Want A Cat-friendly, But Big, Dog

I was about to intrude on a very similar current thread but thought it might confuse replies to that OP.

Anyway here's my situation.

I am going to be moving in august to Chiang Rai to a house in a spacious, very green mooban with lots of space also around my house - all in all pretty ideal for pets.

I already have 3 cats, 2 of them kittens which are very precious to me. I also have 2 male pups (miniature pinschers acquired on impulse) as well as a male mongrel pup from a litter of my neighbour's. (The latter is destined for my girlfriend's family's home - though I might keep him).

I would like to acquire a big dog with a guard dog instinct - but without a desire to harm my cats. A pup would be trainable vis a vis the cats, but I'll take an older dog if his nature is assured in this regard.

I was actually committed to taking a chow from a breeder I know - but my good sense has persuaded me to try a shelter. (Maybe later I'll get the chow too!)

Obviously it will be best for me to find what I want in Chiang Mai. But as it happens I am presently abroad, and my girlfriend who is down south will pick me up in Bangkok on my return - and we will make the longish drive home - picking up our carful of animals en route. So a Bangkok shelter is also feasible.

Though I'm aiming to visit and take a dog in about a month from now, I'd look at any suggestions and ideas with a lot of interest in the meantime.

Thanks for being patient enough to read this over-long post.

I am going to be moving in august to Chiang Rai to a house in a spacious, very green mooban with lots of space also around my house - all in all pretty ideal for pets.

I already have 3 cats, 2 of them kittens which are very precious to me. I also have 2 male pups (miniature pinschers acquired on impulse) as well as a male mongrel pup from a litter of my neighbour's. (The latter is destined for my girlfriend's family's home - though I might keep him).

I would like to acquire a big dog with a guard dog instinct - but without a desire to harm my cats. A pup would be trainable vis a vis the cats, but I'll take an older dog if his nature is assured in this regard.

I was actually committed to taking a chow from a breeder I know - but my good sense has persuaded me to try a shelter. (Maybe later I'll get the chow too!)

Obviously it will be best for me to find what I want in Chiang Mai. But as it happens I am presently abroad, and my girlfriend who is down south will pick me up in Bangkok on my return - and we will make the longish drive home - picking up our carful of animals en route. So a Bangkok shelter is also feasible.

Though I'm aiming to visit and take a dog in about a month from now, I'd look at any suggestions and ideas with a lot of interest in the meantime.

Thanks for being patient enough to read this over-long post.

Hi Lotus eater,

I suggest you go and have a look at Care for Dogs (www.carefordogs.org) or Lanna Dog Rescue (www.Lannadog.net), both in Chiang Mai and both have shelters over-full with nice young and old(er) dogs waiting to be adopted.

Presently I have a 4 year old German Shepherd neutered male in boarding also waiting to be rehomed. If you want more info on this dog, please, PM me.

Nienke

Hi Lotus eater,

I suggest you go and have a look at Care for Dogs (www.carefordogs.org) or Lanna Dog Rescue (www.Lannadog.net), both in Chiang Mai and both have shelters over-full with nice young and old(er) dogs waiting to be adopted.

Presently I have a 4 year old German Shepherd neutered male in boarding also waiting to be rehomed. If you want more info on this dog, please, PM me.

Nienke

Nienke, I have pm'd you.