My Degree Is My Property?

As you mentioned it is an international school then you have possibly two governing bodies that can and will help. Firstly is ISAT (International school of Thailand) and I assume they either have accreditation or going to have it, then use the accreditation body ie CIS, WES etc to get these back.

I know that some owners believe they can treat you how they feel. I would give her one last chance for the safe return of your certificates.I would put it in writing with a cc to ISAT. If that doesn't work I would post the name of the school on the net and various message boards from the TES forum to international schools review. Other teachers need to be aware of this school and the total disregard for professionalism. Her behaviour is unbelievable. Good luck and don't be blackmailed. Worst case scenario you have to get replacements from your university and TEFL awarding body.

I second being as nice as possible while this crazy woman has your documents/visa-WP/money in her hands. Use the "relative is very ill" story and don't even think twice about it... it's nearly standard procedure for quitting nicely here. Follow up with the embassy story and don't call the police unless you have to. (A few baht to the police may be necessary.)

Once you have a new visa, all your money and documents it's still advisable to wait until your teacher's license is obtained by your new school. I'd strongly advise that you try and get a copy of it now. You can be (wrongly) put on the MOE blacklist for a TL....This is a FACT as I had a school do it to me. It took a lot of string pulling to get me off of the list even though I was wrongly put on it by a vengeful school that fabricated a story to put me on it in the first place.

Once you are in the clear, name and shame this place on TEFL watch forum. It will make it more difficult for them to get teachers (it comes up on Google, quite high up on searching many schools' names) and we'll know where to avoid.

Use the "relative is very ill" story and don't even think twice about it... it's nearly standard procedure for quitting nicely here.

If your boss is a Thai I'm sure they would fully understand and co-operate with you if you used the "my buffalo is sick" line rather than the "my mother is sick" line. It seems that buffalos are always sick in Thailand and I think this might touch the soul of your boss. Im sure you would get your degree returned on the spot and possibly even a return air ticket to your home country.

It also might work in your favor if you're more original for example, if you're from Australia tell you boss your family's kangaroo is ill or if you're from New Zealand tell you boss the family's sheep has developed a headache and you heed to get home right away to give it some parra.

Edited by aussiestyle1983

Are you the only farang in your school? Ask your friends at the school to stand by your side. They could ask for their documents as well.

If the documents are not returned, then everyone stop teaching. A friendly little strike at an international school could do more damage to the reputation of the school than a lawyer could.

If they need teachers at that school so badly, they will cave in.

All good universities do keep on file all of their graduates. Your university will issue you a certified copy of your degree if you tell them the original got lost. all you need is name, birth date and promotion year.

For the TOEFL you probably can get a certified copy driect from any US embassy if you still have the data on hand of where and when you passed it and your ID number.

first thing you need to do is get her voice recorded and her stating that she will not release your documents AND THAT SHE HAS THEM IN HER POSSESSION....

then contact the tourist police if you are legally teaching.

she is playing on your ignorance with the hopes you will stay passive.

she has no rght to withhold your papers.

she will say that she does not have your papers in her possession if pressured by legal authorities...hence the recording, get her to state her name..ask her how to pronouce it slyly....

Have you tired being firm with her ?

Many people including Thais will back down when they see the oposition is serious.

I would wait until your pay day and then go to her office and request the documents.

When she says no, explain they are your property.

Continue sitting there firmly and requesting until she wants to throw you out of the offcie.

Then come back the next day and do the same.

When she sees the only way to solve this 'problem' is to give the docs to you

she will likely cave.

Also, this woman may report to some sort of board of directors.

2 pence worth.

about the only thing i've ever seen school bosses are scared of are the parents.

obviously. parents = money

try this.

act completely normal.

but go to each of your classes and tell the kids you can't teach them until you have your qualification in your CV,

tell them it's been lost in the school somewhere, (i.e. don't directly accuse anyone of doing a bad thing).

go back to staffroom and read a book.

do this day after day for every class.

the parents will get the news very quickly and be asking the boss what's going on.

if you are on good terms with any parents, tell them the same story.

---------------------------

OP, any update?

Thanks for all your comments...........

Update:

Well last Monday came....... i approached 'the boss' carefully again telling her my intention to leave and she again stated her intention of not letting me or returning my documents. I told her this would leave me no choice but to contact my embassy and no doubt they would involve the police- however she did not seem to phased by this.

I went to the police however they suggested talking with her YET again and didn't seem overly interested in my concerns.

Many of the parents last week asked me if i will still be at the school next term to which i have replied 'No- due to 'the loss' of my documents by the school' and made it obvious that i was in dispute with the administrator. Many (according to my T.A) have been asking questions to her and the administrator and have been very vocal about me being a good teacher and that i should be treated fairly.

This week however, i have walked out (ie today i have not attended and don't intend to again) on the advice of my (pricey) lawyer. He has issued a legal letter to her today and if this does not resolve the matter we will start criminal proceedings against her, which my lawyer believes will be easily resolved in our favour. (i hope so........!)

Watch this space............

This week however, i have walked out (ie today i have not attended and don't intend to again) on the advice of my (pricey) lawyer. He has issued a legal letter to her today and if this does not resolve the matter we will start criminal proceedings against her, which my lawyer believes will be easily resolved in our favour. (i hope so........!)

Watch this space............

I hope so. However, the legal system here is very different to back home:

either you can 'sue' (nearest English translation to the action) through a lawyer who will present to your local criminal court the accusation. The court will listen and then decide whether you have a case or not. Just to get to this stage may take many months. However, it's the defendents right to 'sue' you back for making a false accusation. If you cannot prove your case, she wins and you pay compensation. From what you've said this seems the path you are following. If you followed the lesse majeste stuff under Thaksin, you'll have seen one side making the accusation and the other side counter suing. Courts not accepting the charge - eventually etc.....

Alternatively, you present the evidence to the police and if they decide you are puyai enough, will drop them money and have sufficient evidence, they will charge your boss. You do not need to pay a lawyer for this as the investigating officer prepares the case. The great advantage of doing things this way is it's cheap (no lawyer) and the defendent can only sue the police, not you.

It's going to be messy.