UK Passport renewal

Badrabbit

8 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

This is for visas.

There seems to be no appointment system for passport renewal on that website.

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/tha/en/gbr/hmpo

Bangkok | email: [email protected] | Monday to Friday / 08:30- 14:00

Chiang Mai | email: [email protected] | Tuesday and Thursday / 08:30 - 14:00

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OJAS said:

Yep, the UK passport renewal procedures from Thailand are the ultimate in hi-tec!????

Hi, Just after some info really, my renewal is not for quite a while,  my circumstances are as follows I live in Thailand on a non O based on retirement with a yearly extension i visit the UK at least once a year, given the choice would you renew in Thailand or the UK ? I'm wondering about stamp transfers Immigration issues general knob-ache etc. ? any help greatly appreciated TIA

11 hours ago, LoeiI said:

Hi, Just after some info really, my renewal is not for quite a while,  my circumstances are as follows I live in Thailand on a non O based on retirement with a yearly extension i visit the UK at least once a year, given the choice would you renew in Thailand or the UK ? I'm wondering about stamp transfers Immigration issues general knob-ache etc. ? any help greatly appreciated TIA

How long will you be in the UK?  With all the current delays in renewing passports, I'd be worried about not getting the new (and old) passport back in time for my trip home!  Renewing in Thailand is relatively easy if you live near Bangkok or Chiang Mai, or are happy with making the trips to submit application and collect the new passport, or don't mind paying an agent to do this for you. You also don't submit the old passport with the application (just a copy) if you renew in Thailand.

Either way, you'll have to make a trip to Immigration to transfer Extension stamps into the new passport.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Badrabbit said:

If possible renew in the UK, use both Passports for return then transfer stamps when back in Thailand, I don't know this for certain but it would make everything easier if possible

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

How long will you be in the UK?  With all the current delays in renewing passports, I'd be worried about not getting the new (and old) passport back in time for my trip home!  Renewing in Thailand is relatively easy if you live near Bangkok or Chiang Mai, or are happy with making the trips to submit application and collect the new passport, or don't mind paying an agent to do this for you. You also don't submit the old passport with the application (just a copy) if you renew in Thailand.

Either way, you'll have to make a trip to Immigration to transfer Extension stamps into the new passport

Thanks for the info ????

On 9/7/2022 at 10:14 AM, LoeiI said:

Thanks for the info ????

As stated by @Badrabbit definitely renew your passport in the UK rather than in Thailand if I were you. Although the Online Premium and 1-Week Fast Track services were suspended a while back, both now seem to be available again if these links are to be believed:-

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/online-premium-service

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/1-week-fast-track-service

A particular point to bear in mind if renewing in the UK is that you will probably not then need to provide the Embassy's misleadingly-titled "visa transfer" letter when getting your local immigration office to transfer existing stamps from old to new passports. This is because the latest permission to stay stamp which is placed in your new passport by Immigration at BKK Arrivals upon your return to Thailand should provide your local office with the necessary assurance that the new passport is genuine and bona fide in lieu of an Embassy letter.

Edited by OJAS