International Drivers Licence

SoloFlyer

Is it possible to get the above locally using a Thai licence and an Australian one? What else needed?

I believe that all you will need is your Thai licence, photos and the fee - I'm about to test this one out myself so whoever gets there first report back, ok?!

JxP

I believe that all you will need is your Thai licence, photos and the fee - I'm about to test this one out myself so whoever gets there first report back, ok?!

JxP

An international driving permit can be obtained from Chiangmai Department of Lands & Transport on the Hang Dong Road, and you will need the following.....

Passport, both original and copy of main page and visa page.

Current Thai drivers licence and a copy of the front and back.

Letter from your embassy stating your current address

2 passport size photographs

505 baht

Completed application form in Thai

Up till last year these were sent to Bangkok for processing, so allow a couple of weeks. They could of course have changed the system, and actually issue them locally....MM

edit:- syntax

Edited by Maejo Man

JxP

An international driving permit can be obtained from Chiangmai Department of Lands & Transport on the Hang Dong Road, and you will need the following.....

Passport, both original and copy of main page and visa page.

Current Thai drivers licence and a copy of the front and back.

Letter from your embassy stating your current address

2 passport size photographs

505 baht

Completed application form in Thai

Up till last year these were sent to Bangkok for processing, so allow a couple of weeks. They could of course have changed the system, and actually issue them locally....MM

edit:- syntax

Still sent to Bangkok. Allow about 3 weeks for processing. Can be done in person in BKK the same day I was told.

Still sent to Bangkok. Allow about 3 weeks for processing. Can be done in person in BKK the same day I was told.

I have done it many times in Bangkok, but it's a complete pain. Same deal on paperwork, and you apply to the Dept. of Lands and Transport in Pahonyatin Soi 18. Submit your paperwork in the morning and they tell you to return after two o'clock. If you have the time to hang around in the middle of nowhere, it's fine, otherwise another long trip out there the next day.

There is however, a great alternative which was pointed out to me by the Dept. in Bangkok. Armed with just your Thai driving licence, and two passport size photos you can get an English translation of your Thai licence for just twenty baht. It's a sheet of paper giving details of your licence in English, and is used by most Thai students who are studying overseas....MM