko Phangan.

Pai is a bit busier than you'd think at the moment and def packs out a bit at the weekend. If you search for Pai, I've just given a days-old trip review of what Pai feels like these days.

6 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I'm in Pai right now. Seems like more like 6 mini-buses a day going to and fro. I also see Pai-Mae Hong Song notices up at the bus station. You can find the van schedules (and even book it) easily online.

Was a tad let down by the very tame mini-bus ride. It's curvy, but not that curvy. Plenty of eating at the mid-way cafe stop going on. No one throwing up etc. I think this all harkens back to when Lonely Planet would slightly oversell the adventurousness of going to to places like Pai or Ko Phangan.

Pai is a bit busier than you'd think at the moment and def packs out a bit at the weekend. If you search for Pai, I've just given a days-old trip review of what Pai feels like these days.

The big old buses used to ply that route and they induced motion sickness , the new small mini buses can handle the terrain much better .

Though it depends on the driver  , a decent slow driver can make it a smooth journey , get a driver going as fast as he can and that can induce motion sickness

On 8/27/2022 at 1:53 PM, Lacessit said:

You should be able to get a ticket at the Pai bus station.

Be warned - the road has 1824 bends, forget how many are on the CM-Pai road. That's why it is vans/minibuses only, the bigger buses can't get around the hairpin bends. Be prepared for at least one of the passengers in the van to be carsick.

Thanks for the tip

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Thanks for the reply. Do you know which site it is bookable on as everything I am trying gives you booking options for Chiang Mai to Pai but not Pai to Mae Hong Son?

5 hours ago, Mickeem said:

My Lisu lady friend only goes back home to Pangmapa when she really has to because of her motion sickness on the bus .. manages to fill a few plastic bags on the way

Doesn't sound fun! ????

2 hours ago, Matt74m said:

Thanks for the reply. Do you know which site it is bookable on as everything I am trying gives you booking options for Chiang Mai to Pai but not Pai to Mae Hong Son?

Just asked at the Pai Bus Station. 

4 minibuses a day: 11:30 AM, 1:30 PM, 3:30, 5:30. No need to book in advance. 3 hour ride, 225 baht.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Matt74m said:

Thanks for the reply. Would you know if the operator is Prem Pracha?

Yes it is . 

Go to the bus station and buy a ticket and then go back to the bus station just before the bus departs .

Show the driver your ticket to make sure you get on the right bus 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Just asked at the Pai Bus Station. 

4 minibuses a day: 11:30 AM, 1:30 PM, 3:30, 5:30. No need to book in advance. 3 hour ride, 225 baht.

Perfect. Thanks so much for asking, very kind of you.

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes it is . 

Go to the bus station and buy a ticket and then go back to the bus station just before the bus departs .

Show the driver your ticket to make sure you get on the right bus 

Thanks ????